CGTalk > Work in Progress and Critique > WIP/Critique: Animation
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 12-03-2012, 05:17 AM   #1
astu11
Veteran

portfolio
Asher
Washington DC, USA

Wedding Crashers Animation Crits

Decided to finally post something I've been working on; always thought this scene was great and figured it would be fun to animate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeIYZIl0hJE&feature=plcp

I'm aware of a lot of things that are wrong with it, but I'd like to know what others have to say. My main concern though is that both characters die at the end and I'm having trouble fixing it. Also I'm wondering about the camera movement - is it distracting? I thought it'd be nice to add some movement since it's a bit awkward just staring at those two as they go off.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
YashaP
Know-it-All

portfolio
Yasha Peiros
Melbourne, Australia

Hi Astu11!
This is a great start!
And yes you are correct, the camera moves are a bit distracting. I suggest either having 1 camera the whole time or you could try and cut from one camera position to the next.
You should also try and give the character on the right some different arm/hand poses instead of just the W pose he holds for most of the shot.

Keep up the great work!

Old 01-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
astu11
Veteran

portfolio
Asher
Washington DC, USA

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! I haven't gotten around to fixing this up yet, but I'll get to work on it.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
anna1
Expert

portfolio
Anna Huber
3D Artist
Germany

Hey,

nice work, I think YashaP is right with the camera moves, maybe just do a slight turn around. Then I realised that the fingers are sometimes sinking into the table.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:31 AM   #5
astu11
Veteran

portfolio
Asher
Washington DC, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna1
Hey,

nice work, I think YashaP is right with the camera moves, maybe just do a slight turn around. Then I realised that the fingers are sometimes sinking into the table.

Thanks for the comments - you're right about the fingers. While I'm in IK they're easy to fix but when in FK the hands kind of "float" in place if you know what I mean. I switch from IK to FK for the hands about mid-way through, but I'm considering just doing it all in IK since they lean on the table so much. Any suggestions about this?

Old 01-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
anna1
Expert

portfolio
Anna Huber
3D Artist
Germany

Then you could always switch to IK, when the hands are lying on the table and then switch back to FK, if you prefer using it while they are in the air. Or if you are happy with using IK the whole time, then do it

Old 01-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
ditchmaster
portfolio
Jessica Browm
Huntsville, USA

Haha, this is really fun! I like what you've got so far. Some things you might want to look at:

The character on camera left could use some more asymmetry with the arm gestures. That might include actually changing the right arm pose from the left, or maybe you could try changing the timing so that one arm is leading and the other following, etc.

I love when the guy on camera left does his little pizza dance- you could exaggerate that a LOT more, as it's a part that will definitely make the audience laugh!

One more thing. When they're singing at the end, you might add more movement in the torso. It would add more excitement and make it more believable.

Great job, keep it up!

Old 01-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
mattjmit
Veteran
portfolio
Matt Mitchell
Animator
Animation Mentor
Woking, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to mattjmit
There is a lot of energy and life in this which is great! I think its good that for most of it you are working within the poses, not throwing in loads for no reason, but my problem with it is they both are stuck in the same W pose with their arms all the way through which is kind of over used in animation, I think its a genuine thing people do in real life, but its been all used up by people before us, so it's worth searching for something else, also it's a symmetrical pose, which should also be avoided just for the sake of visual appeal. The only other pose in there, the point pose, is also used by both characters. I can see this is kind of a part of the story, but try to find a way to make it different but genuine. I think if you just act through this yourself and find alternate poses you like, then that will make a huge difference.

don't stop learning.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
astu11
Veteran

portfolio
Asher
Washington DC, USA

Thanks everyone for your awesome suggestions! So I just uploaded my next pass (YouTube made it all grainy for some reason, not sure what causes that to happen). I tweaked some poses, exaggerated others, and made some other subtle changes. I think it's finally coming along. The only thing I noticed after rendering is that the hand placement is still off - I think this is because the camera angle I used to render was different from the ones I've been animating with.

Please let me know your thoughts because you've been really helpful so far!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdBCnn4AkI0

Old 01-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread