https://vimeo.com/45108397

Old 07-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #32
anthonymcgrath
Expert

portfolio
anthony mcgrath
United Kingdom

great stuff! commented on your vimeo page

just finishing up the animation on this final shot myself ...tidying and tweaking keyframes but its about there & looking okay.

Then its onto:

destruction & damage to the car & road... ripping up the road where his feet intersect and he skids to a stop.

add some shader damage to iron man (scuffs & marks etc).

shader damage & deformation to the car and panels

explosion (fluids)

dust and smoke and dust impacts

debris and smashed glass and ruptured fragments of metal etc.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #33
astroboii
eddski
portfolio
Eddie Chew
Senior Animator
Image Engine
Vancouver, Canada

Cheers for the comment!

Man your goin all out! Cant wait to see it!

Old 07-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #34
anthonymcgrath
Expert

portfolio
anthony mcgrath
United Kingdom

Yeah im having fun doing it and after my tron legacy anim I've learnt heaps off that so this is coming together faster. just rendering half res frames for the final shot at the min..

Old 07-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #35
anthonymcgrath
Expert

portfolio
anthony mcgrath
United Kingdom

another quick test render and composite - nothing magical... beauty, occlusion, fog and sky.
added some glow, colour grading and lens effects n bloom with afx..

this is another still from my final shot.. I've been working fairly hard getting the animation together on it.. pushing the character animation, slicking up the camera move and the car too. Also been adding debris and destruction too.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #36
Solomon
wisdom seeker

portfolio
Solomon W. Jagwe
3D Artist/Animator
Alexandria, USA

Send a message via ICQ to Solomon Send a message via AIM to Solomon Send a message via MSN to Solomon
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymcgrath
another quick test render and composite - nothing magical... beauty, occlusion, fog and sky.
added some glow, colour grading and lens effects n bloom with afx..

this is another still from my final shot.. I've been working fairly hard getting the animation together on it.. pushing the character animation, slicking up the camera move and the car too. Also been adding debris and destruction too.

what render engine are you using?

Solomon W. Jagwe
Soreel GraFX
http://www.sowl.com

Old 07-08-2012, 04:26 AM   #37
anthonymcgrath
Expert

portfolio
anthony mcgrath
United Kingdom

Mental ray why?

Old 07-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #38
Solomon
wisdom seeker

portfolio
Solomon W. Jagwe
3D Artist/Animator
Alexandria, USA

Send a message via ICQ to Solomon Send a message via AIM to Solomon Send a message via MSN to Solomon
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymcgrath
Mental ray why?

the quality has that FinalRender look to it, so I was wondering if you had used that instead of Mental ray

Solomon W. Jagwe
Soreel GraFX
http://www.sowl.com

Old 08-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #39
anthonymcgrath
Expert

portfolio
anthony mcgrath
United Kingdom

couple of playblast animations of the close up of hands and feet..

hands...
http://youtu.be/rdQk6fIw-Tk

feet...
http://youtu.be/2UxbBFeoQJA

quick test render of the hands... still lots of work to do but its on its way...

Old 08-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #40
Narntson
Expert

portfolio
Noah Arntson
Glendale, United%2BStates

Your workflow seems very sophisticated. How are you handling the numerous plates and elements, comping them together to see what shot needs fx or is every shot planned for in specific? Fun to watch the progress.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #41
anthonymcgrath
Expert

portfolio
anthony mcgrath
United Kingdom

the workflow really has grown from the animatic. That defined the high level idea and whether my chosen camera angles would allow me to sell the idea of an in-car-suit-deployment sequence (ICSD system... i should sell that acronym to the car manufacturers lol!) at a basic level.

The animation workflow for this deploy sequence is literally shot for shot. I'm just working detail in for each close up shot for the arms and feet etc. My rule is to stay as close as possible to the animatic sequence in terms of time-per-shot as i know this works in the animatic.

Once i know those work and are all animated i can go in further and perform some super close up macro shots much like the mk3 suit deploy sequence in the first iron man movie. The sequence in the movie is very nice, but the MACRO close-up shots where you can see bolts wind up and little linkatures connect then 'pull' the panels together are the bits where people look and go 'ooooooohhh'.
I'm in the process of working more detail in so i can get VERY close to linkature bits as they interlock.

My ironman character is referenced in and can be swapped out to the human character. However this character isn't really usable in full view because the ironman character is 8 heads tall so the human character looks gangly and proportionally incorrect compared to the iron man model. Watch the movies then note starks proportions to the iron man model - he's much shorter and his shoulders are nothing like the iron man model proportions... its all clever shots and smoke and mirrors exactly what i'm doing here heh!

in terms of handling the IM plates they are literally hand keyframed. Most of the detail elements are just parented under and keyframed to do their own thing too. Its all in the timing.. for example getting those hands in then closing up the internal detail meshes around the arm followed by the metal panels. Some bits are literally keyframed frame for frame!

rendering-wise the only things i'm doing are master/beauty, occlusion and luminance. I then comp them up with some lens flare elements, depth of field, colour tweaking and bloom. Final render layers will involve matte channels and specular passes + bent normal passes so i can adjust lighting in composite. Might see if i can employ some indirect Final Gather too in the scene.

hope your enjoying the project! more to come!

ant
waffler

Old 08-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #42
anthonymcgrath
Expert

portfolio
anthony mcgrath
United Kingdom

btw if you r.click on each image i've uploaded and view image you should see it bigger than cgtalk displays it?

Old 08-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #43
anthonymcgrath
Expert

portfolio
anthony mcgrath
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon
the quality has that FinalRender look to it, so I was wondering if you had used that instead of Mental ray

What's finalremder then? Is it good?

Old 08-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #44
astroboii
eddski
portfolio
Eddie Chew
Senior Animator
Image Engine
Vancouver, Canada

love the animation man! This is coming along very nicely.........I just imagine the cool sound effects when its all clicking and forming into place hehe...nice work mate!

Old 08-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #45
anthonymcgrath
Expert

portfolio
anthony mcgrath
United Kingdom

thanks! Still lots to go but the 'tough' stuff is working quite well. I just need to get the tee shirt on the character altho was thinking thin sweater with sleeves rolled up as thats very Tony Stark heh.

ironically i'll probably have a nightmare when it comes to animating a vehicle driving left to right tho if maya has any say in it! :/

I'm still trying to lean on the guy who did the audio for my Daft Legacy animation (just dig it out on youtube!) ...he did a sterling job of all the sfx on that so would be nice if i can get him on this too!

Thread Closed share thread