2 MINUTE FILMMAKING CHALLENGE TOPICS

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 04 April 2005   #31
Give me some time, I wanted to first test the waters.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 04 April 2005   #32
Originally Posted by Igor Sandman: I don't know much about how the project greenlight goes, but how could they start with the same script and end up with such different shorts?
If the script is written a certain way to allow creativity, we would need a good writer who could write that for us.

It's not that hard. Like I said, the script looked like this:
CHARACTER ONE indicates something.
CHARACTER ONE
Tell me what you think of that.

CHARACTER TWO
What am I supposed to say?

CHARACTER ONE
It's just an opinion.

CHARACTER TWO
I think [insert appropriate opinion].

CHARACTER ONE reacts.
That's not verbatim but it's basically it.

M. Scott

Old 04 April 2005   #33
well this is just my opinion:

I think that this idea is really good. For the script i think that there is a "middle-point" between a script and a theme.
I don't like both. Script: too tight; Theme: too loose.
I mean: with a script you can do little on the creative part (only select the cinematography and the point of view but not always) and with a theme you can do everything and then say that the short is concerning the theme but it's "conceptual" (i saw a lot of this type of short: nothing to say about them except that most of them are rubbish).

This point between a script and a theme in Italy is called "subject" (i don't know if you call it the same). As I'm not able to write in good plain english I make some examples, please be patient with me!

- A boy and a girl are in love, but they must keep their relation secret.

Already heard? well it's "Romeo and Juliet" but it can be a lot of other stories
- A criminal, behind the promise of the freedom, is instructed to recover a man who can save the world from the destruction.

It's "Escape from New York" but if you say that the criminal must travel through time voilā you have "
Twelve Monkeys"

- During a scientific mission a group of scientist enters in contact with an unknown alien race.

John Carpenter's "the thing" but if you decide to place it in space you have "Alien"

With a "subject" you have the general idea but you are still free to manipulate it (place, time, STYLE, dialogues, etc). More than a theme, less than a script.
With this solution Roberto (or who will do it) can still add to the given subject particulars like a specific line to say or a scenographic element (or nothing). Ppl can decide accordingly to make different styles ("I make it sci-fi" - "then i will make it spaghetti western style") like Raymond Queneau's Exercises in Style (well I love exercises in style but they have a more strict "subject").

If I've made language mistakes please let me know it will help me.

Last edited by ZaKKoS : 04 April 2005 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Punctuation

Old 04 April 2005   #34
I think that this is a fantastic idea Roberto, and I would be into doing it from time to time. I have to agree with bbKixx though stick with a concept like the daily sketches but don't specify a script that must be followed by everyone.

Old 04 April 2005   #35
If it were me, I would just have a theme.

EX: This month will be EARTHQUAKE theme. Each contestant makes a short film with their own portrayal of an earthquake. The next month would be Magic Carpet Ride.

Just my $.02

SB

Old 04 April 2005   #36
I'm really liking the direction that you suggested ZaKKoS, I like the fact that there is no hard script which means similar timings and the exact same story I also like the slightly tighter concept of your subject than the looseness of something like "alien attack". The trick would be in keeping the subject loose enough to allow creativity though different tracks of thought and style.

Old 04 April 2005   #37
Guys I really like the ideas I am reading from this thread..

But I have one question, how do you feel about a one month timeframe?

-R

Old 04 April 2005   #38
I think that one month is a good place to start; if everyone seems to have trouble with the deadline than maybe 45-60 days would be a better timeframe. I do think that as the time frame gets longer the amount of deliverables should also increase.

For me I'm estimating that a 1-2 minute piece will require 20-40 minutes of footage which will take 1-4 days to shoot. Add to that 7 days of pre-pro and 10 days for post/scoring and I come up with around 21 days worth of stuff. I'm pretty busy so these are not full production days by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 04 April 2005   #39
Quote: I'm really liking the direction that you suggested ZaKKoS

Thanks Velk.

I agree that a month is enough as long as we accept compromises. I mean that we have to sacrifice certain aspect like, i don't know... music, perfect editing or color correction, acting skills, lights. Remember that is still a free time project (well not for everyone maybe), and that not everyone has the proper materials. But generally this is endemic in the spirit of a challenge, here in my town we have a "moviemaking race" you have to make a whole 5 minutes short in 50h. script, shoot, music and editing. obiouvsly the results are not "blockbuster movies" but who see and judge them knows the limits. In the end i say go for the one month deadline.
No one will put us in prison if we decide to lengthen the deadline right?

Old 04 April 2005   #40
One thing that I would love to see, are all kind of entries.

I dont want to see this become a boring affair.

I would love to see entries of all kinds.
From a micro dramas, to an action pieces and even a scifi pieces.

the question is, should I push particular genere for a given topic, or leave it open?

-R

PS And before people say that one month is too short to do an FX mini movie, check this short by masterZap done in TWO WEEKS.

QUICKTIME
DIVX

or this one done by L'explorateur :

Divx - 640*480 -
http://airfantasia.free.fr/cgtalk/explorateur.avi (25 Mo)

Quicktime - 640*480 -
http://airfantasia.free.fr/cgtalk/explorateur2.mov (123 Mo)

Old 04 April 2005   #41
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: Guys I really like the ideas I am reading from this thread..

But I have one question, how do you feel about a one month timeframe?

-R

Counter question: how long is the entry / deadline for an FX challenge? One of the 3D contest where a quicktime video is submitted?

Granted, you don't have to model everything in a film / video contest, but still, work needs to be done.

SB

Old 04 April 2005   #42
What about music? Could we at least "borrow" from an existing movie soundtrack?

Resources for sound FX?

SB

Old 04 April 2005   #43
Hey,
I think one month is perfect and the genre should be open IMO. The more you leave room to imagination, the more original the films will be.

Sillver Bullit, you can find a lot of royalty free music on the web. There plenty of net label under the creative common licence.

Bye.
-IS-

Old 04 April 2005   #44
Hey guys, El Mariachi was shot in a two weeks and itīs a 70 minutes long. In 30 days you can shoot a feature with ease and we are talking about short-movies. So where is the problem? I agree with Igor on the topic. Letīs do it! Maybe we get some professional filmmakers drop by if weīre creative enough...

peace, pete

Old 04 April 2005   #45
Some cathegories for awards that I had in mind are:

Best Overall Entry
Best Entry under 5 min
Best Entry over 5 min
Best Cinematography
Best Editing
Best Screenplay (if any, the stories might be silent)
Best VFX (if any))
-R

reply share thread