2 MINUTE FILMMAKING CHALLENGE TOPICS

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 04 April 2005   #16
Originally Posted by bbKixx: Hey madmax why are you being so pushy. PPl are just trying to brainstorm this idea and talk things over. Why are you so threatend by other peoples ideas on this matter? Would you be happier if we said "hey madmax tell us exactly what you want, so we dont have to worry about upsetting your baby ass with our suggestions."

So far I have seen people go "a month is too long", "keep it only two minutes", "give everyone the same script"

EVERYTHING I have said so far tends to lean towards being open about any competition and not put limitations on it that would stifle interest or creativity.

The art challenges here provide a theme, not the specific content. They don't tell you that everyone has to draw Spider-Man and we'll see who draws it best. I wonder why?

What gives you the right to make unprovoked personal attacks on someone for not agreeing with your ideas or making suggestions based on proven methods used by real film contests?

Sounds to me like you are the one who feels threatened. And judging from your childish replies and name calling, I doubt you have much to offer anyway.

Last edited by MadMax : 04 April 2005 at 06:40 PM.

Old 04 April 2005   #17
Originally Posted by Shadow_545: Ahh well I thought the point of the contest was to see who could make a better 1-2 minute scene (I guess I was wrong)

It would be the film equivalent of "Draw the pirate" from those old Art Instruction school ads.

Do you really want to see 2 dozen people making the exact same short, same script over and over? You'd be bored before you got through them all.

At least with a theme, you can see people doing whatever they want within that theme, not just rehash after rehash.

Old 04 April 2005   #18
Welcome to the real world

Hey guys,
I was glad to see that someone finally offered up a monthly short contest. Good idea! After reading the posts and responses I decided to put my two cents into the pile.
Putting a time limit on the short is a great idea. This creates time constraints for the shorts directors, and may cause them the grief of leaving descent shots on the floor of the editing room. The practice of balancing time and creativity is an art form that is overlooked by many of the newcomers. Also, adding a generic script is practice that will ultimately make perfect. In today's world, Hollywood is looking for outrageous directors that can conform to a general idea. This contest would simulate the feel of bidding for a film. Many directors are contacted to possibly work on today's films. The director with the most cunning of ideas, and artistic talent to complete a project is ultimately awarded the grand prize of work (remebering that some directors are not that artistically talented, i.e. Rob Riener) .
I feel that MadMax is wrong when he says that this contest would be boring if it were to be regulated to work on one script (atleast this is what I took from his responses). I feel that it would be exactly the opposite. I would very much be eager to see how so many diffrent minds interpet a single piece of work. The outcome would be many talented people, all diverse, with a general goal. Working to convey an idea. All of the entries would be unique, regardless of how repetitive.

Old 04 April 2005   #19
Hello, I'm a first timer. Infact this is my 1st post, very nice place you got here! I personally support this idea beyond imagination. My personal belief is that it would be a healthy and character building experience. Hold a challenge and they will come.

-Sagan, Carl.

Old 04 April 2005   #20
I'd suggest looking at what real short film festivals are doing for an idea of general structure.

Or submission guidlines for iFilm, or Atomfilms and other online short film sources.

Also you might want to check out the 48 hour film challenge and LA101 to see what their criteria is for short film entries is before saying someone is wrong or resorting to personal attacks and name calling.

The suggestions being made so far sound more like film school assignments, not a short film competition. And just curious, since it was said here, of what positive benefit is this at all???

Quote: Putting a time limit on the short is a great idea. This creates time constraints for the shorts directors, and may cause them the grief of leaving descent shots on the floor of the editing room. The practice of balancing time and creativity is an art form that is overlooked by many of the newcomers.

Causing someone to have to leave out good material to fit a time restriction. Causing them grief you said. There is absolutely nothing productive in that at all. Again, I can see it if this were a film class assignment. If it were, then I would be in agreement that this teaches something of use. However the premise was a short film competition.

Quote: This contest would simulate the feel of bidding for a film.

Considering this is not the method directors are hired for a film, it serves no useful purpose. Again, this sounds more like Film school assignments than a short film contest.

You want to have a different opinion that's fine. I made my coments based on how the majority of short competitions are done. That doesn't make me wrong or you right.

Old 04 April 2005   #21
www.group101films.com and another group called "Shorties" though I couldn't say where exactly, both have monthly contests for six months. You forget to file your taxes, or pick the kids up from school, completely involving. They have a technical parameter that is either something useful to learn or an arbitrary element to prevent burning out on the possible, and a theme, like "supernatural" or "hand," etc.

UCLA's film school had a design class where three themes were picked, and the instructor was careful to prevent certain kinds of words from being included, though I don't particularly recall the logic there. I think "Red" and Hate," stuff like that. One film for each word, ten weeks.

UCLA's Animation Workshop had a once-a-year party called "Falling Lizard" where a group of (alum and) students would gather for three days and make something. The faculty had a hand in the structure. Once excerpts from Shakespeare were pulled from a hat, another year, everyone worked from the same 30 second clip of soundtrack, another year, we had to begin and end on the same image BECAUSE they were all edited together at the end, natch.

ANIJAM, I think, of the Animation Expo, and ANIMATION MARATHON from Animation Celebration/Animation Magazine, I haven't participated in.

48 hour film festivals where you have to include an onion and a line from a poem and some such thing -- I met a guy the other day who was VERY into winning this and knowing the scheduled date, arranged/begged-for studio space and all kinds of favors and had twelve extra's, a composer and complete crew...

There are actually more of these 48 Hour film things -- I include the animation ones, because I'm more familiar with them, and this is CGTalk. www.flashfilmworks.com I think started one of them.

Those of you who want to make a feature in a weekend I admire the most. 200 shots, 100 minutes, you use a script written by some madman like me that is my revenge on "Joan of Arcadia" and which is completely unverifiably TRUE TO EVERYTHING.

It's possible because one camera can shoot a bad Shakespeare performance in about four hours with blocking or two hours real time. IT'S SO WRONG to be allowed to shoot someone else's plays, I did it a bunch of times. "FILMMAKING FOR DUMMIES" (Wiley Books) is by a guy who would get a couple of aspiring actors together and shoot a 60 minute detective show in a fairly crazy time frame. I saw something he shot of a young Howie Mandel that was pretty good.

Of course, you gotta have a master list of "all the tricks" because ou're going to need every one of them.

And it has to be true.

Old 04 April 2005   #22
Originally Posted by MadMax: It would be the film equivalent of "Draw the pirate" from those old Art Instruction school ads.

Do you really want to see 2 dozen people making the exact same short, same script over and over? You'd be bored before you got through them all.

At least with a theme, you can see people doing whatever they want within that theme, not just rehash after rehash.

The Project Greenlight directors' contest involved making a short film from the same script. Location and situation were unspecified, the director had to figure out how to shoot it, what the lines of dialogue (such as "Tell me what you think of that") were talking about, etc. The entries were wildly different. Of the three finalist directors this season, one did a group of sorority girls torturing a frat guy, one did a guy plotting to kill his downstairs neighbor, and one did a dentist.

Personally I'd rather do it that way, since this would be a filmmaking contest and not a scriptwriting contest. I think it's just as interesting, if not moreso, to see the different ideas people can come up with within the boundaries of the script. Creativity is about what you can do within limitations, not when you have carte blanche.

M. Scott

Old 04 April 2005   #23
Thank you Drokman, I think you finally said what I tried to say previously.

*Edit* btw madmax, I feel some hostility coming from you, when none is needed. I was just trying to throw out an idea, I'm not forcing anyone to do it my way, its just one way I feel it would be interesting, but there are of course dozens of other ways to go. You don't have to keep qouteing me and my idea and basically making it out like I'm a moron for even suggesting it. Lets brainstorm and decide the final structure of the contest later...

Last edited by Shadow_545 : 04 April 2005 at 01:17 AM.

Old 04 April 2005   #24
Originally Posted by DorkmanScott: The Project Greenlight directors' contest involved making a short film from the same script. Location and situation were unspecified, the director had to figure out how to shoot it, what the lines of dialogue (such as "Tell me what you think of that") were talking about, etc. The entries were wildly different. Of the three finalist directors this season, one did a group of sorority girls torturing a frat guy, one did a guy plotting to kill his downstairs neighbor, and one did a dentist.

I don't know much about how the project greenlight goes, but how could they start with the same script and end up with such different shorts?
If the script is written a certain way to allow creativity, we would need a good writer who could write that for us.
I think as Roberto proposed it at first, the goal was to focus on one scene of an imaginary film such as a car chase or a fight to use his own examples. That wouldn't require any script at all and that would focus on the way you shoot. That could be interresting. As far as I am concerned, I prefer to write a script and direct it, but as the goal here is filmmaking, Roberto's proposition would be a good choice, IMHO.
Regards.
-IS-

Old 04 April 2005   #25
Thank all for the replies.
My idea is simple as hell.
A topic would be picked from a topic list posted by the group, for example:
"Air", "The Fight".

And you would have a month to do something with it.
My only requirement is that you need to post a storyboard (even a crude one)
and a shot list, BEFORE you film anything. If you want to add FX, no problem, go ahead.

The idea is to have fun and learn.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 04 April 2005   #26
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: My only requirement is that you need to post a storyboard (even a crude one)
and a shot list, BEFORE you film anything. If you want to add FX, no problem, go ahead.

Could you explain a little bit what you mean, Roberto? Why would it be required? For those like me who never work with a storyboard, wouldn't it be enough to post a detailed description of the shots?
Thanks.
-IS-

Old 04 April 2005   #27
Yes a detailed description would work. What I would like to see is some PRE PLANNING before shooting.

-R

Old 04 April 2005   #28
Using the www.group101films.com example, we were supposed to have the script done by the first week, though that's a tall order somtimes.

If I understand you, Roberto, you're saying if there isn't a script by the first week deadline, you're not in.

When the deadline came, we were all supposed to gather at a house with something, even if it fell flat or was left uneditied. AND it was expected to be a complete film with a beginning, middle and end: begins like a movie, goes somewhere, doesn't just mysteriously stop, hopefully ending like a Shakespeare sonnet or punch line.

(I like non-narrative, but you can be non-narrative and still have a line of logic.)

One other note I would make: if you have a larger project you want to do, find some way of squeezing the "theme" to fit it. I had one theme "Reverse" where I had a car driving in reverse.

My other suggestion would be to buy a $20 electret mike from Radio Shack to plug into the camera for those shooting live action sound.

One other thing I'm wondering about is where you want to load these to? lwg3d? triggerstreet?

Old 04 April 2005   #29
The way i see it, you all are adults.
There is only ONE dateline, you stick with it.
As long as you deliver the required materials by the dateline, you are kosher.

-R

Old 04 April 2005   #30
So, when are we starting! I'm so ready.

-Sagan, Carl.

reply share thread