Master and Servant 3D Entry: Diego Velasco-De Armas

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2005   #61
Modeling: creating the scene

New window on the side, plus a Zbrushed cave interior. This is giving me some really nice highlights and shadows. There is a red light coming from the depths of the cave. From the window there will be a nightlit scene, probably some buildings or some such that would cast a bluish light onto the boy. Now I need to light the scene and make sense of the origins of the lights in a way that makes the scene interesting and dramatic. Should be a lot of shadows in the underside of the beast, and warmer tones in the background of the room.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S
/ Spectacular + WIP / Steampunk

Old 05 May 2005   #62
really nice modelling of the beast man !

good luck

Old 05 May 2005   #63
Lighting: render

This is closer to what I´m trying to achieve wih the lighting. Still a lot to do, but at least the general idea is here. Will have to do a lot of faked bounce lights, the preliminary tests with mental ray just showed me that I could have a good looking image sometime around friday... So This is mental ray, but without GI, final gather, etc. I actually don´t think that GI & final gather are the end all of lighting, they just quicken the path there. Then again, once the scene is lit, you either have to bake everything, or it usually flickers.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

Old 05 May 2005   #64
Wow

Hey Diego!

You´ve accomplished so much these past few days! Way to go!

As far as lighting go (though I know you´re not done with it quite yet), perhaps you could focus a little more on the boy, to emphasize the devilish look you´re going for. Since you rigged the boy, you could also tweak his pose a little bit, in order to make it clearer what he´s in there for. Maybe to straighten up his spine and legs a bit, giving him a more assertive look? Oh well, just suggestions from a novice. After all, you are the master.

You are extremely thorough and talented, and I´m positive your submission will look wonderful.

Keep it up!

Old 05 May 2005   #65
Thumbs up

Diego!!!

Great start in the lighting process. One little thing about the texture of wood in the floor, I think is too rustic or rough for a kid's bedroom, (but this kid is not a regular kid).

Go and finish this. Will be a great piece of 3d art.

Old 05 May 2005   #66
this is coming out really cool ... just found this .. great concept and the image is working well

good luck on getting this thing done

Old 05 May 2005   #67
veleu, Cintia!!

Hi Cintia! Man, I didn't expect such comments.. thanks, really! Got me inspired to work still a couple of hours more tonight . The only thing is, now I feel like I have even more pressure to make the image look good! hehe Well, tomorrow we'll see how it went. At least on the 18th I'll sleep well. But sincerely, thanks. Your commments on the kid's posture were good, though I am going for something slightly different. If he were to stand erect, and command the demon with assertion, I think that the ambiguity that I am going for would be somewhat lost. My ideas is to show that there is a conflict with your inner demons, and that though you would like to command them, that isn't always the case. I still need to change two things to emphasize this concept- the kid should have a more intent expression (though this posture says that he isn't very sure of his command), and the creature needs to articulate his hands. The hands will somewhat encircle the boy, in a fashion that is either about to crush him or protect him. Hmm. I might be trippin'. hehe Anyway, that's the concept, at least. I didn't change the lighting much on this pass, my computer is acting up and overheating and complaining with annoying beeps. So I'll work on that tomorrow, at work. Which is a good thing, too, because this monitor is shot, as well.. sucks for color work. Well, enough complaining. Off to bed. Um beijo!
--Diego

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

Old 05 May 2005   #68
Modeling: cleaning the room

In this update I was aiming to fill up the room with things that are both characteristic of a kid about that age, as well as things that somewhat remind me of my own past. The art table, for example, has a texture on it that was a photo from my own table at RISD. The little table next to the bed is one that I had in my room for about 20 years. The art on the wall is mine, one a movie poster, the other a copy in oil of a Frank Benson painting. That one turned out well, but you can't really see it, since it's in the shadow. Schaal, I atenuated the flooring (and gave it a blurry reflection); I think that it won't be a problem once the lighting is finished. Next step is.. finishing! 1 more day to model, render, composite, AND UPLOAD! Oh man. Hey Pigwater, thanks for the comments, man.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

Old 05 May 2005   #69
I love your design, good luck mate

Old 05 May 2005   #70
Texturing: cave

Ok, things are pretty ugly right now because the elements are all competing- too much light, bump, colors, etc. Need to make it more harmonious. I had to redo the cave for resolution and UV reasons. The upshot is that I deleted all of the occluded polygons before even painting in Zbrush, so it´s lighter to render now.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

Old 05 May 2005   #71
Lighting: fixing lighting

Getting closer. Not happy with the coloring on the right. The mood in the room is getting better. Need a better drawing, as well. Monster needs shader, I´ll probably render a large image in layers now and start tweaking by layer, in a photoshop comp. Need to start to understand how the smoke effect is going to look.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

Old 05 May 2005   #72
Hi Diego. Is getting better and better!!!

Run, the time is almost over...

To gostando bastante, só um detalhe que acho que vc poderia mudar, é a cor do final do túnel do demonio .. acho que uma cor mais escura, como preto ou vermelho ficaria melhor ... e como vc disse que testar, e eu tb acho que ficaria bom, são uma fumaças espalhadas pela cena, saindo do tunel, etc ...
E na rocha, acho que vc poderia testar um displace .. pois acho que ela está muito plana na parte no chão do quarto

E um outro detalhe, mas esse é bem pessoal, seria vc colocar um fio na luminaria do lado da cama, e deixar ela caída no chão, para iluminar os personagens de baixo para cima .. é só lembrar de filmes de terror .. hehhe ... sempre fica dramática esse tipo de iluminação ...

Old 05 May 2005   #73
Great work, lovely models. If you want to finish off the monsters skin quickly, just go with procedural textures, & use the same cellular pattern maybe to add some bump & diffuse variation (with the recessed areas darker), & a bit of specular too. Vertex colours I find are quicker than painting custom blend maps if you want to blend between different procedural textures/shaders. You could also try some simple vignetting in photoshop too to give the scene lighting a focussed, enclosed feeling (I usually multipy/hard light some black around the edges).

edit: what about doing a global dirtmap/occlusion pass too & multiplying that on top by 30% or so to give finer contact shadows?

Old 05 May 2005   #74
Thanks for the comments, guys. About the bump map on the sking of the character- I´ll probably try to do something quickly in Zbrush. Procedurals are good for the very tiniest bumps, in my opinion. Otherwise you get the "orange effect". I didn´t understand your workflow with the vertex colors. What´s the process? I´ll definitely do a lot of post work on this in photoshp. The floor under him is part of this idea. In fact, the floor of the cave will probably be mostly covered in fog or invisible, as there should be a whimsical/ethereal quality to the transition between the room and the cave (which is a figment of his imagination, after all). I tried the darker color at the end of the tunnel, it gave it a rather muddy feel to the whole right side of the frame. The tunnel starts to look like the creature. About the light on the floor, interesting idea. I might try that after I´m done with this first lighting concept. I´ll definitely make an occlusion pass when I´m done, though actually I think that I might just paint the shadow details in photoshop, since I´m rendering in so many layers.

--Diego

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

Last edited by velascodearmas : 05 May 2005 at 12:09 AM.

Old 05 May 2005   #75
Hey Diego, You got a great result man... em tão pouco tempo vc conseguiu desenvolver um belo trabalho... Parabéns e boa sorte

gde abraço

Master and Servant 3D Entry

Portfolio

Thread Closed share thread