CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CG Challenge XVII - Master and Servant - 3D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-24-2005, 08:14 PM   #1
6foot5
Lord of the posts

Amin Khan
United Kingdom

Master and Servant 3D Entry: Amin Khan

Amin Khan has entered the Master and Servant 3D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Indian Kitten

final image, not happy but what can you do??

Last edited by 6foot5 : 04-06-2005 at 04:43 AM. Reason: explain concept

Old 04-06-2005, 04:27 AM   #2
6foot5
Lord of the posts

Amin Khan
United Kingdom

Concept Sketch: Asking for it

Sorry for taking so long to submit something but I felt I should spend as much time as possible thinking of an idea. For me that is the most important stage of all.

Concept

The master/servant relationship is essentially a degrading one for the subservient party. It is, by its very nature, counter to the values of equality that have prevailed in modern times. Slavery has been abolished for a long time in most of the world and even having servants isn’t common practise.

However we still treat animals as subservient, and force many of them to serve us. Now I don’t claim this is wrong or right, I eat meat, wear leather and have ridden a horse. The observation I would like to make is one where we subjugate mighty beasts that could crush us so as it would seem that we are the stronger. Chimpanzees are forced to wear clothes and mimic humans though an adult male chimp could rip a man to pieces. There is the irony of the man who forces an enormous elephant to rip trees from the ground simply by wielding a stick. I feel bad when I see majestic and beautiful animals not given the respect that their size or stature should afford them. But that is the odd thing about animals and humans. It seems animals are too willing to submit to the will of what they apparently see as a strange and superior being.

But what if one day they realise there own power and our apparent weakness. What if there is a momentary realisation , and a brief pang of pride and understanding of their humiliation at the hands of this arrogant creature. It is this question that I ask with my concept and this relationship I explore. I cannot think of a more majestic animal than a tiger and sought to use this mighty animal in a scene which would exemplify the point.

My scene shows a girl in Victorian times abusing her rather exotic pet that her father brought back from India. The girl treats the mighty tiger like a toy, so resolute is she in her opinion of who is master and who is servant in this relationship. The tiger, once king of all he surveyed is now reduced to following the orders of a spoilt little child. One day he mauls the little girls doll, it hangs limply from his powerful jaws just as the little girl would if he were to feel so inclined, and the little girl admonishes him, she tugs on his flimsy little lead, the slim piece of rope could be broken in an instant yet it seems to confine him like a ball and chain. Normally the tiger would cower and accept the little girls rebuke, but there is a glint in his eye today, ……………

first concept sketch, trying to find a striking image/pose/composition

Last edited by 6foot5 : 04-07-2005 at 01:27 AM. Reason: give concept

Old 04-06-2005, 04:30 AM   #3
6foot5
Lord of the posts

Amin Khan
United Kingdom

second concept sketch, trying to find a striking image/pose/composition

Old 04-06-2005, 04:40 AM   #4
6foot5
Lord of the posts

Amin Khan
United Kingdom

Concept Sketch: Asking for it..

pls ignore this on the 2d challenge, posted in wrong forum, whops! anyway this is my third idea for composition/pose

Old 04-07-2005, 12:56 AM   #5
6foot5
Lord of the posts

Amin Khan
United Kingdom

a slighty more detailed concept

Old 04-07-2005, 01:16 AM   #6
6foot5
Lord of the posts

Amin Khan
United Kingdom

Concept Sketch: Asking For it

ok, here is the treatment to the image to make it more like a victorian photograph, this is ultimately the look i want to achieve...but obviously done better. this particular treatment was done quickly so u could just get an idea
ps. sorry for the same entries in the 2d section..im getting very confused, and submitted there by accident...again!

Old 04-07-2005, 04:15 PM   #7
mercy, severity
Veteran

Amanda
Vancouver, BC, Canada

thats a great concept, quite a different approach to the challenge but I think its the best so far. Keep it up and good luck to you.

Old 04-07-2005, 05:28 PM   #8
6foot5
Lord of the posts

Amin Khan
United Kingdom

Concept Sketch: asking for it

another idea for composition, to be honest i ike this one but would much appreciate some feedback, thanks.

Old 04-07-2005, 05:40 PM   #9
6foot5
Lord of the posts

Amin Khan
United Kingdom

hey mercy, serverity thanks for the comments, much appreciated. its so important to know if you are on the right track or not , if people dont mind id like some views on which composition they prefer , thanks!

Old 04-07-2005, 05:51 PM   #10
AIR
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Damir G. Martin
Computer generated imagery
Rijeka, Croatia

Send a message via MSN to AIR
Hi

I like tigers,i though of conpeeting in 2d with something involving tiger.I like the last one U posted much.Think U shouldn't bother your self too musch with the pose or how to put the characters inside the scene.You will figure it out when you start working in 3d.
Good luck with the fur,cos if you dont create belivable tiger,the whole thing is rulend.

Old 04-07-2005, 08:08 PM   #11
6foot5
Lord of the posts

Amin Khan
United Kingdom

thanks AIR, i love big cats also, i think they're magnificent and the tiger is biggest so i chose it to juxtopose with the tiny little girl. I have to say that i strongly disagree with your suggestion that i should start modelling without being sure of the final composition. try ing to correct mistakes at the modelling stage is more frustrating. though i accept some issues only become apparent one you start modelling and i need to get a move on! i think i will start modelling the elements which aren't dependent on composition, like the rocking horse and doll house etc.

the fur may prove to be problem, im not sure how well i can recreate a tigers coat with shag fur, i could cheat for the most part by making the coat a texture as it lies very flat and smmoth on the tigers body. the downy soft fur on the underbelly and the mane blending with the groomed fur of the body may prove to be quite a challenge.

Old 04-08-2005, 06:01 AM   #12
Maxter
Work-In-Progress

portfolio
Fabio Bautista
Character Modeler/Texture Artist
Bogota, Colombia

good concept

I like all the concept sketches, but i think that the second and last sketches are the best, it can make a mixture of both, the tiger static in rest, indifferent to the action of the girl.
Good luck!!

Old 04-09-2005, 05:07 PM   #13
6foot5
Lord of the posts

Amin Khan
United Kingdom

Concept Sketch: My Pet

I've changed the concept once again, going for a completely different composition. I wanted an image with more power, and nothing conveys emotion with more power than facial expressions. so i found a pose which i think is compelling and revealing yet leaves some ambiguity as well. the subject matter remains the same.
pls let me know what u think.

Old 04-09-2005, 05:23 PM   #14
stoat
Frequenter
portfolio
Robert Turner
United Kingdom

I think the one with the toys is the best. If you lie the tiger down and have the girl pulling the doll directly, that will give you the close up shot. The victorian toys, I feel, add a lot to the concept and should be in shot behind the tiger's head. maybe the dolls' house and the ball at least. It would look good done in sepia with all the scratches and marks of an early photo. Maybe even hand colour tinted as a lot of those things were.

Old 04-09-2005, 06:39 PM   #15
6foot5
Lord of the posts

Amin Khan
United Kingdom

thanks for the comment stoat, i take onboard what you're saying and im torn between the last sketch and perhaps a scene with more elements in it, victorian photographs seem to be posed quite formally which again would suggest the last sketch to be the most suitable. i like the expressions and pose but cant help thinking there could be a more striking one. im gonna stew on it a couple more days. in the meantime any futher suggestions would be most welcome. thanks.

Thread Closed share thread