Would you play Mario VR?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

12 December 2017
Would you play Mario VR?

https://youtu.be/rzZyMJTDncg

Hi. Just short animation of my Super Mario in "VR" or rather my idea of ​​what it might look like. I would like to play it right now, unfortunately its just short animated clip done in Blender. Anyway, I still hope you like it!

12 December 2017
Very nice idea. It wouldn't be at all difficult to make a game like this in Unity or UE you know?

You could pair with a coder to make this, for both VR glasses and normal mouse/keyboard/screen setups.

Super Mario is an extremely easy game to write for a programmer. Most early platformer games were created by 2 - 3 people max (1 graphics guy, 1 programmer, 1 sound guy) and used very, very simple code under the hood.

Games like Super Mario are even easier to create today, because there are ready made Physics Engines you can use. Back then, the programmer had to write physics code for the jumping, collision code that checks whether you have landed properly on a platform, code that determines when you go over the edge of a platform and so on. All that stuff is very easy with today's game physics.

All you'd have to do is call it something else (so Nintendo doesn't come down on you with their lawyers) and completely change the look of the characters and so on.

The people who made Great Giana Sisters did that back in the 1980s and were extremely successful. Look it up on Youtube.

I'd change some of the play mechanics though. Instead of hitting blocks with your head from below (which may become tedious in VR) you could change that to punching them with your fist or something.

Good luck.

01 January 2018
Hi there.
Thank you for long reply. There could be some possibilities for me how to move this idea to higher levels. I'm still beginnerthough. So we will see where this takes me

All the best!
Jake

reply share thread