Master and Servant 3D Entry: Matt Bortolino

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2005
Master and Servant 3D Entry: Matt Bortolino

Matt Bortolino has entered the Master and Servant 3D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: final

I'm sick to death of looking at this pic, so here's the final :) (btw, that inkline render was just an experiment, never meant for submission). If I had more time I'd redesign the golem since I'm not happy with it, or maybe just move it back a bit so you can see more of him (as jarvetu suggested). Thanks again to everyone who's posted comments, they've been a great help & really made a positive difference to the outcome, & thanks for all the kind words of encouragement.

Earth Golem:

The Golem had its origins in Judaic myth, & was a type of ancient prototypical robot or automaton crafted from inanimate material (usually clay or rock) by a holy person who strove to approach God's own acts of creation. A Golem servant was regarded as the ultimate symbol of wisdom & holiness, however it was inferior to God's creations & functionally limited to performing laborious, repetitive tasks. Despite its utility, the lumbering Golem was clumsy & dangerous, & without proper control it could destroy the master with its flailing vigour.

I've decided to use this Golem-making as a metaphor for Humankind's efforts to utilize, harness & tame the chaotic forces of the natural world, from the microscopic scale of nuclear fission, genetic modification & chemical engineering to the macroscopic scale of cartographically charted continents & environmental systems.

The Golem-servant birth is shown as a dangerous helical vortex of flying molten rock around its master, who has the tools of creation at each hand: arcane knowledge (represented by the glowing symbols) & the catalytical power of militarism (signified by the sword), the paradoxically destructive aspect of Mankind which propels forth technological advancement.

Other symbols in the image are a sickle (the harnessing of natural cycles through agriculture), the circle markings are a stylized hydrocarbon molecule (taken from the symbol for benzene, which is a precursor to the production of plastics, gasoline, pharmaceuticals...), the pendant has an iconic atom form, & the sword's grip has a double-helical coil dangling from it. There's also a sextant, map & documents- symbols for measurement, navigation & the concept of property/ownership of land.

04 April 2005
Concept Sketch: Golem

The Golem had its origins in Judaic myth, & was a sort of ancient prototypical robot or automaton crafted from inanimate material (usually clay or rock) by a holy person who strove to approach God's own acts of creation. A Golem servant was regarded as the ultimate symbol of wisdom & holiness, however it was inferior to God's creations & functionally limited to performing laborious, repetitive tasks. Despite its utility, the lumbering Golem was clumsy & dangerous, & without proper control it could destroy the master with its flailing vigour.

I've decided to use this Golem-making as a metaphor for Humankind's efforts to tame & harness the chaotic forces of the natural world, from the macroscopic scale of environmental & weather systems to the microscopic scale of nuclear fission & genetic modification. The Golem-servant birth is shown as a dangerous helical vortex of flying molten rock around its master, who has the tools of creation at each hand: arcane knowledge (represented by the glowing symbols) & the catalytical power of militarism (signified by the sword), the paradoxically destructive aspect of Mankind which propels forth technological advancement.

04 April 2005
Looks good, i like the concept sketch
Good luck

04 April 2005
hehe I love the idea, the little explanation was very interesting and u have a very nicely drawn concept that goes with it, i see u have the ingredients for a great piece. Best of luck and above all, don't forget to have fun!

www.pierrebourgeot.com

Follow the null and you will find the answer...

04 April 2005
ok if u do that in 3d ill eat my graphic card, awesome concept man!!!

04 April 2005
Great concept, very nice style of sketch you have there. Looks like a tall order for a 3D scene Look forward to seeing it develop.

04 April 2005
Modeling: Golem modelling

Quick & dirty polygon pushing with a final tessellation function instead of typical mesh subdivision, which results in a blocker, sharper model. Bump mapping is from 2 simple procedurals.

& thanks to everyone who's commented so far :)

04 April 2005
interesting model

04 April 2005
Hey Matt, saw your sketch and dig its potential.. But I gotta say that elemental kicks ass man..Awesome start.. Keep it coming

toe2toe

my 3d prints

04 April 2005
fast starting! nice sketch!
good luck `mb

04 April 2005
great update, interesting style, me like it

www.pierrebourgeot.com

Follow the null and you will find the answer...

04 April 2005
Modeling: golem posed

thx for the replies, & i'll check out your entries too...

04 April 2005
Originally Posted by nebezial: ok if u do that in 3d ill eat my graphic card, awesome concept man!!!

would you like sauce with that?

Matt, I'm speechless...This is absolutely stunning...Don't forget 'emotion', I think you got a real shot!

toe2toe

my 3d prints

04 April 2005
Thumbs up

Interesting, interesting I like it very much . Great modeling, really great.

Keep up good work

Last edited by rastko : 04 April 2005 at 11:55 PM.

04 April 2005
wow!looks like a clay model!really...going nice

Thread Closed share thread