Walk cycle WIP (Need feedback)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
Walk cycle WIP (Need feedback)

Hello there CGSociety! I've been working on this walk cycle for a couple of weeks (due to the fact that I'm in the last class of Hogh school and I don't have enough time).
This is my first walk cycle that I try to make. The character model and rig is from the Lynda.com courses. I would like to have some feedback about the animation. Thanks a lot in advance.

The link: Here!!!

10 October 2012
Hi,

I don't have experience with animating walk cylces, but it reminds me of a tutorial I've been looking at 2 months ago with this image in it:

To me it looks like your character has no real "contact" pose, compared to the image above. I'd try to stretch him a bit more when doing the next step?

10 October 2012
Thanks for the tip and the image. I will fix it.

10 October 2012
I watched your walk cycle a couple of times and it looks like a decent walk cycle. Still a bit blocky, but that could be the video player. Something to make it better is to think about what kind of personality this character has and how they would walk. Right now it looks like it could be a background character just walking past the camera. The way they lift their foot and place it down is almost like they're walking with clown shoes. Not making fun, just trying to describe it as best I can, but usually when people walk they just bearly pick up their foot and drag it forward, slightly off the ground. That's why people trip when they're walking and the ground is slightly uneven. But of course can go back to what kind of character this is and how they walk. Hope you can take something from this.

10 October 2012
Hi Mastertsif, nice job its looking good so far. I might try twisting the feet more instead of staying in the same place back to front, it may make it look a little more organic. Depending on the personality I think the legs may be a little too far in front of the torso. If its a vanilla cycle I might try shifting the legs back a little on all positions and see what that looks like. So it almost looks like he is falling over himself as he walks. I agree with what ooLupe said about the toes, toning down the toe roll a little will make it less floppy looking. Nice job on the arm swings they look pretty good.

10 October 2012
hey, just got an newsletter by cmivfx regarding a class on animation in Softimage/Maya. Maybe its interesting for you, maybe not. http://store.cmivfx.com/tutorials/v...Animation+Mixer

10 October 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread