Master and Servant 3D Entry: Diego Velasco-De Armas

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2005
Texturing: Zbrush coloring OK

This is what the color map will look like for now. Now I'm going model the room, and start posing him and doing some preliminary lighting in the scene, to get a feeling for how the texture is working with the composition.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S
/ Spectacular + WIP / Steampunk

05 May 2005

I feel that he is still a bit monochromatic. Maybe after I start lighting with the colored lights that won't be a problem anymore.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

05 May 2005

Yet another pose to show the texturing. Even though I think that he is only going to be seen from the left, I worked both sides of the texture. Too bad Zbrush doesn't have a mirror function (at least I don't know where it is, if it does) where you only paint one side and then flip it to create the full texture. The mirror brush doesn't cut it. For this texture I used mostly the spatter brush (the one with many dots), to give it an organic feeling. The airbrush makes it too soft, so I used it sparsely. I'm going to render some stills before I start working on a bump map, might be a waste of time.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

Last edited by velascodearmas : 05 May 2005 at 04:53 AM.

05 May 2005

Ok, last one ;). Now onto something else, for now. Need to start testing the displacement in Maya with Mental Ray, and make sure that the rigging works well with it.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

Last edited by velascodearmas : 05 May 2005 at 04:55 AM.

05 May 2005
Hey diego,

Your demon/monster is looking really cool, man! I can't wait to see how the rest of the scene will come up.

Cheers,

Biriba

Ps:I gotta learn ZBrush NOW!!! :O)

05 May 2005
Modeling: kid

I found a very old (circa 1997) model that I did of myself, that I used as reference for my boy model.I had modeled myself at the time, so it still looks more mature than it should, but its still a good reference for the general feel of the structure. Also, it was all done in NURBS (!!), in the old "sock puppet" style with trimmed eyes and ears. I ended up modeling from scratch anyway, but it was interesting to take a look.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

Last edited by velascodearmas : 05 May 2005 at 02:21 PM.

05 May 2005
Texturing: damn

Damn. One polygon is messed up, should set me back a few hours in the process.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

05 May 2005
speed racer

Go Diego, Go!

Very nice work, and this is really a challenge for you!
I know how much work you have to do at Trattoria and how short is your spare time to dedicate to this competition.

Z-brush, nurbs, polys, use everything! I wanna see this creature in full render!

05 May 2005
Modeling: head progress

Hey Schaal, thanks for the incentive! After all, you were the one who inspired me to get into the competition. Que roubada, hem? For those who haven't seen Schaal's entry into the 2D contest, take a look, it's worth the visit .

Well, this is what the kid looks like so far. The hair is going to be texture mapped transparency. The color I'll have to paint in Zbrush or BodyPaint, probably based on a photo. Not quite done yet... Probably will texture some, then go back into the model. The final expression will be a blendshape. I'd rather use a BS than model him already in the pose because this way I have more flexibility, and it will probably look better.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

Last edited by velascodearmas : 05 May 2005 at 01:09 AM.

05 May 2005
Texturing: Kid texture OK

This is the final texture for the kid. I could still make some minor adjustments (the hair from this angle looks bad), but all in all I'm happy with it. Might still make the eyes a bit darker, less saturated.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

05 May 2005
Texturing: Kid face Texture OK

The hair turned out better than I expected it to. The trick here was to make it in layers: one layer of base hair (which is a darker color and less specular), and a copy of it, which is offset has a second, more specular (anisotropic) shader is applied to it. The head is also painted with a hair texture under the hair geometry. Separate bump, color, and transparency maps for the hairs.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

05 May 2005
Texturing: Kid face Texture OK

Now it's onto the body for the kid. I'm going to pose him, and detail the posed version in Zbrush. The displacement did not work well enough, from now on I'm going to import the subdivided meshes into Maya and render that.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

05 May 2005
Diego, you do amazing texturing, good luck.

Master & Servant

my site

05 May 2005
Modeling: feet

The kid's in his room, so he is barefoot. Actually, he's got his sleeping clothes on. The bed should be undone, etc. This is to imply a dreamlike/alpha state, right at the time when you think about all the crap that has happened during the day... And then can't sleep for a long time...

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

05 May 2005
Modeling: pants & proportions

New pants. I actually modeled the detail in the clothes, didn't think that there was a need to Zbrush it. Maybe I'll add some more details later on. The shirt is going to be the major Zbrush item on the boy.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

Thread Closed share thread