CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CG Challenge XVII - Master and Servant - 3D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-26-2005, 12:31 PM   #16
Dutchman
the Flying one

portfolio
Gijs Leijdekkers
creator of
films & spaces
Netherlands

Concept Sketch: Andres Serrano piss-style rendertest

Some posts back, I posted some inspirational images, made by Andres Serrano.

Two days ago I did some simple render tests, and touched it up al little in Photoshop, to test if it was possible to simulate that effect. Also after allot of studiing the images, I concluded that it would be quite easy if you just render out a ZDept render!

Be sure the model I used here is far from 'the final one'! (in fact it's the same model as in the modelling WIP cell, model 3) Making this test-image was just to do something different instead of all day long moving vertexes

Last edited by Dutchman : 04-26-2005 at 12:58 PM.

Old 04-26-2005, 01:18 PM   #17
Dutchman
the Flying one

portfolio
Gijs Leijdekkers
creator of
films & spaces
Netherlands

Modeling: the Ear

Here you can see the ear I modeled independly from the head.

The first upcoming that I'm gonna do, is welding the ear to the head. Then making the heart-shaped-hole into the forehead. Because then the 'rough' geometry is finished, I'm gonna take the 1-iterations-mesh into ZBrush(2) to move the polys and so, till I'm really satisfied.

Updates soon, I hope... I've got quite an amount of sparetime now, so I will try to work on it as hard as possible!

Last edited by Dutchman : 04-26-2005 at 01:20 PM.

Old 04-26-2005, 01:34 PM   #18
Dutchman
the Flying one

portfolio
Gijs Leijdekkers
creator of
films & spaces
Netherlands

@ xric7 : Thanks for the enthousiams!! It motivates me to make the best of it I can!

@ fer3D : Above all: thanks for making me sure I took the 'best' concept! And about that 'hole inside head': yeah, you're right that it could look a bit horrific (and that's exactly nσt what I want :shrug, but we'll see! I'll try to do best! And about the texturing: well, at this moment I'm thinking to make a simple unwrap of the head (only the visible parts!) and paint some 'overall' details on it: little bump and so on. Then render multiple renders, with different light setups and different shader settings, and combine (using 'overlay' and so) them all together using Photoshop. Then I can still 'overlay' some painting layers that I paint after rendering.... In that way I can 'put the post to the limit' and make sure that it wνll be photoreal!

@ Virtuoso : Thank you again for motivating me to the limit! And I'm really trying to steal the show! Thank you again so much!

Everybody who checks this thread: thanks for the interests! And everybody who'd like to reply, even more thanks!

I'm going on with modeling,

See you later (= soon! ),
Gijs

Old 05-09-2005, 10:16 PM   #19
Dutchman
the Flying one

portfolio
Gijs Leijdekkers
creator of
films & spaces
Netherlands

Heeeey everybody,

First of all: I'd still like to have replies... It's not really vιry motivating to not have had any replies since the last 3D update, but I still am working on this!

Last (couple of) week(s) I've especially been doing 'research' and 'study' to realistic skin-shading, and Subsurface Scattering and Translucency, to research how to manage a believable photoreal-skin.

Also I've been working on a 'small project' in ZBrush (was meant to be a 24-houres-project, but it ran out to be about a 1-week-project, and still it's not completaly finished... :( > when it is you'll see it passing in the Completed-3D-art-galary!). Because of that, my ZBrush skills are now improved quite well... I'm now thinking of doing some more in ZB... Especially continuing modeling (in hi-poly) and rendering out displacement maps.

Updates soon! Please don't think I'm not continuing or not working on this... I αm working on it, although it are mainly render- and shadertests....

But right now (tomorrow ) I'm gonna model on, so that within this week the model should be completed... After that I can make a-ver-lot renders (> passes) that I can Photoshop together... I cαn't wait for that really-cool Photoshop-part!

Greetz & Please tell me what you think of it so far,
Gijs

Old 05-11-2005, 12:34 AM   #20
Virtuoso
Lord of the posts
take a quess
USA

Hi Gijs.......well done,you can give this some real nice touches,work hard and towards your goal here......The prmoise is real good with this.....Nice start,a interesting one too....Z-brush is a fine tool to add to our other apps......keep pushing yourself to new hieghts as you are......i'll be looking for more from you as you move on.....work hard and well.....And see you soon.....All the best to you......

Old 05-11-2005, 01:59 PM   #21
Tremoside
Seven

portfolio
Mark E. Seljan
Designer
Budapest, Hungary

Let me apologise about replies..Gijs sorry. You know this challenge is too short and busy days we have. So about your image: I like that serrano style render. New aspect and personally i think combining ideas from an other artform is always useful and interesting. Also fits with your idea...lovely warm colors and it's friendly overall! I miss some steps from you, but i hope you can work on this at these days. keep it up my friend and push it as hard as you can! Lotsa power to you!

Old 05-11-2005, 11:16 PM   #22
Dutchman
the Flying one

portfolio
Gijs Leijdekkers
creator of
films & spaces
Netherlands

Modeling: head modeling in 3Ds Max

And here's the proof I'm still on the run! Here you can see some screenshots outof 3Ds Max (5.0) to see the geometry/topology and so... I have not very often before modeled a head, so I myself think that the geometry isn't thαt bad... I'm going to tweak it and model it on in ZBrush, to later get back some displacement maps.

[by the way: right now the counter is on 7 days & 40 minutes... -omg- ... but I'm gonna get the deadline! whatever it costs! ]

Last edited by Dutchman : 05-11-2005 at 11:47 PM.

Old 05-11-2005, 11:20 PM   #23
Dutchman
the Flying one

portfolio
Gijs Leijdekkers
creator of
films & spaces
Netherlands

Modeling: head modeling/tweaking in ZBrush

Here I showoff some tweaking I've been doing on the low-res version of the model (out of Max). I'm first triing to tweak it as good as possible on low-level, so that most of the apperance will be in the actual geometry, instead of 'just in the displacement map'.

Old 05-11-2005, 11:26 PM   #24
Dutchman
the Flying one

portfolio
Gijs Leijdekkers
creator of
films & spaces
Netherlands

Modeling: showof: the head - rendered in ZBrush

Just for fun: to have a quick nice render, I putted the AWESOME Antropus (Piccasso project?!) skinshader & lighting (which is based on the Sokar-skin-shader) on the model so far. In this way I can check out really tight what I'd have to tweak, or what is allright...

Soon I'll start detailing this man/boy-model and generate a displacement map (after some sleep, first ). Due to timestress I'm not gonna make a complete new low-poly base for the girl, but I'll just be using the man-without-heart-in-his-forehead low-poly model.

Last edited by Dutchman : 05-11-2005 at 11:48 PM.

Old 05-11-2005, 11:47 PM   #25
Dutchman
the Flying one

portfolio
Gijs Leijdekkers
creator of
films & spaces
Netherlands

@ Virtuoso : Thanks Michael, for checking out my thread (again )! Thank you again for the compliments, those were, and still are, vιry motivating! Within a week I'll just hαve to have the final piece, whatever happends...! I'm so exited myself...! ('I can't wait to see my own final'... hmm... sounds weird, but cool ) About your work Micheal: it's really becoming such an awesome piece of art... And especially that 'fluffy things' are really great!

@ Tremoside : First of all: the fact I was a bit 'down' because of no replies was not meant 'to some individual' or so.. but just to have it said... And especially yσu don't have to appologise for it!
About Serrano: have you had heard about Serrano before...? ('cause I didn't till I saw that book) In every case: I have planned to make serveral versions (with only differences in colorscheme and some small geomatrical differences), each acting for one 'thing' in love ('painfull love', 'endless love' were two of the themes I have been thinking of), but due to the small time left, I'm not gonna make it to make serveral stuff of which I choose the best one.
Sσ, for this challenge I think I'm only making the 'photoreal' 'normal' one, and maybe later I can make those different ones (the cool thing is: 'making the different ones' is mainly 'playing with mood' in Photoshop: something I often like the best of the whole process!), and maybe even make a 'print series' of it!
Thank you for the nice comments, my friend & also allot power to you!

More stuff 'later today' (cause its thursday here yet ), but first I'm going to have some sleep... I hope to maybe have some replies about this updates...

Greetz & Everybody have a nice day/night,
Gijs

Old 05-12-2005, 11:33 PM   #26
Dutchman
the Flying one

portfolio
Gijs Leijdekkers
creator of
films & spaces
Netherlands

Modeling: update on head modeling!

As you can see I've been modeling along...! :) Maybe to you the diffences don't look to big, there are quite some details I made better today on an higher poly-resolution. I think the face has got the right shape now (I think I'll tweak some tiny things on it tomorrow), and I hope he doesn't look to old to you (he's meant to be about 16/17 years old ;) ). After some tweaking the displacement map wil be generated, and that will be soon! :)

Old 05-12-2005, 11:45 PM   #27
Dutchman
the Flying one

portfolio
Gijs Leijdekkers
creator of
films & spaces
Netherlands

Concept Sketch: girl inspiration....!

Because I hope to finish the boy modeling tomorrow (with the displacements map generated), I've been thinking some while about the girl, and I've found two interesting references...!

Emily Browning (who played Violet in 'Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events') and Emma Watson (who plays Hermione in the 'Harry Potter'-movies). To me those both look really nice and kind, so I'll be basing the girls head on these two girls! I'll try to mix up there look to come to a nice compromis!

I hope to be able to show you actual self-made stuff of this girl! Please leave a message & See you later [*getting some sleep *],
Gijs

Last edited by Dutchman : 06-06-2005 at 09:57 PM.

Old 05-13-2005, 01:35 PM   #28
mmoir
ya win some ya lose some
portfolio
Mike Moir
Ontario, Canada

Hey Gijs,
It is a nice idea, and your head model so far looks great. One small thing, the lips look a little odd, maybe it is they don't have a texture yet. Anyways , looking good.

Old 05-14-2005, 12:38 PM   #29
Dutchman
the Flying one

portfolio
Gijs Leijdekkers
creator of
films & spaces
Netherlands

Modeling: update on head modeling (model finished?!)

And again an update! As you can see I've done some small improvements and tweaks... I try to make this model as perfect as possible, so the last 2 evenings I've especially been tweaking... (I think the model I show of here is quite near 'good enough', but I'll use XRef to still be able to update the mesh, if thats needed. )

I also did a test with generating a displacement-map for it in ZBrush, but that went out quite bad back in Max... Buuut: I've tried to import the 'detailed model' in Max, and unless I expected Max to crash, he survived it, and I now can still move around it in really realtime... I never knew my graphic card could work so good

As soon as possible I'll start modeling the girl... I've been doing some research for good pics of that 2-before-mentioned girls, and I've studied their main-lines in the faces very good, so I think I'm ready for that real stuff. I also have been studiing good SSS examples the past some weeks, so I think I can built/render a nice skinshader soon...

I hope I'll get some replies about the improvements and so & New updates soon!,
Gijs

Old 05-14-2005, 12:43 PM   #30
Dutchman
the Flying one

portfolio
Gijs Leijdekkers
creator of
films & spaces
Netherlands

@ mmoire : Thanks for the motivating comments! I like your GSO-stuff really very much (as you've read before )! And about the lips: yeah, I agree they are one of the biggest tweak-issues all the time, but I think in this last update they look a bit better... And as you said yourself: I think they will anyway look better when it's textured. (I can't wait for the texturing part by the way... )

Thanks for all past comments, and I hope to receive some more ,
Gijs

Thread Closed share thread