Mouse walk cycle practice

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2012
Mouse walk cycle practice

Walk Cycle of my character

Critique please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwNU...=1&feature=plcp

07 July 2012
Hey Pointyman!
The character is really cool!
The walk still needs a bit of work. First of all there is very little up and down movement on the hips and there is almost no side to side motion when he steps.
When the legs are fully back, the bum seems to break.
The feet seem to do something strange when they go from being bent at the pushing position to the passing position.
The knees seem to pop when they get to the extended forward position, you could probably get rid of that pop by not having the legs extend to 100% but maybe only go to 95% or something like that.
Also add some movement to the shoulders.
I don't know if its because you didn't sync up the first and last frame but there is a bit of a pop in the head.

Hope that helps. Let me know if any of that didn't make sense
-Yasha

07 July 2012
Yeah I agree I was just going to say rotate the hips and shoulders on y axis to carry thru the legs and arms. Oh yeah and bounce his head and his ears. Very cool so far...

Last edited by Narntson : 07 July 2012 at 04:00 AM.

07 July 2012
Thanks guys! I'm still tweaking the rig weights.

I think I know what you mean, but I might have to look at other walk cycles just to be sure. And bummer to the shoulders, I think I forgot to add a control to control shoulder rotation only.

08 August 2012
It's a nice character and a really good start.

I agree with the other guys here: The main thing need to look at is getting more movement in the spine, shoulders and hips. Check this tutorial out, and specifically concentrate on the bit where he talks about "imaginary cylinders", as that might help you visualize what people mean. It can be a bit tricky to get right because it needs to be subtle, but if you work at it, it'll definitely make your animation look more natural.

Another few small points...

As was suggested before, you should bounce the head a little more. This post is fantastic if you want to get into the real details of follow-through along the spine and into the head.

You need a little more follow-through/drag in the hands and fingers. At the moment they seem a bit rigid.

The feet are a little bit stampy. Remember the toes can follow through too, just like the hands and fingers, and on a character like this with big toes it'll add a fair bit. You also don't have to keep the feet perfectly straight, even if it's a straight path that the character is walking along. If you actually get up and walk around naturally, looking at your feet, you'll see that when the feet contact they're actually pointing a little out to the side.

Finally, I agree with the others about the leg straightening out too much when it goes back. It should never be 100% at it's limit as computer animation tends to produce a popping as it goes in and out of it's full extent, but besides that, when the foot goes back the straightest it should be is at the "high point" or "up" position, then the heel should start to come up and make the leg start to curve by the time you're at the "contact" position.

That might seem like a lot of feedback but honestly, your animation is definitely is a good start, so keep it up.

08 August 2012
Thanks for the links! Those are perfect!

08 August 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread