yup another transformer, but this is mine!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2012
yup another transformer project, but this is mine!

Hi there!

I`m working on my neverending transformer again and this time I worked a bit faster..
I animated a previz transformation for my senseo decepticon.
I wonder what you guys think of it.
Feedback is welcome.
The animation can be seen at:

www.reynhout.nl

or http://3danimationandvisualeffects.blogspot.com/

UPDATE 4: added the last renders for my light setup in the first post aswel.

Last edited by reinier1980 : 10 October 2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: update on project v1.1

01 January 2012
fantastic work and interesting design, is this a project just for fun or to be used for something larger?

01 January 2012
this is really nice. I did a transformer project some time ago - never got time to get the rendering up to scratch really but was fairly happy with the overall sequence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx3z...Kp4QaJl--fiHTVG

i did a making-of video here too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBXTBrudcko&feature=plcp&context=C3d6156fUDOEgsToPDskKH_ebh8BhuLTAxcaiZg9b5

as a little thing i would say that it would have been nice if you could see one foot down on the ground about a second earlier as he spins... almost like he's pivoting on that foot as the rest of him transforms. The circular saw on his arm would have looked cooler if it kinda unfolded a piece at a time (watch the first transformers for ironhides arm cannon) and another little thing that works is make a few of the smaller components perform little shifts into place after the majority of the animation has finished.
just some comments that may enhance it - overall its superb mate ...decepticon cappucino maker lol

01 January 2012
thnx, its a personal project with the aim to put everything that I want to control in 3d in it.
Currently I'm working on the animatic but its almost done.
Atm its 1 minute and 20 seconds action packed cgi.
In the beginning I wanted it to composite in real footage but because of the limitations I decided to go complete 3d.

You are right about the transformation. This is a nice start but far from final..
I agree about the blades. This was done really fast for preview purposes.
I'll check your links when I'm home. Don't want to check it on my mobile, it deserves hihgres screens!

Thnx for the input.
C.ya

01 January 2012
Hi anthony mcgrath,

I think your animation is pretty cool. I think you should make a new one in Live action footage!
The making of link was the same one. So I`m curious how your approach was.
Great job.

01 January 2012
hey cool animation, perhaps you could have him stop and look at the camera for a few more seconds then he suddenly torches the viewer as if to say "what you looking at"?...even though the quality is really high I feel it is too quick for me to see what is going on...or perhaps a 180 matrix camera freeze?

Doing a transformer must be loads of fun well done

Cheers
Lazius

01 January 2012
Originally Posted by reinier1980: Hi anthony mcgrath,

I think your animation is pretty cool. I think you should make a new one in Live action footage!
The making of link was the same one. So I`m curious how your approach was.
Great job.

try this one mate - that should be the making-of video..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBXT...n_order&list=UL

i did originally want to put it into live action footage but never really got the time so i just rendered it into a basic env and did it that way. At some point down the line i might do but am on with other projects at the moment

01 January 2012
yeah cool, that one worked fine!
Nice job with the transformation. Seems to be very animate friendly.

Now I`m doing the explosions from my kitchen wall tiles. Going very fast and promising.
After this I start with the fluid effects.
The animatic is done so soon I start with the final animation.

Hope this will come to an end fast.
Will share some progress this week.

01 January 2012
animatic stills

Hi guys,

Here some environment stills. In some you can see the animatic figure.
It`s going well!

01 January 2012
cooool - was just looking at this thread a moment back thinking 'awww-www... no updates' lol!

nice work!

01 January 2012
tips to improve needed!

Working hard on the scene, but I find it difficult to nail the feeling..
I will add way more detail but this is what I have atm.
Please give me some hard and honest feedback, I need it.

Last edited by reinier1980 : 01 January 2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: type error

01 January 2012
higher resolution still would help mate and a few angles too possibly.

overall i quite like it.. the shaders and wotnot look nice. I think the problem is the scene feels very enclosed and thats possibly because your thinking about the scene in transformers2 when all the kitchen equipment comes alive... that scene is quite well lit as its prime time afternoon or late morning so its much brighter and more colourful as a result whereas this shot feels very closet-like. Maybe some lighting coming in from behind the camera to simulate light feeding in through a window would really help enhance it or some light coming in through the door window glass on the left?
the lighting in the kitchen also feels like i dont have the main lights turned on... just the uplighters and lamps for evening ambience if that makes sense.

definitely needs light coming from outside in some way i think.

hope that helps.

02 February 2012
Thanx for your feedback!

I thought I was going the good direction but I agree with your points. I think I have to redo the light setup to get more realistic feeling,.

I just finished with the vfx for a dutch zombi movie so maybe I`ve got more time now to spend on my transformer before I`m a daddy.

I`ll post more and better images when I made them.

Keep you guys posted!

Best regards,
Reinier

02 February 2012
update

Hi there!

Uploaded a high res 1920 frame from this project! Its one of the first shots.
This render I made to check the lighting. I deleted the whole setup and I`m gonna try something new.

Maybe I`ll get back to this setup but first I want to improve this one a lot. Added the image on top of the page.

Feedback is welcome!

EDIT: and added it here. :-)

02 February 2012
Cool man, keep going

Thread Closed share thread