CGTalk > Work in Progress and Critique > WIP/Critique: Animation
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-26-2013, 01:09 AM   #1
olibd
portfolio
Canada

Help with realism of a scene

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum, I'm sorry if I'm not posting in the right section so please feel free to move the thread.

I'm working on a shot from a movie I'm making and I'm having trouble with the realism of it. There's just somethings off about it and just can't figure out what they are. I've worked on this shot for so long that I feel I'm getting "blind". If someone could help me/show me what i could do to make the shot more realistic it would be greatly appreciated. The shot was created in after effects. I've uploaded the shot to youtube so here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQAT...eature=youtu.be

The link is not public so please don't share it.

Thank you !

Old 05-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
thethule
whataguy!
portfolio
Marc Khachfe
3d animator
Zebra Crossing
North London, United Kingdom

The first thing that strikes me is not enough contrast. Your ropes and the clothes on the people are too flat. The ropes are way too light, they look very odd

The camera in the foreground doesn't look like its moving with the background camera. I would smooth it out and remove any "natural" jerkiness.
Slender looks weird that he doesn't move his hands or body when he wakes up and cried out.

Also, where is the shadow going across the left guys face coming from? Makes no sense.

The background looks a bit flat too. Did you use blur it yourself?

Last edited by thethule : 05-28-2013 at 09:07 AM.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:31 AM   #3
olibd
portfolio
Canada

Hey thanks for your help. Your right, the whole picture lacks contrast, but there is no color correction on the picture yet, the background is an untouched still from a shot from my camera (although there's was some gaussian blur to create a lense blur effect). My intention was to correctly blend everything with it before color correcting the whole thing. Although I removed contrast from the characters to better blend them and apart from some "lense blur" the background was untouched.

I worked on the rope as you suggested, I think it's much better, but I'm not sure if I should add even more contrasts.

I removed the jerkiness, but I'm not sure if it looks better. What do you think ?

I also un-blurred the background. How do I determine how much blur to apply to the background based on it's distance from the after effect camera ?

For the shadow across the guys face, it's a mistake that was made while filming him in front of a green screen. I changed where the clip start to a moment were the shadow is less apparent.

Finally, I agree with you that slender's motion isn't really good, I'm currently trying some things with the puppet tool, but I feel it's gonna be hard to work on that since it's a video shot in front of a green screen.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:34 AM   #4
olibd
portfolio
Canada

oops ! forgot the youtube link XD : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJb1...eature=youtu.be

Old 05-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
thethule
whataguy!
portfolio
Marc Khachfe
3d animator
Zebra Crossing

Definitely looks better mate. But a few things:

- Never use Gaussian Blur to simulate depth of field. it is totally different to lens blur/dof and looks shit. So, remove it and use lens blur. Never ever use gaussian or any flat blur for this kind of thing
- The movement def looks better without the jerkiness in my opinion. it COULD look nice with some handheld movement on there, but you need to keep it subtle and also play with it since you are a bit of a novice and getting good camera shakes is tough at first.

-im not sure how you would determine the amount of blur to use, i just go with what looks right/good

-Slenders motion is odd, but you know it could work if the rest of the scene is polished, it could be Slenders oddness that makes him move like this..so, do him last id say

-The smoke in front. Find some stock footage of smoke, you can get free HD ones on youtube and use a youtube downloader to download it. Make sure you get the highest size. Then comp that in front, or just increase what you got there. Its barely visible, but if you had a ncie amount, it would help give the scene some depth.

it looks better mate, keep going

I dont have time to spellcheck, gotta run, sorry

Old 05-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
thethule
whataguy!
portfolio
Marc Khachfe
3d animator
Zebra Crossing

One last thing. Isnt slender supposed to be tall? He doesnt look much taller than them here

Old 05-31-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
zeden
PRO
CDN
3D/Game Design
self
Germany

First blink impression: The DOF effect is too strong. The people look like miniatures.

Second blink: The light of environment and light of people is not consistent. There is a strong light source on the left side of the camera which dominates the lighting of the people but the background would indicate more light coming from the sky above (even a bit from top right)

If you want to render the people contours stronger by adding kicker and rim lights etc. its ok when done properly but your dominating light would still be the sky (saying as just seeing the shot seperated without context) .

Especially the woman seems to be excluded from sky light. The Creature in the middle has light on head and shoulders from above and seems better integrated then the other two.
If you cannot reshoot the actors you could brute force try to mirror the woman so the light for her would be coming from the right...but it would be the emergency solution only I guess.

A second emergency solution would be:
If the scene has no continuity shots you could try to convert to night shot and you probably would get away with the current artificial light with a carefully choosen night plate in the back.

Good luck!

Old 05-31-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread