portfolio
Benjamin Dry
IT Manager
Ballistic Media
Warradale, Australia

Houdini thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lplvlsl
Hi! Why there is no Houdini thread here?

It was recently added back in, hopefully it will remain front paged but this is up to the active threads per month.... we will see.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #32
bendry
Veteran
portfolio
Benjamin Dry
IT Manager
Ballistic Media
Warradale, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush123
Why not bring back the Messiah3d forum?

Especially as the 'dare to share' sales was very successful

R

More than happy to consider it, maybe you should run a Messiah3d workshop?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #33
rush123
Know-it-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendry
More than happy to consider it, maybe you should run a Messiah3d workshop?

Care to elaborate more on a 'workshop' in terms of CGTalk?

R

Old 03-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #34
Kirt
Expert

CGSociety Member
portfolio
na
USA

I think he means "Workshop".

Old 03-30-2011, 05:38 AM   #35
bendry
Veteran
portfolio
Benjamin Dry
IT Manager
Ballistic Media
Warradale, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush123
Care to elaborate more on a 'workshop' in terms of CGTalk?

R

As in a CGWorkshop, if you think it's worth it? Talk to Mike!

Old 05-25-2011, 06:43 AM   #36
earwax69
Ctrl+Altl+Chicken

portfolio
Thierry Fortier
Montreal/Osaka, Japan

What about a free area at the bottom of the main page, where everyone can talk about off topic stuff..? Most specialized forums have such thing.

Here an exemple from the Ableton forum;

THE LOUNGE
Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production

In it people in the CG field could speak about movies, music, books... anything! Its always akward to do free talk in the others sections... that would fix the problem!

Old 05-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #37
berniebernie
Schmppff...

portfolio
Bernie B.
Paris, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwax69
What about a free area at the bottom of the main page, where everyone can talk about off topic stuff..? Most specialized forums have such thing.

Here an exemple from the Ableton forum;

THE LOUNGE
Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production

In it people in the CG field could speak about movies, music, books... anything! Its always akward to do free talk in the others sections... that would fix the problem!

I'm not 100% sure about that one. On one hand, I really like the way the forums are professional and informative and that the signal-to-noise ratio is high, on the other hand the TF2 thread is by far the most popular and any discussions the least 'political' (overtime, rates, unions) get shot down which is sad IMO.

Also the forums are really slow/out of memory.. More volume might not be the smart solution...

Old 05-26-2011, 01:47 PM   #38
bendry
Veteran
portfolio
Benjamin Dry
IT Manager
Ballistic Media
Warradale, Australia

Interesting idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwax69

It's worth thinking about but I think we are really trying to concentrate on improving the signal to noise ratio rather than try to be everything to everyone.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #39
bendry
Veteran
portfolio
Benjamin Dry
IT Manager
Ballistic Media
Warradale, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniebernie
I'm not 100% sure about that one. On one hand, I really like the way the forums are professional and informative and that the signal-to-noise ratio is high, on the other hand the TF2 thread is by far the most popular and any discussions the least 'political' (overtime, rates, unions) get shot down which is sad IMO.

Also the forums are really slow/out of memory.. More volume might not be the smart solution...

It's a fine balance that we will never be able to please everyone with but we will continue to always look at this type of feedback and make adjustments accordingly.

As for the issues with speed/memory etc, we are looking into that at them moment, something is jamming up the system at times and it's not entirely obvious, we have more than enough resources to cope.... stay tuned.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:59 AM   #40
earwax69
Ctrl+Altl+Chicken

portfolio
Thierry Fortier
Montreal/Osaka, Japan

Well, thats the point. Keeping the noise out of the CG threads! And go to the Lounge room for when you feel to do some noise.

Im sure it would be popular. And CG talk could even put 2-3 more ad banners in it just to justify the effort.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #41
ArtPotato
Frequenter

portfolio
Michael McDonald
Mid-Level Artist
EA
Melbourne, Australia

New website design limits exposure

Hi there, I'm not sure if this has been brought to anyone's attention yet, but I would strongly suggest to put a stronger emphasis on showing new artwork submissions and CG awards on the home page.

Currently there is no way of knowing when an artist has received a CG choice award without going into the forums, also the randomly generated artwork thumbstrips at the top and bottom of the homepage tends to only show popular artwork that most regular CGS users have seen already.

Because of these things, I am finding myself using CGS less and less and turning to other art websites instead. I have been a huge fan of CGS for years, but lately I feel the information is too disjointed and can no longer quickly visit the page and see something fresh and inspiring.

Hope this helps

Old 02-15-2012, 01:05 AM   #42
DSW
Banned
portfolio
DSW
USA

Allowing Discussions on Pricing

Many times over the years people have asked questions about pricing.

"How much should I charge?" "What is a good price for this?" ""Is this price too much?"

And these threads are either deleted or locked. CGTalk is a PERFECT destination to discuss all things CG - except apparently pricing. This is something that MANY people would like to discuss but can't. IMO (and apparently others) it would be a VERY good idea to allow discussions concerning pricing of their work in various markets here at CGTalk.

I am hoping that this suggestion will be taken seriously and not swept aside because "that's the way it's always been." Perhaps a new set of rules regarding HOW pricing is discussed would be a better method as opposed to no pricing discussion at all?

Respectfully,

Dave Williams

Old 02-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #43
SanKri
Frequenter

portfolio
Sandra Steffensen
Illustrator
Sandra Steffensen Illustrasjon
Norway

Art and Business topics

I'd like to come with a suggestion too, based upon DSW's post.
Is it possible to organize so that CGSociety can have a section devoted to business related topics? Since working as an artist is 50% fun and 50% business, it would be great to have a forum where one can discuss this subject. Pricing, legal issues, contracts, rates, how to deal with clients, self promotion, budgeting, you name it. Having a section where all this information is gathered and discussed would be very helpful for any artist looking for advises or sources on business related issues.

Being able to post numbers could also be beneficial. Either for artists looking for help on estimating what they should charge for, or for people who simply want to discuss how the world economy is affecting an artists salary. I understand how this might be problematic - but perhaps CGsociety could consider trying it out for a small period of time to see if it worked?
Thanks.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:07 AM   #44
Andrewty07
lifelong scholar of art

portfolio
Andrew Prewett
Animator
walnut creek, USA

Alright I posted a suggestion forum for having one dedicated to business, vote in the poll and comment to share your thoughts =] http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1036154

Old 05-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #45
lenin17ec
portfolio
Lenin Tamayo
Quito, EC

Smile Cg Workshop

Can you make your workshops in spanish language? Many people that speak this language follow your web.. Im sure that you can get someone instructors that speak spanish, and many people included me will pay for this. For example exist another web that offered a Nuke course for $1600, but is so expensive. You have the best courses on the web, with excellents instructors and very convenient price. I think that will have many demand.

Sorry for my bad English...

Regards, and thanks!

reply share thread