Master and Servant 3D Entry: Diego Velasco-De Armas

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2005   #1
Master and Servant 3D Entry: Diego Velasco-De Armas

Diego Velasco-De Armas has entered the Master and Servant 3D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Final image submission

I´ll upload the TIF, then I´ll post some comments.

Last edited by velascodearmas : 05 May 2005 at 01:48 PM. Reason: double post

Old 05 May 2005   #2
Concept Sketch: general idea

This came out of a quick sketch that I did the other day at work. The more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea.. so I decided to develop it here. The master/servant relationship in this illustration is more of a psychological nature, one of reflecting with one's internal demons. In this case, literally... The child is showing a picture of someone who he would like devoured, quartered, or otherwise taken care of. The demon is the servant, though he is portrayed in a way that he could easily be the master, being sizeably larger than the boy. The composition needs more development (thought I'll probably do that in 3D), and should emphasize the power of the demon, though it is subdued and controlled. The left half should be orderly, full of straight lines and hard edges, logical and concrete: the actual room where the kid is. The right side should be chaotic and dishevelled, a cave reminescent of the subconsious, the dark side of the psyche. The left side is colourful and simplistic, mostly primary colors with accents of gray. The right side somber and black, with hard lighting, and colors ranging from deep reds to purple to bluish tints and gray as well. The transition between one side and the other is nebulous, a smoky haze.The boy will be very cartoony, a caricature. The beast will be as realistic as I can get it. Hopefully I'll have enough time to develop this into as interesting image. I'll be using Maya, Zbrush, and photoshop. Sticking to the basics, not much time left.

Last edited by velascodearmas : 05 May 2005 at 05:05 AM.

Old 05 May 2005   #3
Concept Sketch: demon sketch

This is a more refined sketch of the demon/rage character. His skin should have the appearance of beaten flesh- not beaten to the point of piercing or flaying the skin, but rather the black and blue effect of a bruise. Since time is of the essence, I decided to make him symmetrical, very simple, and paint the displament in Z-Brush.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S
/ Spectacular + WIP / Steampunk

Old 05 May 2005   #4
Nice, what can I say, good sketch. Maybe it needs some more clues about whos commanding who, perhaps kid pointing his finger: "go get him, boy!", something like dat...

Good luck!

Old 05 May 2005   #5
Thumbs up

The monster is looking really cool

What´s interesting about this concept is this duality : who is the master , who is the servant ? A way to emphasize this, i think, is not to let this relationship explicit by going into visual clichés of suggesting goodness or evilness - instead, just leave it open to the viewers interpretation, by suggesting that the boy, although much smaller than the monster, could be easily the master of the situation - or being ruled by it.

I like that idea a lot - after all, are we slave of our inner demons or should we use them to our advantage?

It´s gonna look awesome in 3D! Hope you´re able to finish it on time

good luck my friend !

metello
andre_metello@hotmail.com

Old 05 May 2005   #6
Modeling: initial modeling - before lunch

Thanks Metello! :) We´ll see how it develops. This is the beginning of the modeling. The idea is to lean heavily on the time-tested, age-old brazillian concept of "cara de pau". Simple modeling, then Zbrush all the way.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

Old 05 May 2005   #7
Hey Diego good luck, i think is a interesting concept, take an outlook to this image (the monster).

http://highlightzone.info/comic/comic_bilder/bone.jpg

Greetings

Old 05 May 2005   #8
Modeling: modeling step 2

Progress image. Need to do the hands, then I´ll be set to start painting in Zbrush. Couldn´t resist modeling in square polygons, edge loops, etc. I was hoping to model something really dirty, full of n-gons and triangles, but couldn´t do it- kept thinking that it would be good for Zbrush to have a nice, clean topology to work with.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

Old 05 May 2005   #9
Modeling: finished demon lores model

This is the final demon. For now... Tonight I´ll import it into Zbrush, and hopefully tomorrow I´ll be posting something closer to the final character.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

Old 05 May 2005   #10
hmm modeling not quite finished

I´ll be posting yet another model tonight before the Zbrush step.. I think he needs hands, not paws in front. Looks too much like a rabbit.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

Old 05 May 2005   #11
Modeling: modeling hands

I decided the demon should have real hands (well, 3 fingers- close enough), as it would probably look more aggressive and have more personality. I'll pose them after I texture them, as they have to be symmetrical for Zbrush to work correctly. So, unfortunately, looks like I'm going to have to rig this creature, after all.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

Old 05 May 2005   #12
Modeling: with hands

Hands attached. Default pose, needs a rig to pose him after Zbrushing.

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

Old 05 May 2005   #13
very nice concept and the modeling. keep going!

Old 05 May 2005   #14
Modeling: skeleton

simple skeleton for posing

DREAMSCAPE
/ TJB! / M&S

Old 05 May 2005   #15
Thumbs up

HI dvelasco

Good idea, I like much, I hope that you have time to finish it.
Luck.

Thread Closed share thread