My first 3D+video composit

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 04 April 2014   #1
Thumbs up My first 3D+video composit

Hello all,
This is my first time compositing to video.

The only thing I've tried that was somewhat similar is in this thread:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1142936
-But compositing to video was much more of an involved process and an ordeal for sure.

I'm aware at about 0:05-0:06 it looks like it's floating up, and it needs darker ground shadows.
Anything else is appreciated.

Old 04 April 2014   #2
For me, the main thing is the animation. It doesn't feel like it has any weight to it.
If you're not confident with giving the animation weight, I'd recommend taking almost all the animation out. It's just killing the whole thing for me.

But for your first comp on a technical front, it's pretty damn fine. Well done.

Guy

Old 04 April 2014   #3
Thanks for the critique.
I'll try to better execute the illusion of weight in later compositing projects.

Thanks again.

Old 04 April 2014   #4
When the robot is standing on 3 legs, you'd expect it to put its weight on those legs and not have the body hover in the same location as it was prior to the leg lift.

Also, there is barely any shadow which causes the robot to float.

One last thing is that the tracking seems to be off slightly at some points which give the appearance that the robot is swaying over the ground.

But all in all its not a bad job for a first time.

Old 04 April 2014   #5
Hey everyone,
After taking applying feedback, this is the latest result.
-Just a still image though.

Old 04 April 2014   #6
Image embed doesn't seem to have worked. Right click/open in new tab worked, though.

Materials and all look great, textures look very good, and I like the robot design.

Notes:
I think the chromatic aberration is too severe, the effect should be happening on the bg, as well. Right now it's turning into an edge that highlights the robot.
I would expect a little bit of light to be coming up on the underside of the robot. Right now it goes black, with no apparent radiosity effects from the ground.
On further shadow notes, there should probably be a soft dark shadow beneath it, but i'm only observing the occlusion where legs contact ground.

On the note of animation. I could do it for you, if you want. I've animated a fair number of robots and could probably turn around a decent pass at this pretty quick, if you'd like.

Old 04 April 2014   #7
Originally Posted by Roumenov: Materials and all look great, textures look very good, and I like the robot design.

Thanks man.

Originally Posted by Roumenov: 1.
I think the chromatic aberration is too severe, the effect should be happening on the bg, as well. Right now it's turning into an edge that highlights the robot.

I know, I couldn't resist. I'm still very new to compositing and these effects are like candy...or discovering the lens flare effect in photoshop for the first time.

Originally Posted by Roumenov: 2.
I would expect a little bit of light to be coming up on the underside of the robot. Right now it goes black, with no apparent radiosity effects from the ground.

I understand.
When using just the vray light dome/sphere (it was 360 degrees, you can see it here http://www.360cities.net/image/outs...#0.00,0.00,70.0) I captured the floor, so the light did affect the under carriage slightly, but when inserted a ground plane for shadows, it bounced the light back more and brightened the under side of the mech, but I guess it still just wasn't bright enough.

Originally Posted by Roumenov: 3.
On further shadow notes, there should probably be a soft dark shadow beneath it, but i'm only observing the occlusion where legs contact ground.

I understand.
There is in two of the shadow passes, but I think the reason the shadow is barely there is because the hdr environment was shot on an overcast day, so there was no "normal, plain as day" sun to leave any more defined, crisp shadows, and the render emulated this petty well (you can see how soft the shadows are in the photo BG. Yes they're darker, but they're under a mass larger than the mech.)

Originally Posted by Roumenov: On the note of animation. I could do it for you, if you want. I've animated a fair number of robots and could probably turn around a decent pass at this pretty quick, if you'd like.

I can email it to you and let you have fun with it or something, but I am going to ask credit if you publish somehow, and I'm warning you my rigging is sub-par and atrocious, so you'd probably be better off if I give you just an obj file that you can rig yourself.

-Even if you rig, animate, and give it back to me, I won't composite it for a while.
I'm at the point where I'm just sick of looking at it and want to move on.

Old 04 April 2014   #8
Cool, I'll PM you my e-mail. I'll be sure to write your name and attribute the model/textures =D

reply share thread