Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-13-2013, 02:13 AM   #1
EmilyNobbs

portfolio
Emily Nobbs
Canada

Send a message via MSN to EmilyNobbs
Two 11-Second Club animations WIP

One deadline has come and passed, but I want to improve on the animation so I can showcase my work. The other is a very early WIP that is just key animations. I would really appreciate critiques on the mood and emotions, and maybe point me in the right direction for some posing tweaks.

Animation here!

Old 03-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
DJNelson
Veteran

portfolio
David Nelson
3D Character Animator
USA

Hey Emily,

I don't know if you solved the problem or not, but to answer the question in the youtube video; depending on how the rig is set up, you should be able to parent the elbow controller to world space. It is probably set to follow the wrist right now.

- In regards to your poses, I would recommend just going through each and every pose and checking your line of action - on both videos. Since you're playing to a camera, make sure every pose is communicating a nice line of action in silhouette mode.

- On the first video the poses feel a little 'twinned' and static. Maybe try dropping one of the shoulders, or relaxing one of the arms when the other one is stiff. Introduce a little asymmetry. On the second video, the main poses that jump out to me as being awkward are 0:16 and the very last one 0:22. on the 0:16 one, it feels very unnatural. Maybe reduce the amount he's leaning on his hip. It has a very feminine read to it. As well as maybe turn his head towards the dad. it seems a little odd that he'd look over to the side, almost 180 degrees. It makes me wonder what's off screen and kinda pulls me out of it.

- On the 0:22 pose, I would have him lean onto his forward foot. It will make the performance a little bit more dynamic. Because throughout it, he seems like he is keeping his spine straight the entire time. He bends a little bit in the beginning, but I think it would help to have him really lean forward, with his arm extended out when he's saying "she was casual!" at the end. Almost like he's really trying to get the dads attention and drive his point home.

You've got a good start here on both of the pieces. I think with some tweaks to the poses, on the second one especially, it could really shine. I look forward to seeing your next pass!

-DJNelson

Old 03-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread