"Toadroots" - Short Film WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 02 February 2014   #31
looking cool dude

Are you using a target camera in the second shot? There is a nasty swing in there, otherwise it's really coming together.

Old 02 February 2014   #32
I assume you mean the camera shake. Yes, something to consider. The BG plate is keyframed on head/tail of shot and makes it look jarring... There's a bunch of jolted/imperfect cam moves - I don't prefer perfect cg curves. Being that it bothers a few and brings away attention; it may be about finding a fine line; but that will be in the eye of the beholder.

Old 03 March 2014   #33
Here's a line of dialogue from the scene. Voice work by the amazing voice actor, Adam Behr.

Old 03 March 2014   #34
This is/was a speak-heavy movie. I'm now done with animating most of the talking. But I still have a few action shots though. Don't know how I feel about that. Animating the acting was totally fun.

Old 05 May 2014   #35
On my last setup of the film, I can hardly believe it. I want to feel comfortable with the entire flow before I look for music. Yes, that's my next challenge--to lock picture and find a composer.

Old 05 May 2014   #36

Old 05 May 2014   #37
Hey

You post in WIP, so I want to give some feedback.
Although, you have come far already, so this might not be something you want to go in and fix.

To me, the biggest issue is the animation.
Its just... movement. Not emotion. I don't see an emotion of any of the characters, and their movements are all over the place. They don't seem connected.
You want to breath life into them.
Did you shoot reference for each shot? Or did you plan them somehow? Via thumbnails and stuff like that?

It looks a bit like you just went in and animated, without a clear idea of how they felt, why they felt that way, and would be the best way to show this emotion.

Respect for doing this much work. It takes a lot of self dicipline, but animation wise, there is still a lot of work left for you.

Old 05 May 2014   #38

A rendered frame of the witch's obscene face. I could make a good promotional poster or flyer, what'dya think?

Old 05 May 2014   #39
@ Doffer: Thanks for your critique. Producing the project over the span of months to years is complicated. So my challenge, then, was to yield consistent results from rigs and setups I did long before I improved a bit on my skill level. I refined my ideas and progressed further as I went along. Thus, some shots in my opinion do shine brighter than others. Just haven't posted it all yet .

Cheers to your Porcelain short, it was really cool.

Old 05 May 2014   #40

Household object. I noticed a cohesive form -- served as inspiration for one of my shots.

Old 07 July 2014   #41
Hello there old CGTalk friends,

My latest news is that I've recently locked my picture and finished critical animation. Consequently, a full fledged film composer was key to add dramatic depth to my otherwise silly-dark cartoon. I've worked recently with him and his name is Kristian Sensini. He works out of Italy and is eager to work with any members who are in need of original film score. I highly recommend you check out his website at scorekomposer.com

Also check out this guys soundcloud with his samples. He has a multitude of styles and samples to hear!

https://soundcloud.com/kristiansensini

Old 11 November 2014   #42

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know this project is complete! I will post its web release after I find out what's going on with a few film festival entries. Because I was at the tail end of the IP incubator club, I thought I'd just post updates here.

I worked here and there for the last couple months on this poster. I guess work is never truly done on something if you don't want it to be! I'm looking forward to sharing the animation with everyone following this thread, or just clicking through, once I post it online.

I also quickly made a website to promote this thing further if I have to. I'll let you know when that portion is up and running.

Cheers,
Noah

Old 11 November 2014   #43
congratulations, look forward to seeing it

Old 11 November 2014   #44
@Cameron
Thanks! I'll be posting it soon as I can!

Old 11 November 2014   #45
Recently I've been studying javascript coding and learned it is an endevour all to its own. Html tutorials helped me a bit to create the film's offical website, so far so good, I got a way for external social media! The website is basically the title of the film, and I guess I'll slap that puppy in my signature.

reply share thread