Old 08-28-2012, 08:55 AM   #16
asmodai
Veteran

portfolio
Bernardo Bordeira
3D Modeler
Viborg, Denmark

Hey hey,

You have an interesting idea and nice style, although the lighting needs more work. I know you want to go for a noir thing, but the lighting makes the characters flat, in a sense that the rim is not well achieved a there seem to be no bouncing light, hence the shadow area are reallly dark.

Keep up the good work

Old 08-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #17
Narntson
Expert

portfolio
Noah Arntson
Glendale, United%2BStates

Thanks Asmodai,

I value your observation -- thanks for taking the time. In regards to the lighting; Still trying to tune in the fill light's exposure, where it falls off subtley but not too overexposed for computer monitors, screens, etc.

Something to keep my eye on when I do final renders, cheers man!

Old 09-05-2012, 04:51 AM   #18
Narntson
Expert

portfolio
Noah Arntson

Here are some hunchback skins I made years ago that I am now using for this project; Tried different tests on the mental ray SSS shader.
I decided to opt for more deep crevasses and grooves over scattering, because I wanted ultra deep skin folds when viewed from a few feet away... I made a cavity map and plugged it into the diffuse slot that will ride along with the subdivision approximation and driven displacement mapping.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #19
asmodai
Veteran

portfolio
Bernardo Bordeira
3D Modeler
Viborg, Denmark

Looks good but I think the dots of the crevasses shouldn´t be black. The color doesn´t seem natural.

Keep up the good work

Old 09-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #20
Narntson
Expert

portfolio
Noah Arntson

Hunchback from Medium Wide view. To see how everything comes together from afar.

Also here is a video clip test of the mouth open. Can't figure out a way to embed it on here at the moment : noaharntson.com/D_Open3.avi

Old 09-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #21
asmodai
Veteran

portfolio
Bernardo Bordeira
3D Modeler
Viborg, Denmark

Hey hey.

Looks better. Now they are more skin toned ^^ Can you put more views of the character? Its weird seeing in this position especially with those hands. Sorry.

You should give more tones to the skin specially around the eye, mouth, hair and beard zones. It looks the same everywhere.

Whats the texture resolution in his clothes? Looks a bit fuzzy

Keep it up

Old 09-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #22
Narntson
Expert

portfolio
Noah Arntson

I know, the hands seem dead huh? Great observation asmodai: the coloring amidst those hair zones could be mixed up a bit... especially for a final still in some gallery...and to be thought of while trying to get some animation and shots done. I am hoping the final lighting and shadow will shift that out better. Meanwhile how do I embed a video on here besides linking a text?

Open Blend shape

Smirk Blendshape

Old 09-24-2012, 06:16 AM   #23
Narntson
Expert

portfolio
Noah Arntson

Creating the Hag

Witches are freaky, they come in all shapes and sizes. People recognize the archetype but I wanted to personalize the well known icon.

The aim was to make her a bit spooky, by giving her a protuberance of a nose and slimy skin but also make her friendly too--especially when she speaks to the other characters.

Steps/how to:

1. Some sculpting of magical mud (make sure its extra witchy)
  2. Misss shader
  3. Subdivision approximation - coexisting with displacement map
  4. Blendshapes connected to their respected bump maps
  5. Some pagan branches
  6. Some quail feathers

And here are the maps I used to set up my shader. I played with the weights and radii to achieve the subtle green/purpley hue around her eyes and lips.
(please click on the above thumbs to see enlarged views, it was work to resize everything in PS than to figure out how to resize images to their linked originals, hrmmm...)

Old 10-21-2012, 04:51 AM   #24
Narntson
Expert

portfolio
Noah Arntson

Shamba the Witch

I thought I would throw on a couple renders from the 1st interior shot of the film. I was intent on making sure the fire and brimstone was glowing on the witch's body... For the flames, I'll be using nCloth to animate them moving.

Time is right for Halloween, here is some more flavor for your soup. Let me know how it tastes --

Old 11-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #25
l3ear

portfolio
Nicole Wingfield Miller
2to3d.net
howe, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narntson

2. Shamba - The Witch

I love your witches! These images are my favorites. I love the Shamba witch and I think it is just a really cool painting and character. The 3D scene is very nice and I like the witch and models, the fire and her skirt texture have a stop motion scene feel that I think is nice and very stylized. That said the lighting in the 3d scene needs some work. There are no shadows under the furniture or the character. The gradients on the back wall look nice but the spotlight on her shoulder looks too close and too bright. Also the shadow on her skirt seems out of place for where she is next to the fire.

I like your work, and thank you for sharing!

Old 11-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #26
Narntson
Expert

portfolio
Noah Arntson

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ear
I love your witches! These images are my favorites. I love the Shamba witch and I think it is just a really cool painting and character. The 3D scene is very nice and I like the witch and models, the fire and her skirt texture have a stop motion scene feel that I think is nice and very stylized. That said the lighting in the 3d scene needs some work. There are no shadows under the furniture or the character. The gradients on the back wall look nice but the spotlight on her shoulder looks too close and too bright. Also the shadow on her skirt seems out of place for where she is next to the fire.

I like your work, and thank you for sharing!

Wow! Thank you!! It's amazing when you look at something for so long and close, you don't see obvious things like a shadow missing. This is a part of a wider shot and I will fly in a table there to mask a portion of that chair. But I will remember what you said and remember shadow passes for each character near the floor, etc. Thanks for your lighting points too.

Glad you like the witch. She is a fun aspect to the film and brings a unique dynamic to the story. I hope to show more animation of her, when my schedule allows. Now--onto more scene set ups.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:11 AM   #27
Narntson
Expert

portfolio
Noah Arntson

Holy smoke I'm back. I know it's been MANY months since I posted, but I'm still at it. This project is still happening! Sporadically, with each spare moment in the past, I have been constructing shots, troubleshooting renders, pulling out my hair and smiling at some progress...

I have some fully rendered sequences, and animation-wise I'm honestly at least 85% done.

(Honest side note)
The philosophy I have came up during my project is this-- Making a cg short is like building a house from scratch-- I'm my own architect [I make the blueprints], contractor, laborer [inversely I get physically weaker due to lack of exercise], landscaper, & realtor.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:26 AM   #28
magilla
guerilla

portfolio
Cameron Crichton
Director
SubZero Media Productions
Australia

perseverance man - hang in there and keep at it.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:52 AM   #29
Narntson
Expert

portfolio
Noah Arntson

Thanks Magilla, tryin'.

Finally, I have some character renders of the "Human Pincushion". To describe, he has been pricked and pierced with so much metal, he is almost bio-mechanic:

Old 02-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #30
Narntson
Expert

portfolio
Noah Arntson

1st Sequence

Now an intro to the opening! The rough playblasts were put together to show more or less the route it's now going. Hopefully to be driven by a musical tempo. More to come as I shape the edit.

reply share thread