malcolmvexxed
World's largest midget

portfolio
Stephen Broome Broome
Freelance illustrator and web designer
San Diego, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to malcolmvexxed
2d Short Film: 'Blood Runs Dry'

Thought I'd get going in the IP club so that I felt pressure to actually complete some animation. Webcomics have taken up the last 3-4 years of my "hobby" time and I want a break from that. I'll be tackling this in Flash, which I used to animate webisodes in the early 2000s in a very different style than what I'll be using here.

'Blood Runs Dry' is a short horror/drama film (~10-12 minutes) about two black men in the South in the 1940s. One is the aimless son of a former abolitionist, drifting through town. The other is an impoverished sharecropper at wits end. While hunting for rabbit the sharecropper is hypnotized by a demonic force which consumes him (not a full possession) through his anger and marks him in a way only the other force will be able to see. The other man, while saving a life, is exposed to a calming force instead and lets go of what anger he had. They're drawn beyond explanation towards each other for a confrontation. Very little action, although there is gore in it and weirdness.

Early testing of various styles and proportions

First what I'm going for is akin to this:

Old 06-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
malcolmvexxed
World's largest midget

portfolio
Stephen Broome Broome
Freelance illustrator and web designer
San Diego, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to malcolmvexxed
A few changes, the horror tone of the movie just didn't work with large heads so I switched to go towards more normal proportions and will find other areas to make things cartoony. I've done some work on the first scene where the sharecropper is hunting off his area in a desperate attempt to get some food, and rendered the first bg. I'm using the bg twice and character doesn't appear hunched over as he will in the final render, because I'd really like to focus more on testing various things that I'll be encountering. Overall sepia is giving me the old photograph look I want. Will do some more tweaks tomorrow including figuring out the tone/colors for the main characters so that they feel like a part of the "photographs". Eventually once keyframing is decent I'll go back and fine tune.

http://coalminds.com/animation/hunting.swf

Old 06-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread