Old 05-10-2010, 07:57 PM   #17
bobzilla
Next stop Willoughby.

Robert Bovasso
graphic artist
Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey, USA

Here's a test I did many moons ago.

http://www.theiguanaden.com/pages/animations.html

I tried to get the size factor with body movement rather than speed of movement. Speed of movement (for me) was difficult to get right without it looking like it was in slow motion. The legs have to lift slower and land faster, then pause slightly, then the other leg starts.

These guys seem like they know what they're doing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKZJEuVdezo

Old 05-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #18
martinf430
Frequenter
portfolio
martin
glasgow, United Kingdom

Animaticoide i never said my animation was perfect its far from it, thats why i linked Swordlord and Vigorro's efforts as they are pretty spot on. The fact remains however that your spinosaurus looks like its running on the moon. The monsters resurrected walk cycle u look like u have used for reference (from around 1:38s) doesn't look the best reference in my opinion it looks way front heavy and like its struggling to walk. I would focus on some of the reference for spino that others have posted. Just my opinions though, if u disagree then thats your prerogative.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:46 PM   #19
Animaticoide
Veteran
portfolio
agmlabs
agmlabs.com
Austin, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinf430
Animaticoide i never said my animation was perfect its far from it, thats why i linked Swordlord and Vigorro's efforts as they are pretty spot on. The fact remains however that your spinosaurus looks like its running on the moon. The monsters resurrected walk cycle u look like u have used for reference (from around 1:38s) doesn't look the best reference in my opinion it looks way front heavy and like its struggling to walk. I would focus on some of the reference for spino that others have posted. Just my opinions though, if u disagree then thats your prerogative.

I don't think you have gotten the point yet. The slow motion is an artifact to show the animation....For example if you have seen Rocky...when he gets punch the movements are shown in slow motion, right? Well it doesn't mean that Rocky is fighting on the moon..Right?

Old 05-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #20
Animaticoide
Veteran
portfolio
agmlabs
agmlabs.com
Austin, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla
These guys seem like they know what they're doing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKZJEuVdezo

I agreed on this one....I can see some harmony with the weight and speed. Actually now I am tented to create a walkcycle using the same model applying a few of the concepts suggested on this thread, which many I consider very logical.

Also I could not watch your animations since a quicktime plug in is necessary to play. I don't like quicktime since it becomes very annoying. Do you have any on YouTube ? Or may be FLV format?

@TO ALL:
Remember that this is a Forum to improve our work by analyzing feedback....however we have the right to disagreed at some level in order to discuss deeply a topic or get something more precise to improve our work. I will work on a Dino walkcycle to see how it goes.

Last edited by Animaticoide : 05-10-2010 at 11:03 PM.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #21
ciarand
Veteran

portfolio
Ciaran Dempsey
Animator / Visualizer
3rddimension
Dublin, Ireland

Okay you don't seem to be getting this or else you misunderstood me,

First of all, I never said to look at the weight of the raptor clip, I was showing it to show a good example of how a dinosaur moves, the weight shifts and balance and how you could study it to improve your own animation. These clips have one major thing, a fundamental in animation - Appeal. The movement looks very natural, the dinos are balanced, the speed looks good - okay maybe a little fast in the gigantosaurus clip but only slightly.

The problem with your run is that despite the animal weighing 7 tons as you say, his body is floating about. I agree with you that it take more time for him to take a step than a human for example, but it still travels a much greater distance with each step, right now you have him taking tiny steps despite the huge amount of energy his upper body seems to be exerting. I mean, he is only covering about the same distance as when he was walking. Scientist estimate a T-Rex top speed to anywhere between 20-40mph, a Spinosaurus would be similar but your run does not reflect that at all.

When I mentioned the elephant I was obviously not talking about how many steps per second it takes, which is what you seem to be talking about, I mean that for a heavy animal when it runs it can still cover ground quickly, reaching speeds around 25mph.

Also, I agree that Jurassic Park and the clips that DapOON and Imaver provided are excellent examples of a large dinosaur animation. If I had found them I would have provided them myself, so I dont know why you think that I don't agree with the weight there. The ones I provided were just the best examples I could find after a very quick search.

The first two examples that martinf430 showed are excellent, possibly the best I have seen on the net, but for some reason you just criticize his work instead without so much as thanking him which I think was bad form and pretty ungrateful.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:03 PM   #22
martinf430
Frequenter
portfolio
martin
glasgow, United Kingdom

No it doesnt but if u animate him the way you have that spinosaurus he will look like hes on the moon. Maybe if you are wanting to show slow motion you should make it a bit slower. Seems like everyone is trying to help you but your taking it personal or being defensive. We are just trying to help you better your animation. Sometimes others can judge it better when they haven't been looking at it for hours upon hours, which im sure u have.Think yourself lucky, at least people seem to be willing to crit yours.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:25 PM   #23
bobzilla
Next stop Willoughby.

Robert Bovasso
graphic artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animaticoide
Also I could not watch your animations since a quicktime plug in is necessary to play. I don't like quicktime since it becomes very annoying. Do you have any on YouTube ? Or may be FLV format?

Sorry, no, just QT.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:35 PM   #24
Animaticoide
Veteran
portfolio
agmlabs
agmlabs.com
Austin, USA

Guys don't bring words like ungrateful..personal..no thanking etc...that's not the main point here. I guess we are all adults discussing technical things about animation. Put your feelings aside please.

I always appreciate crits....but my friends...no always they are right...and it seems that that bugs some of you. We express crits as opinions, but that's not a fact indeed. We have seen many clips here, some slower some others faster..( ACTUALLY made by professionals) ..some betters and some worst....so what is the problem in saying I disagreed on X or Y? Actually I have stated clearly that there are many useful points here. Mine is not perfect either!..if i think one of the TREX animations is too fast, why getting hurt for this....? I appreciate all the comments and crits, but in order to get the best out of it ( FOR ALL OF US DINO LOVERS) we must discuss, ask why, analyze....if you guys take the words of other right away you will never be concise at anything.

Martinf430 sticks with the moon like walk impression, I tried to explain him the slow motion....he disagrees....that's fine I disagreed with him....but I still like him....what is the issue? Because I said his animation is robotic?

Well he might agreed or he might ask me why I think so? Give me more explicit details because I don't think so, would be a better reply rather than feeling that this is personal......

An old said: There is nothing wrong in being controversial as long as you are sincere in your belief.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:44 AM   #25
Animaticoide
Veteran
portfolio
agmlabs
agmlabs.com
Austin, USA

WOW guys..what do you think about these ones? Convincing or not? Not made by me just searching

http://www.vimeo.com/10097219

http://www.enricovalenza.com/aenv.html

Last edited by Animaticoide : 05-11-2010 at 04:22 AM.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #26
bobzilla
Next stop Willoughby.

Robert Bovasso
graphic artist

Those are both good. The Blending with Dinosaurs has been around for a while. I like the overall movement, but I don;t like the foot work. Looks a little "dainty".

The first one is good, too. No real crits, except not sure the head movement in the multi-angle shot is accurate with the body movement. The first shot of it alone, is great!

The Walking ON the Moon comments: Are you animating it in real time, then slowing it down, or are you trying to animate it in slow motion?

Old 05-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #27
jsolson
Veteran

portfolio
John Olson
Animator
Crystal Dynamics
USA

Send a message via AIM to jsolson
Remove the camera shake and re-post. The camera shake fakes weight, if you have a solid animation, then you don't need a camera shake. Personally watching it many times and I have to say it doesn't look right, and regardless of speed, gravity, all these factors are useless to talk about if it doesn't look right. Call it the human gut reaction. I think you have a good start here, but until the camera shake is removed and a new video is posted I agree with the comments above.

--------------------------------

www.jso.me

Old 05-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #28
lightcache
Know-it-All

portfolio
lightcache
freelance
United Kingdom

hmm. its a good atempt, but it just doesnt look right. i know "right" isnt exactly helpful. but these chaps here that have posted replies are correct in what they say. there isnt enough weight shift!
dont take this the wrong way, but there really isnt much point posting something for critique.
if you cant take it. learning to swallow my ego was one of the hardest lessons ive ever learnt.
but it only improved my work. vastly infact. becuase it made me willing to accept being wrong. move on and start over. this time better and with other peoples input.
any that crits is actually trying to help, afterall.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #29
Animaticoide
Veteran
portfolio
agmlabs
agmlabs.com
Austin, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsolson
Remove the camera shake and re-post. The camera shake fakes weight, if you have a solid animation, then you don't need a camera shake. Personally watching it many times and I have to say it doesn't look right, and regardless of speed, gravity, all these factors are useless to talk about if it doesn't look right. Call it the human gut reaction. I think you have a good start here, but until the camera shake is removed and a new video is posted I agree with the comments above.

There are agreements and disagreements above...no very explicit.
Camera shake should not be removed, it is a general trick to create weight illusion. Watch the big films.
I respect your opinion though.
Thanks for your comment.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #30
Animaticoide
Veteran
portfolio
agmlabs
agmlabs.com
Austin, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcache
hmm. its a good atempt, but it just doesnt look right. i know "right" isnt exactly helpful. but these chaps here that have posted replies are correct in what they say. there isnt enough weight shift!
dont take this the wrong way, but there really isnt much point posting something for critique.
if you cant take it. learning to swallow my ego was one of the hardest lessons ive ever learnt.
but it only improved my work. vastly infact. becuase it made me willing to accept being wrong. move on and start over. this time better and with other peoples input.
any that crits is actually trying to help, afterall.

Read careful all the posts...we are adults...the EGO was probably your problem no mine. Do not derail the thread to personal stuff that you just imagine based on your passed experiences....we are all different.

Asking why has nothing to do with ego....to disagree at some point is not personal....it is a way to improve....A disagreement should not hurt you at all....put your feelings aside and concentrate in the technical stuff. Don't think that everyone has to agree with your opinions my friend. I don't think that is the point here....Look all opinions are different....some people say this or that....you must filter what you consider it right....Do not confuse EGO with Confidence in yourself.....You missed that lesson. For example this guy says that Camera Shake NEEDS to be removed...So what can I say if I don't think so? He is not a bad person! That's his opinion..and actually many Big Movies use the Camera Shake...so Do you really think I must take his word for it? That would reflect insecurity in yourself....no the EGO thing...

Thread Closed share thread