portfolio
Clement Gerard
Lead Sequence
Double Negative
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via ICQ to cg81
Smile Lighting / Generalist TD - Latest Reel

Hi guys,

I finally found the time to update my reel with the latest projects I worked on :

https://vimeo.com/56950523

I tried to do something a bit different from my previous reel. I hope you'll like it

Thanks

Old 02-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
copain
Frequenter

portfolio
Steve De Vriendt
freelance 3D artist
www.stevedevriendt.com
london, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to copain
Brilliant work Clement!
Awesome projects you worked on, Bravo

Steve

Old 02-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
cg81
Veteran
portfolio
Clement Gerard
Lead Sequence
Double Negative
London, United Kingdom

Thank for your comments Steve much appreciated

Merci

Old 02-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
reishill
portfolio
Reis hill
Dudley, GB

Inspired by your work, I'm at the very beginning of my 3D career and I'm determined to take it further.

Can I ask from a professionals perspective at how I can make sure I'm on the right track, and get better? Are there any recommendations such as Gnome school online or certain methods?

Well done keep up the great work!
Reis.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
cg81
Veteran
portfolio
Clement Gerard
Lead Sequence
Double Negative
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by reishill
Inspired by your work, I'm at the very beginning of my 3D career and I'm determined to take it further.

Can I ask from a professionals perspective at how I can make sure I'm on the right track, and get better? Are there any recommendations such as Gnome school online or certain methods?

Well done keep up the great work!
Reis.

Hi Reis,

Thank you very much for your nice comments. I don't really have specific recommendations regarding how to improve your skills. I have to say after couple of years in the industry I met tons of people with complete different backgrounds so I guess there is not A way to get there and improve. It's all hard work and love for your craft (I know it sounds a bit dumb to say) to systematically push yourself and also learn from people you work with is very important.

So I'd say, school / no school , learning from the internet there's no ideal path, it all depends what kind of person you are if you need a structure to improve or if you prefer to learn by yourself both are working .

I hope it helps a little

Old 02-13-2013, 01:02 AM   #6
NickWhitmire
Lord of the posts

portfolio
nick whitmire
Animator
Blur Studio
Venice, USA

Wow, super impressive work. Id love to know more about what you did in the generalist shots.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
reishill
portfolio
Reis hill
Dudley, GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81
Hi Reis,

Thank you very much for your nice comments. I don't really have specific recommendations regarding how to improve your skills. I have to say after couple of years in the industry I met tons of people with complete different backgrounds so I guess there is not A way to get there and improve. It's all hard work and love for your craft (I know it sounds a bit dumb to say) to systematically push yourself and also learn from people you work with is very important.

So I'd say, school / no school , learning from the internet there's no ideal path, it all depends what kind of person you are if you need a structure to improve or if you prefer to learn by yourself both are working .

I hope it helps a little

Thank you for your feedback, I agree with what your saying.
In terms of developing your skills, how did you personally get to the level you are today and get into the industry?

And from your perspective how am I able to get into the industry at a beginner level, I'm currently self teaching maya, Once I feel I've got to the stage where I'm able to develop my own showreel, from an employers perspective what do they look for?
Are you expected to develop the whole showreel including the video editing and transitions ( as presentation sells ) or can you get someone else to do it as part of there video editing portfolio or is it frowned upon to do so?

I've seen hundreds of showreels as they inspire me but I've noticed, I only see the end result is that because people have two different type of showreels? One for freelance one for company basis?
The reason I say this is because surly with a company showing a showreel with scenes that have clean and named geometry, shaders, folder directories and setting up attributes for ease of the animators would be more beneficial in a pipeline production workflow and be more appealing to an employer?

Sorry for the bombard of questions, theres a lot more haha just intrigued and want to know and find out as much as I can. Working for the type of films you have is something I'm aiming towards and enthusiastic about.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:20 AM   #8
cg81
Veteran
portfolio
Clement Gerard
Lead Sequence
Double Negative
London, United Kingdom

Thank you for your feedback, I agree with what your saying.
In terms of developing your skills, how did you personally get to the level you are today and get into the industry?

Well, I went to a school to learn art and cg after my bachelor degree. Then I got lucky enough to find a job in the industry and only then I really started to learn my job and improve my skills. Like I previous said it's hard work and a bit of luck

And from your perspective how am I able to get into the industry at a beginner level, I'm currently self teaching maya, Once I feel I've got to the stage where I'm able to develop my own showreel, from an employers perspective what do they look for?

Really depends on the kind of work you'd like to do, feature animation film, vfx , motion design. I only speak for myself here but in my opinion what employers are looking for is potential. A reel doesn't have to be amazing for you to get a job it's all about how much and how fast you will improve in the right environment and your reel needs to reflect that.

Small companies like generalists people which is a very good way to learn the all post-production workflow and try a bit of everything.

Then, if you really like something in particular and nothing else (like animation or lighting) a big company is usually more suitable (even if you still have people doing a bit more than one thing when it's allowed).

Are you expected to develop the whole showreel including the video editing and transitions ( as presentation sells ) or can you get someone else to do it as part of there video editing portfolio or is it frowned upon to do so?

Oh for the show reel it's up to you, it's your work and it's entirely up to you to present it the way you want .

I've seen hundreds of showreels as they inspire me but I've noticed, I only see the end result is that because people have two different type of showreels? One for freelance one for company basis?

I'd love to put a before/after or wireframe > final image but unfortunately any image produce in a company for a client belongs to that client. Which means I would need to ask for the studio's approval to put a making of of my shots .

The reason I say this is because surly with a company showing a showreel with scenes that have clean and named geometry, shaders, folder directories and setting up attributes for ease of the animators would be more beneficial in a pipeline production workflow and be more appealing to an employer?

Not entirely sure I understood your question. You mean showing how neat and clean your scenes are on top of your images ?
I guess it makes sense for a modelling reel (you can have a beautiful sculpt but the topology can be awful and impossible to use for rigging for example). Eventually for a rigging reel where you can show how you create the setup, controllers etc.
For everything else it's not really necessary as you will have to stick to the workflow, naming convention and tools of the company you will work for .

No worries about the questions , it's always a pleasure to talk with passionate people

Old 02-15-2013, 01:25 AM   #9
cg81
Veteran
portfolio
Clement Gerard
Lead Sequence
Double Negative
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayazeus
Wow, super impressive work. Id love to know more about what you did in the generalist shots.

Thank you for your comments Mayazeus I'm glad you enjoyed watching my reel . Well I haven't finished to write my breakdown yet but most of the time when I put the mention "generalist" on a shot it means I've done a bit of everything on it.
Doesn't mean I've done everything of course it's always a team work but sometimes I get the opportunity to do more than lighting or lookdev, a bit of postViz, modelling, texturing, matte painting / 2.5 D work. What ever is needed to complete the shot . It's always a good opportunity to try / learn something new .
Coming from a commercial background where I was used to do shots from matchmove to final comp. Obviously it's more difficult to work that way in film (not to say impossible) but I'm always trying to do as much as I can on my shots also because it gives me a better understanding of what is needed and what would is the best way to complete a shot efficiently (3D ? 2D ? 2.5D ?)

Old 02-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
Kyron
Cat lover

portfolio
Christian Kragh
Method Studios
Copenhagen, Denmark

Great reel. So many nice projects you have been working on. I also wish I was allowed to do, before/after shots but like you mentioned, NDA´s and stuff

Is it all rendered in PRman?

Old 02-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
cg81
Veteran
portfolio
Clement Gerard
Lead Sequence
Double Negative
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyron
Great reel. So many nice projects you have been working on. I also wish I was allowed to do, before/after shots but like you mentioned, NDA´s and stuff

Is it all rendered in PRman?

Thank you Kyron . Yeah I've been lucky enough to work on pretty cool stuff , yeah I'd love to put some making of to show a bit more how it's all done . Yes, It's all rendered in Prman except the only commercial I put in the end which was rendered with Arnold. Prman still being the most used render engine in the film industry for now .

Old 02-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
BelalSaeed

portfolio
Belal Saeed
Concept Artist / Character Artist
Freelance
Cairo, Egypt

Send a message via MSN to BelalSaeed
Amazing Reel!..Love it

Old 02-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #13
Kyron
Cat lover

portfolio
Christian Kragh
Method Studios
Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81
Thank you Kyron . Yeah I've been lucky enough to work on pretty cool stuff , yeah I'd love to put some making of to show a bit more how it's all done . Yes, It's all rendered in Prman except the only commercial I put in the end which was rendered with Arnold. Prman still being the most used render engine in the film industry for now .

We actually use Vray (used to be Mray) for just about every single project. But I would love to learn PRman as well, which is my biggest scare for applying for jobs overseas

Old 02-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #14
cg81
Veteran
portfolio
Clement Gerard
Lead Sequence
Double Negative
London, United Kingdom

Oh you shouldn't be afraid to apply overseas because you don't know Prman Kyron .

There's nothing magical and mystical about Prman you know just like Arnold, Vray, Brazil, Final render or any other render engine you will learn quickly how it works. Ok Prman is a bit different because it's not a full raytracer and it's a reyes renderer but you can find all the documentation on the internet to know enough to use it .
Plus keep in mind that most of the big facilities have an entire pipeline around Prman and bridge between maya to Prman, system to create / manage the shaders (it's been a long time I haven't used the original slim shader tool of Pixar ).

Old 02-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #15
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread