Substantia - animation short

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2007
Very very impressed. That was amazing

10 October 2007
Amazing Work!

Congratulations!! I liked a lot!

I only suggest one thing, its about edition.

At 1:22 the flower grows and then cuts to almost the same plane/animation as before,
and feels a little confuse.
After that, everything is ok for me.

Good job!

10 October 2007
Thanks swardson. I know exactly what you mean about the naysayers. As long as there is no constructive criticism (which is what I implied with "C&C welcome") in what they say, I know what to do with it .

By the way, just in case it wasn't clear already (and jasoto has been making an effort to make it so, hehe), all your congratulations also go to jasoto. He is Josť A. Soto (a name you will see at the top of the website), co-director of Substantia. So, even if I did most of the CG work, we are both responsible for the idea, the story and the overall creative process, and so kudos also goes to him.

10 October 2007
Originally Posted by dickma: Sorry, I feel that there's a problem about plugging into the frontpage.

It doesn't mean the animation is no good but it seems that with a few people response to the thread and "yell" plug it, and so it got "plugged". I just think about what does it means?

(4 people response to the thread and so it get plugged?)

The call to plug something or not is the responsibility of the moderators.
People can recommend something to be plugged, but it is the moderators who decide at the end.

Originally Posted by ringzero: I agree

I think Ortiz has a personal interest in this from reeading the post where someone mentions he helped with the idea behind this. Nothin wrong with a mod having a personal interest I guess...but...I do think the quality of this piece does no good for CGTALK standards.

I had NOTHING to do with the short (I wish I did). Sweet Mocca Mocca, people relax.

And the piece DESERVED the plug.
If you wish to continue this conversation send me a Pm.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 10 October 2007 at 12:56 AM.

10 October 2007
I really liked this.
Nice, clean idea, and great story told by using such simple elements.
Well deserved front page, if nothing than for very creative use of animation. But there are, of course, a lot of other good aspects that also contribute to this piece.

Congratulations and I wish you many awards.

10 October 2007
I'm normally not the kind of person that enjoys this kind of productions, but I have to admit this particular one is well conceived, and it grew on me pretty quick, up to the point where a minute into it I couldn't pretend I didn't like it

Technically it might probably have been just a lil bit better, but it was still good enough value that it never spoiled the actual point of the movie.
I liked it because of the clear but not overstated symbolism, a very good sense of timing, a well fitting (if a bit "standard/stereotypical") soundtrack, and an overall good editing and direction.

It got a smile out of me and made me want to send a link to a couple friends, which is probably what makes a short a good one.

Congratulations to the whole team.

10 October 2007
That was great! Congratulations to everybody involved in making this. I love the simplicity of the visuals and storytelling. Simple, but beautiful and effective.

10 October 2007
So beautiful.. really simple yet well done. great job!

10 October 2007
Wow. At first I didnít know what I was looking at, but I think about the time the second comet deflected off the icy heart everything hit me at once, and I was instantly impressed.

The minimalism/simplicity got to me too. It seemed effortless in its storytellingólike the story didnít even have to try to tell itself, just that natural. Iím an animation student trying to develop a concept for my senior project, so Iíve been looking at a bunch of shorts but have yet to see one with this much clarity and simplicity. Itís simply beautiful.

The only thing Iíve been trying to figure out is what the heart in the extreme close up shots at the beginning means. Is that the same heart as the one at the end? Thatís no critique, though; this film definitely deserves further study.

Iím glad this was on the front page; otherwise I think I would have missed it.

5 stars and a hearty thanks to both of youóexcellent piece

10 October 2007
good job and http://www.substantia.eu/ very beautiful!

10 October 2007
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: The call to plug something or not is the responsibility of the moderators.
People can recommend something to be plugged, but it is the moderators who decide at the end.

I had NOTHING to do with the short (I wish I did). Sweet Mocca Mocca, people relax.

And the piece DESERVED the plug.
If you wish to continue this conversation send me a Pm.

-R

I would like to know why it is get plugged with a few people yelled "plugged", not to explain your responsibility here, that we are already know.

10 October 2007
Originally Posted by dickma: I would like to know why it is get plugged with a few people yelled "plugged", not to explain your responsibility here, that we are already know.

It got plugged because Roberto saw it, liked it, and thought other people would have liked it too, hence the piece deserved attention. THAT is why it was plugged, people going "omgwtfplug" have no relevance whatsoever.
Going by how many people are enjoying the piece, Roberto was right. Now could you please stop polluting a thread that is meant to be about the short, and not your concerns with plugging mechanisms and moderators? Thanks.

10 October 2007
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO: It got plugged because Roberto saw it, liked it, and thought other people would have liked it too, hence the piece deserved attention. THAT is why it was plugged, people going "omgwtfplug" have no relevance whatsoever.
Going by how many people are enjoying the piece, Roberto was right. Now could you please stop polluting a thread that is meant to be about the short, and not your concerns with plugging mechanisms and moderators? Thanks.

Well I just hope that he will be more professional next time on the plugging the frontpage.

Because what I feel the problem is what he did was just for his personal interests, rather than to introduce the values of this animation to us, that worth the plug. Not just me, the others also have this question about that, especially for this case, with 4 people yelled "plug it" so it got "plugged".

10 October 2007
I usually don't bother posting on things like this.. but WOW. Well done. Really strong piece. I wish there were more stuff like this instead of the usual character animation with a gag at the end.

As for those who are crying about the plug. Get over yourself. I would have plugged this regardless of what anyone has to say. Ortiz doesn't need your permission.

I see loads of stuff that get plugged, that I couldn't care less about. If I do go on a link that was plugged (which I didn't like or enjoy) I have wasted like 3 minutes of my time. Crying about it just makes you waste more of your own time...

Stop retracting from the work at hand by spouting your own tears all over it.

10 October 2007
It has already been established that Roberto has no personal interest in this short film. It was plugged based on its own merit.

Just reading this thread should be enough to convince you that Roberto was right in doing so. People call for a plug when they think it deserves it, and if it gets plugged it is because they were right. How this is not clear to you is beyond me.

Now please let this discussion get back to Substantia.

Thread Closed share thread