CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CG Challenge XVII - Master and Servant - 2D
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-22-2005, 09:30 PM   #16
SoniaNotRed
Over and Out
portfolio
Sonia S

What if I want to change from 2D to 3D while retaining the same concept?
Should I just get my ideas more defined before I join in? I already have a concept but I still don't know where it's going, so...

Thank you.

Last edited by SoniaNotRed : 03-22-2005 at 09:33 PM.

Old 03-22-2005, 10:07 PM   #17
erilaz
Stealthy Tea Monkey

portfolio
Martin Brennand
VFX Artist
Melbourne, Australia

I need to change my email to a new account.. how can I alter the address for the challenge email?

Old 03-22-2005, 10:08 PM   #18
SteveNewport
Frequenter
portfolio
Steve Newport
steady freelance work
Columbus College of Art and Design
columbus, OH, USA

Send a message via AIM to SteveNewport
i was hoping i wouldn't have any questions so I could just start, but... yea:

#1) While reading the dictionary definitions for 'servant,' I was wondering if interpreting it as "slave" would be acceptable. If an image leans more on the 'slave' side on the very thin line between servant & slave, will it be discounted more easily?

#2) Does the the 2nd presence (whether master OR servant) have to be visible on the canvas or can it be suggested?

Thanks ahead of time, and I apologize if these are unecessary questions

Old 03-22-2005, 10:12 PM   #19
Seven
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Jon Berry
Character Artist
Freelance
United Kingdom

Back to the 'one character needs to be human' issue. IVe got an idea but both characters in the piece are humaniod but machines. They still have faces, limbs etc but are not organic.

Does that qualify ?

Im thinking Leo wants at least one character to be human so you can relate emotionally with him/her. You can definatly relate emotionally to non human / orgainic characters though.

Old 03-22-2005, 10:28 PM   #20
BaronImpossible
Dr Ass-hat-on

portfolio
Simon Dominic
Illustrator
United Kingdom

My question: Would I be penalised for commenting less than some members might do? People like me on mega-slow connections can wait for 20 minutes for a single forum page with images to load. If this will count against me then I'd be sunk before I started, so I would appreciate an honest answer Thanks

Old 03-23-2005, 12:58 AM   #21
dioxide
Frequenter

Heres a question. I dont know if it has been answered or not. I want to try my hand and compete with all these talented people, however when it comes to coloring your picture i am completely lost. Is it by any chance possible to enter without that ability? You see, all i own is a 11x14 sketchpad and 3 different types of pencils.

I can get a bigger paper, but i dont know how to scan that.

Old 03-23-2005, 02:23 AM   #22
SteveNewport
Frequenter
portfolio
Steve Newport
steady freelance work
Columbus College of Art and Design
columbus, OH, USA

Send a message via AIM to SteveNewport
dioxide:

I would forget about what you think you can/cannot do and just go for it. Honestly, I would think they might be looking for the whole package to see an artists skill level (color, compositiong, dynamics, etc..) but I think if someone made a killer monotone piece, they would consider it. But my advice would be this:
If you don't feel comfortable with color, join the group and try and come up with a concept that requires you to use color. Do some research and participate in the community to get people to your page and give you some advice. There's no class or school that will teach you as much as challenging yourself in a community that will critique you and give you advice. So I'd say go for it, put some effort into it, and no matter what the outcome of the contest, you'll be a better artist because of it

Old 03-23-2005, 04:59 AM   #23
dioxide
Frequenter

Thats just crazy enough to work. Ok this will be my first attempt at doing... anything.

Old 03-23-2005, 07:38 AM   #24
useyourloaf

Adam Apap
Msida, Malta

2D / 3D Question

I am a 2d artist who primarily uses Photoshop but have recently developed a liking for Z-Brush, if I were to do elements in z-brush but ended up with most post work in photoshop what catergory does that put me under 2D or 3D?

Apologies if I posted in the wrong thread, I'm new to Forums!

Old 03-23-2005, 08:18 AM   #25
Daoine
procrastinator

Kevin Barnum
Freelancer
C-Time Studio
Rochester, NY, USA

Ok, here's my question. Many artists (from what I understand), use a base mesh to kick start their "human" characters from. Is this an acceptable practice for a cg challenge. I'd hate to have to throw out a perfectly good head just because it didn't start from a single poly or a cube.

Thanks,
Daoine

Old 03-23-2005, 12:16 PM   #26
Ter-o
Veteran
Tero
Finland

Q: While I know its ok to use 2D textures in this 3D project....is it going to be ok to use a 2D element as a back drop? Like a background....like a matte painting?
A: Yes.

In the other QA there was a question about post-trickery... so.. is it allowed to compile the final picture from 2D and 3D elements (for 3D challenge), for example some small details or light effects (volume light) etc. made in 2d and can all the layers (even 3d) be postprocessed (fe. color balance, using 2d overlay to darken shadows, DoF-effect etc..)

Just curious where does the too-much-post-edited 3d-line go?

Old 03-23-2005, 03:18 PM   #27
bealobo
burninating the city

portfolio
Beatriz Lorenzo
VFX TD
Los Angeles, USA

hi!

this has been asked before, but as no response has been given I must insist

Must the human character be alive? or can it be just a part of it? I think I can get this servant and master relationship without showing the entire human (nor even his face).

My concept is quite complicated and I need to know if I have to change it before I get started, and... I want to start!

thank you

Old 03-23-2005, 05:15 PM   #28
TheCleaner
Ain't Tight? Ain't Right!

portfolio
Leon Rodway
Architectural 3D
DKS Architects
Newcastle/Teesside, United Kingdom

No doubt the forum calms down a bit as far as new threads go after about a week, but how am i supposed to get WIP C&C, when within a matter of minutes my post is on the second page.

Ive added a link in my sig, in hope of getting more people to look, but if i get no feedback, am i to bump my own thread, or start a new one in the 2d WIP forum? (which seems rather redundant)

its my first challenge so im not exactly sure how things go, sorry

Old 03-23-2005, 07:41 PM   #29
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Prefered resolution for milestones?

As publishers I guess you would want 300dpi Tiff copies of the milestones.
What linear dimensions would you want ideally for these milestones?

Old 03-23-2005, 07:57 PM   #30
Gamoron
Lord of the posts

Todd A McCullough
3D/2D Artist
Toronto, Canada

If you take the link to my image, you'll see the concept sketch I have submitted. I intend to use this as the base for my image. I was going to paint right overtop of it.

My question:

What would my lineart be if I wasn't planning on doing any sort of lineart?

Do you have suggestions? Would you like me to quickly create some or is there another way I can meet this milestone?

reply share thread