animation reel

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #1
animation reel

hi everyone, I want to share my animation reel here, i will share a previous with current so that you can see learning progress

this is link to previous reel https://vimeo.com/15477477
this is link to current reel https://vimeo.com/39916799

abit about me, I graduated at May from advanced animation programme but i still keep learning hm, hopefull I can be able to find myself job even take internship

thank you everyone, sorry my bad english >.<

Old 08 August 2012   #2
Hi Chien,

Clearly you have improved your skill from the previous reel, all I can say is keep practicing your body mechanics and keep in mind the 12 principle of animation whenever you animate

Keep it up, you're on the right track dude!

Old 08 August 2012   #3
After watching your reel.....here are the two points positive and negative!!

POSITIVE = your Basic animations like Ball bounce, Flour sack animation are good...!! your basic fundamentals like Squash and stretch Timing spacing are clear!!

Negative = your character animations are lacking basic principles such as MOVING HOLDS (the character shouldnt stop/pause completely for many frames..it should continue slowly without completely stopping), OVERLAPPING action (every body part doesnt move at the same time a Particluar part lead while the other follows for eg- in some case the hips lead while the spine chest and head follow one after another) TIMING in dialouge acting- the gestures arent hitting as per the Beats of the dialouge!!
Critiques as per shots=
Shot 1. Moving holds and overlapps missing. The hand Gesture on the word " Enough" is too loud. the expression on enough is not understandable
Shot 2. it seems like you have gestured for every word for the standing character you need to have only a Gesture for a single sentence mostly. again Moving holds and overlapps missing the character is Pause for long time (like a statue in many poses) for both characters. the hand of the sitting characer is pause for a long time in a very Awkward pose after it turns it should be relaxed or kept on something. need to work more on Expressions.
Shot 3. again the Actions are loud and gestures on almost every word Lipsync isnt proper The Spine is mostly moving only in forward direction not moving in Z axis The girls hands are in Air very awkword pose the reaction of the girl is not clear enough (cant be read)
Shot 4. Nice shot nice acting good poses... only the character isnt settling properly at the end..The eye direction of the character should on the Ball Overlapps can make this shot smooth make the spine chest head follow the Hips nice delay on teh head would look more good.
SHOT 5. walk i think u tried to atempt a Stealth walk but the POSE of the character doesnt looks like it...and the Animation is very Jerky
SHOT 6. WALKCYCLE There is no movement is Spine and head Pose itself not proper doesnt looks like it is walking The knees are Jerking Weight is missing because there is no Weight shifts!

Overall i would say you showed good Efforts but the problem is you are doing Hardwork without Proper Knowledge. you also need to follow a proper ANIMATION WORKFLOW. I would Recommend you to Shoot yourself with a camera or your partner Acting or doing stuffs like walking etc then watch the video reference frame by frame and study the movements of each body part how they move? why they move? their Timings. Before starting a animation always decide about what the character is thinking what and why is he in the situtation. I would recommend you to Read the book ANIMATION SURVIVAL KIT its the best book for learning animation if you read dont only just copy the poses from it but read and study the whole book. you can also watch the Video Lectures of the Animation survival kit..buy that DVD or if you cant just download it ...it was very helpful for me to learn the basics. watch and read tutorials on the internet. Please dont take my Critiques as negative points just take the points to improve yourself Learning Animation takes time. Even mine was same like this 1 year back then i learned from watching many tutorials reading books like Survival kit reading blogs studying other's animation. even now i am learning Proper animation Everyone in this industry is learning nobody is perfect. and always show your animation to other Animators who are working in the industry Always keep asking for critiques!!
here are some links for you
http://keithlango.blogspot.in/p/fre...-tutorials.html
http://blog.11secondclub.com/search...%20the%20basics
http://blog.11secondclub.com/search/label/Tutorials

Old 08 August 2012   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread