Takedown animation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #1
Takedown animation

Here's something I've been working on, just wanted to get some fresh eyes on this to see if I am missing something. I'm plan on adding some anticipation right before the black character ducks under the punch. All comments are welcome

(it goes back into stepped mode at frame 40, which is the reason it's not as smooth and the legs/feet have a slight twitch in them)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5281158/com...down_spline.mov

Steven Miller - 3D Character Animator

Old 08 August 2012   #2
Hi Steve!
Your shot looks really interesting and your blocking looks great. But two things that stuck out to me in regards to your shot are:
One, I feel like the black guy would re-act quicker at the start rather than waiting for the white guy to pull his arm all the way back and then punch all the way forward, I feel like the black guy would be trained enough to re act to even the smallest of movements and be able to anticipate what the other guy is going to do.
Two: what is the black guy doing around f28? it feels like he is anticipating a punch and then goes and tackles the guy. Maybe you should re think that move or cut it out.

Havign said that, I really like the first 10 frames, the actions look really natural and fluid.

Keep up the great work.

-Yasha

Old 08 August 2012   #3
Hey Yasha,

Thanks so much for looking at my work again, and thanks for your comments. Around frame 28 I have the black character anticipate a takedown after he dodges the punch, maybe if I don't have the character rise so high after the punch it wil read a lot better. I will give it a try and see what it looks like, if there is still the problem I'll take it out and have the black character attack the mid section of the beige character right away. I will also work on the timing of the reaction from the black character to make him a stronger fighter.

Im glad you like the first frames of the shot, I was hoping that it worked for the characters

Steven Miller

Old 09 September 2012   #4
like where its going..

I've been doing martial arts for 20+ years now and a takedown is like a defence & attack simultaneously. Its taught to go forward as the person punches intercepting the attacker.

As that punch comes in the guy should drop, move forward and take the guys legs from him. As a result that puncher would almost fly forward as his legs are taken from under him as he's at the most commital point of his punch. From there the guy takedown guy barely has to make effort to lift him instead clamping round his legs and usually dropping him to the floor at one side or the other. Watch some mma clips and you'll see how 'lazy' it is and how effortless it happens for them. Before the puncher has time to react he's on the deck getting elbows rained down on him.

hope it helps.. i like alot of the poses you've done but it feels very much like white guy punch happens.. black guy dodges.. black guy steps away (?) THEN moves in (while white guy waits)... black guy takes him on his shoulders... holds him there for a moment while white guy sort of hangs... then big WWE body slam.

In actually fact it shoud be:

-white guy punches
-black guy drops a knee and moves in with the takedown
-white guys legs are taken from under him just as he reaches the most commital point of the punch
-black guy lifts and drops white guy to one side. Up to you how white guy lands (on back or front) but ensure he's wrestling to not fall as he's taken down... this often defines how the person lands (front or back).

from there worlds your oyster

also some pre-takedown jabs between the two would be cool instead of the Street Fighter 2 idles they have.

loving it tho... most of the poses are there for you

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Thanks for taking a look at and critiquing my work Anthony.

I always liked the idea of body slamming the character, but this is the second time it was mentioned I should make it more MMA style and go for the quick take-down. So this is definitely something I will work at. Same thing with the anticipation after the punch, seems like that is something to get rid of all together.

I like the idea of having a couple of jabs at first before the big punch. I'm thinking I'm going to make a second version with the info you have given me, with the advice is sounds like it would be more interesting. Hopefully I can implement the changes quickly and get it up here to make sure it's going in the right direction.

I really like your Tron clip that you made, especially the quad cycle idea

Old 09 September 2012   #6
yeah i think you have the opportunity to make something thats quite nice in terms of animation but at the same time faithful to how an mma situation might turn out here. There's no showboating.. its just slam the guy on the deck... then ground and pound. Its scrappy, violent, fast and vicious till the other person stops moving or taps out!

cheers - glad you liked my daft punk project!

Old 09 September 2012   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread