CGTalk > WIP > WIP/Critique: Animation
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 06-21-2013, 05:09 AM   #1
the great saiyaman
Motion Graphics Artist
Too clean CG? WIP

I posted a discussion of this and some artists wanted to see what kind of work I am referring to so here is the link.

I am primarily a motion graphics artist but I am starting to play around with some exterior shots and environments but I feel that these are a bit too clean. I have looked around online and came across the production of Archer (the tv show), in which they use brush stroked textures on their 3D work to give it a more painterly vibe. I have also had a friend suggest that I could use some camera projecting techniques to help as well. Anyways, I thought I would post this up and get some feedback on what I can do to help these shots not be too clean if that makes sense. Thanks for any help or tips, I am greatly appreciative!
Old 06-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
The scenes are very basic atm. Its kind of hard to give advice without knowing what look you are shooting for and what you expect from the work you are making. Are you doing this for fun or is it aimed at a specific section of the market?

Just in general there are great terrain editors out there like terragon and vue. You can also get vue to work with 3dsmax in tandem with xtreme. The link below is a pretty basic presentation for multi purpose men's shop I designed meant for China. Its just a rough concept but I used vue and xtreme plus max for it. May give you some ideas.

Have lots of fun
The terminal velocity of individual particles is directly related to pink rabbits on a bank holiday.
Characters, Games, Toys
Old 06-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
United Kingdom
So yeah, the things I said in the 1st thread still stand, especially regarding depth of field - nothing as vast as your environment can be entirely in perfect focus, all the time.

Proper materials (too diffuse, too bland at the moment) and proper lighting are the name of the game. You'd be surprised how much this, along with some decent textures you can find freely all over the Web, can accomplish. That image you're using to light the scene in particular is giving you a hard time, I hope you're seeing that. Regardless of our backgrounds, color theory is critical.

Maybe I'm totally missing the mark here in terms of understanding where you're going with this and where your creative affinities lie, maybe I'm just a sucker for Alex Roman's work, but that's my 2 euro-cents.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
the great saiyaman
Motion Graphics Artist
Thanks for the feedback. It's for a personal project, I am working on learning stuff for environments and things like that. As for what I was aiming for in the scenes was end of the world kinda feel. I removed all of the compositing effects so you could see the 3D in its sequence form with some minimal compositing. It's not for anything realistic. I want to combine 2D characters in the environments. So I want it to be stylized, but I also want it to have depth too.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread