Testing skill short animation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #1
[WIP] "The search" short animation

Hi all.

My name is Bernardo and I am doing this project to test my modeling, texturing, lighting and compositing skills.

Its about a young nomad that travels in a desert environment ,mounted in a fantasy kind of tiger. He then reaches a canyon where you see signs of a ancient civilization. He goes trough this ancient gate and travels to a jungle inside of the canyon, where he sees a small shrine at the distance. Its less than 30 secs length.

Here´s the blocked animatic: https://vimeo.com/47177196

This is a "what you see is what you get" kind of animation because I am not worry about the story. It is animated because I think its more interesting than still images. I know its a weird place, characters and it might not make sense but its for showing off skills above listed

So with all that said I will not be doing concept design, rigging and animation. I will have someone to help me on that.

Am I making any sense?

Stay tuned for more.

See ya

Last edited by asmodai : 09 September 2012 at 09:21 AM.

Old 08 August 2012   #2
Hey hey.

Here are some environment concept art from Alina Constantin (http://alinacanimation.blogspot.dk/):

And character concept art from Sandra Andersen (http://sandranandersen.blogspot.dk/

More coming soon.

See ya

Old 08 August 2012   #3
Hey hey.

Started modeling a couple days ago. Right now the base mesh almost done but its needs details. I am not going to use Zbrush on it.

Let me know what you think about the edge flow. I had a problem with the eyebrow. The way it is, that tri and that 5 point could be a problem when the animation comes? The mount will have some animation, showing life while running or walking.

See ya

Old 08 August 2012   #4
For what i can see, the topology is fine, though i would like to see a facial close-up.

Why you don't use zbrush? Is quite easy to polypaint the details, it will increase your work flow speed

Last edited by DavidFerreira3D : 08 August 2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Didn't end my frase

Old 08 August 2012   #5
Originally Posted by Cultrix: For what i can see, the topology is fine, though i would like to see a facial close-up.

Why you don't use zbrush? Is quite easy to polypaint the details, it will increase your work flow speed

Well the thing is I don´t really know Zbrush that much. It might be more easy but the time that I will spend trying to work with it could compromise the schedule that I´ve set up since I only have till December to make this. But in the near future I will learn how to use it

By the way here´s another update on the modeling. Seems almost done. Just missing the eye and teeth.

Old 08 August 2012   #6
Hey hey.

I think I can say "I finished modeling the mount".

Tell me what you think.

The next step is modeling the rider ^^

See ya

Last edited by asmodai : 08 August 2012 at 08:03 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #7
Hey hey,

Started the rider today. One thing I need to refer. Since I have limited time, the human character will have his mouth covered ( hence no mouth will be modeled) and his hears are going to be covered as well ( still not sure about how will they end up).

Any crits are welcome.

See ya soon

Old 08 August 2012   #8
Hey hey

Continuing the rider. The base mesh is done, for the next stage, clothes. He has gloves instead of hands.

Any crits are welcome.

See ya

Old 09 September 2012   #9
Hey hey,

Well jumped a little to sculpt. Doing some desert mountains ^^ Tell me what you think.

Anyway I wanted to know why going to Maya the displacement give weird artifacts. Any ideas about that?

Old 09 September 2012   #10
Heya Bernardo,

Check the Texture in photoshop, those areas might me White color in the texture and may cause that artifact, can u show the texture?

Old 09 September 2012   #11
Originally Posted by Cultrix: Heya Bernardo,

Check the Texture in photoshop, those areas might me White color in the texture and may cause that artifact, can u show the texture?

Heres the displacement map

Old 09 September 2012   #12
You know Bernardo,

Whenever I've used displacements, I've hid my seems where I don't have texture detail,cuz it has always been a headache-- it depends on where and how you're UVs are projected. Try cutting your UV edges on the rear of your object before importing your mesh into your sculpting program; when you then export the map those edges won't interfere; just a workflow option.

Old 09 September 2012   #13
Originally Posted by Narntson: You know Bernardo,

Whenever I've used displacements, I've hid my seems where I don't have texture detail,cuz it has always been a headache-- it depends on where and how you're UVs are projected. Try cutting your UV edges on the rear of your object before importing your mesh into your sculpting program; when you then export the map those edges won't interfere; just a workflow option.

I really want to make the hole objects but thanks for the tip.

Update on a armor that the character has (Zbrush render). By the way its a leather armor.

By the way anyone knows how to move a hole threat to another place?

See you

Old 09 September 2012   #14
Hole threat? whats that?

Old 09 September 2012   #15
I think Bernado wants to move the thread to another part of the CG forum.

Thread Closed share thread