my ironman project

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2012   #16
To the 2 guys who emailed me no Im not working on iron man 3 lol! Its not that good!

Couple of hours spent yday working on last shot. made it more frantic and made iron man tumble a bit more along with the car too. playblast to come later. i really want this last shot to look good as its the reveal shot.

I've had a few ppl ask "oh why doesn't the helmet close in the car?"... i did try that but the second that helmet closes you know he's safe and secure.. the big clank of the faceplate and eyes light up signify "i mean business" and when it happened in the car i felt "ah doesn't matter what happens now.. he's safe" ..also the beats are nice... Big explosion.. barrel out of car.. skid to a stop.. turn to cam.. faceplate.. eyes.. blast off. its kinda like a typical stark prototype... 98% of the way there but can be fine tuned to be a bit quicker lol! might even have a slight voiceover "not bad" heh

Last edited by anthonymcgrath : 06 June 2012 at 07:38 AM.

Old 06 June 2012   #17
hey all... just a quick update - been working on the final shot again. Still lots of work to do on it but its kinda in a better direction...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAcOESHKw94&feature=plcp

Old 06 June 2012   #18
Originally Posted by anthonymcgrath: hey all... just a quick update - been working on the final shot again. Still lots of work to do on it but its kinda in a better direction...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAcOESHKw94&feature=plcp

nice!! dynamic camera movement, looking forward to seeing the rendered version.

Solomon W. Jagwe
Soreel GraFX
http://www.sowl.com

Old 06 June 2012   #19
Thanks. Im still trying to tidy up the animation and add more impact (prob another roll after the bit on the knees) and the bit where he slides to a halt Will read better once i have ripped up debris on the road around his feet.
Also working on fluid explosions at the moment using fuel and temp and buoyancy.. not easy to get right as i can't seem to get it to explode quickly enough really but with a few of them bundled together.. some dust and some particle debris it should work well.

Next version should feature more detail all over

Old 06 June 2012   #20
Originally Posted by anthonymcgrath: Thanks. Im still trying to tidy up the animation and add more impact (prob another roll after the bit on the knees) and the bit where he slides to a halt Will read better once i have ripped up debris on the road around his feet.
Also working on fluid explosions at the moment using fuel and temp and buoyancy.. not easy to get right as i can't seem to get it to explode quickly enough really but with a few of them bundled together.. some dust and some particle debris it should work well.

Next version should feature more detail all over

what are you using for the FX?

Solomon W. Jagwe
Soreel GraFX

Old 06 June 2012   #21
Fluids and particles in maya. after fx for further debris and dust plates, motion blur, dof, lens flares and artifacts

Old 06 June 2012   #22
Quick test composite of a frame. still issues with occlusion and transparency and i need to add scratches and battered carbon fibre panels along with a proper environment but its not bad for 2 hours render n comp heh..

Last edited by anthonymcgrath : 06 June 2012 at 10:41 PM.

Old 07 July 2012   #23
mate thats look awesome! The walk is weighty so very nice! The animatic is tight and action packed.....its gonna look great!

I actually just created an iron man wip thread too and noticed yours-
http://eddski-resume.blogspot.ca/

Keep up the nice work mate!

Old 07 July 2012   #24
@astroboii

thanks mate - yeah alot of work to go on it but its slowly getting there. Alot of work that is tackled in this final shot of him exiting the car is usable in other shots so i'm focusing my work there and working backwards.

loving the stills of your animation - is there a viewable movie anywhere?

forgot to add this - did a bit of colour grading basing it on some scenes from black hawk down. Its maybe pushed a bit too much and some orange coming back would be nice but i think it kinda works especially once the grit n grime and lens spots n grime etc are all in there...

Last edited by anthonymcgrath : 07 July 2012 at 09:30 AM.

Old 07 July 2012   #25
Thanks man! Im actually almost done...will finish the animation i t hink in a few days....I ll let ya know what its uploaded if you want...

I like your new grade.....but I also liked your old colours....you should find an inbetween heh but of course its up to you....

Tony stark suiting up in the car is gonna look epic....

Old 07 July 2012   #26
yeah the colour grading will more than likely fall somewhere between the two. The 2nd image is literally a direct colour grade analysis and transfer from the bhd posters heh.

looking forward to seeing your piece - there's some nice subtleties in there with the diffuse glows through the smog & dust. Keep me informed! I'll be sure to update this thread with tests and renders as it progresses but time is limited for me so it's probably gonna be slow and they'll more than likely beat me to it in Iron Man 3 lol!

ant

Old 07 July 2012   #27
yeah thanks man! I used alot of layers !

You should focus on getting one shot to final.....theyll hire you for sure on IM3..! Im also aiming to get onto the gig hah

Good luck mate!

Old 07 July 2012   #28
hahahaha i dont think they're on here trawling for talent - way too busy i imagine working on some insane sequence.

Thats what i love about the iron man films - they've established that Stark can build the suits effortlessly now... the big kick is seeing how he deploys them. Thats why i wanted to do this sequence because i thought i'd be cool and technically challenging for me to show the suit deploying in the car. Watching back things like the suitcase sequence from Iron Man 2 you can see how they've carefully chosen shots and angles to sell the whole idea but at the same time prevented building a rod for their back with it all. Thats why i went with my animatic to start with because it would tell me if the higher level concept works with the shots i had in my head without having to show every nut n bolt being zipped up.

As for final shot yeah i am working up the final shot at the moment but the interior shots are a different kettle of fish really but with the right levels of detail in animation and compositing and keeping the camera angles exciting yet active (bourne handheld camera) yet still clear whats happening it should work a treat!

cheers
ant
waffler!

Old 07 July 2012   #29
looking great man nice color grading. Love the difuse lighting

Solomon W. Jagwe
Soreel GraFX

Old 07 July 2012   #30
I think some of that has to do with the fact im using NL lighting workflow so getting a much greater range of shades to play with esp in comping. Rendering a wip of this shot at moment.. no floor damage but definitely gives you an idea

Thread Closed share thread