camera track/match to live action

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2005
And here are some screenshots of the rhino model that we will be using to chase after the truck: (The model was done by Scott Spencer. Please visit his site to take a gander @ his awesome sculptures and models. He is really talented! He will soon be in the process of zbrushing a displacement shader and texture map for the rhino.)

-jon

04 April 2005
Realy nice tracking. Cant wait to see the finished piece

04 April 2005
Here is the first dust test. It is getting there. I need to watch more Indiana Jones for reference. I think the dust needs more noise to it. The color is also off.

Dust Test

On a side note: Our rigger almost has the rig done. Tomarrow I will be skinning a low res box version of the rhino to the rig and I will start the previs for the actual animation. Animation on the rhino commences Monday,

-jon

04 April 2005
Previs

Here is the previs on the shot.

Previs Movie Clip

I showed it to our animator and he really liked the gist of the movement. Some things that he is changing in the animation itself is the Rhino will be swinging as soon as it enters the shot to heighten the surprise element. Also, at the end, the Rhino will not come to a full stop but rather will slow then turn and start walking back up the road as the shot ends.

-jon

04 April 2005
goodLuck with the whole project. it's coming out nicely now.
and boy! would i love having a mecha and whole bunch of bots chasing the truck....hehe!
would love to see this finished mate...go for it...

04 April 2005
Cool amazing...- Ian

Wow, vrljc! Can't wait for the finished product!

- Ian

04 April 2005
And here is the first run test that our animator has provided us:

Run Test

More works on the weights are needed, seeing that he has some bad stretching in his rear. More to come!

-jon

05 May 2005
Our animator provided me with this quick clip. I am liking the direction that he is going in. Take a look!

First Animation

Anybody can post questions or comments if they would like!

-jon

Last edited by vrljc : 05 May 2005 at 04:32 AM.

05 May 2005
I really like this project , and I'm new to the whole motion tracking realm. I'm using Max 7 which has a built in motion tracking tool and I've done some simple motion tracking tests with a small digital camera. I work in the architectural field and I really want to impress my bosses with some footage of one of their buildings that's still on the drawing board put into live video. I have a few questions on how to achieve this if you wouldn’t mind me asking.

• How do you mask out objects in the scene, especially if they move across your field of view?
  • How do you remove the markers that you used to establish your motion tracking (those green flags)
I'd really appreciate any help you could offer!

Last edited by DevinJohnston : 05 May 2005 at 03:28 PM.

05 May 2005
It's looking very good. The tracking is spot on. The first render preview of the dust looked a littled fake though. I'd really like to see this with the rhino animated some more.

05 May 2005
Tryton- Good q's: If an object in the live action shot should pass between the camera and the cg object, you will have to roto that object and layer it accordingly in the composite so that it appears in front of the CG object. For example in this case, the truck's tail gate blocks not only the dust but also the rhino itself if it gets to close to the truck. So what I had to do was create a mask object of the truck's bed and tailgate and use that to block those CG elements.
Removing the markers is the tricky part (forunately I dont have to do it ). Our compositor is trying a variety of methods. What he is finding to be the best method so far is that he extracted the markers in post and seperated them into their own channel. Then he sampled a general color from the ground and used that to fill in the space to cover the markers up.

Other methods that he tried was he took the tracking data from Matchmover and tried to do a tracked cloning method, similar to the clone brush that you use in photoshop. Unfortunately because there are so many markers, that logistiically that method would be a nightmare. However, for smaller shots, I would prefer to use that method.

Colintheys- the dust coming off the back of the truck is being a pain. I am getting closer to a better result though. Hopefully I can get a render of the dust sooner in the shot to include it with the animation that we have so far.

-jon

05 May 2005
Today I played around with creating skids, for when the Rhino slides across the ground. Here is a test that I created to set up the general pipeline for the skid:

Skid Test

-jon

05 May 2005
Nice start on the skid, the main thing that bothers me is the way it all smooths out at the end. It kinda ruins the random effect when you end up with a perfect square in the dirt.

I think it looks best just a few frames into the final skid. [about 4.4 seconds] After that the dirt doesn't build up and just smooths off too much...

good luck with this project, it's looking great!

stu

Fluid Pixel Studios

05 May 2005
And here is a skid test with the rhino itself:

Rhino Skid Test

When the animation is cleaned up a bit more with non swimming feet, I can make the particle emissions more exact and the skids will look 10x better.

-jon

05 May 2005
Jon,

MY LORD DUDE!!! This thing is looking so hot! I only found out that you were doing this project with Josh a few days ago. The whole thing just looks awesome man. I'm checking this daily now. Great stuff, which is nothing new coming from the basement!

+ Christian

:Online Portfolio: +Demo Reel+

Thread Closed share thread