E.T.A. by JUNK - Animated Short

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2008   #31
Great work! I think it looked beautiful....really strong points for lighting, compositing, etc.

My main problem was with the story....first of all, you implement a copyrighted alien design, really shooting yourself in the foot when it comes to being able to get this short out there (can't sell it commercially, etc). Also, I thought the ending was "cute"...but it really didn't suit the epic environments and models created for the short....and it was very anticlimactic.

Anyways....my only gripes were with the story...everything else looked great!

Old 06 June 2008   #32
wow! really impressive

Old 06 June 2008   #33
It looked really cool, top cinematic quality but I found the story kind of boring and was really expecting more than just a gag that could be part of bigger story.

Old 06 June 2008   #34
What if he wants a Danish?
A Dalek rolls in?

Old 06 June 2008   #35
great piece.

love it.

Old 06 June 2008   #36
Great work!

Loved it!

You made it work on all the difficult CG levels, but, far more than that, you're now becoming real storytellers. Way to go. Next stop Hollywood (as it were, and so to speak).

You've even made me enviously wish our movie was as sensibly short, so we could finish too!

In fact, you'll probably have your next one finished long before we can show ours:-(( sigh....

Compensation, though! We can enjoy yours while we wait....and wait....

Old 06 June 2008   #37
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAA!

that anticipation was so good. Such a well done short film. Congratulations.
the only thing I can comment on is that the texture detail in the planet was lacking. That could have been bumped up. More terrain variety.

Old 06 June 2008   #38
hehehe .. coffee alien-dude .. hehehe
good stuff & well done!

Old 06 June 2008   #39
Very nice to see it's finally done, Henrik!
It's better to see it all in final quality than the halfway-done version, tho :P
Truely deserved the frontpage plug it got

Greetings from Germany
(to the physically smaller fish, too )

Old 06 June 2008   #40
amazing work man!!. every thing was perfect!

Old 06 June 2008   #41
Thanks for all the comments and feedback.
It's allways nice to hear what people think -good or bad.

After all the hard work we put into it it's also nice to see our little short getting plugged for the frontpage.

Again thank you all.

Old 06 June 2008   #42
Glad to see this posted I also saw this via Breakpoint live stream. I loved it and still do, I show it to all my friends

Old 06 June 2008   #43
That was simply amazing I was on the floor when I saw that the alien was the coffee machine, very funny.

Old 06 June 2008   #44
Visor66: Thank you!
Vray was used for rendering everything. Primary used features were sss skin on Marvin (the pilot), displacement on his shoes and max standard lights with vray area shadows.

For the entire interior of the cockpit I set up a dome light setup which was baked into all of the static models (excluding the props) and enabled as selfillumination for each material on a very subtle setting. However, if I were to do the lighting and the whole setup from scratch I would not have done this, as I believe the effect is near negligible in the end. Plus it it was horrible to patch up through a variety of scripts for sub-materials and had to be baked at the highest level of subdivisions set for each model to end up right (meaning about twice the scene size due to automatic unwrapping on all interior models).

In short: No GI. Baked occlusion maps. Don't go there. - at least not the way I did.

ChristianW: Thanks a lot - and I'll tell Jesper and Thomas you said hi!

And thank you all for all your encouraging comments - and critique as well! We truly appreciate all of it.

- And thanks to Roberto for giving us the plug!

Last edited by henrikbc : 06 June 2008 at 03:35 PM. Reason: typo

Old 06 June 2008   #45
Wow. That was awesome. =)

Thread Closed share thread