Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Richard Yarbrough

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2005   #1
Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Richard Yarbrough

Richard Yarbrough has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Coloring WIP: work in progress

I haven't finished obviously, but, this is the composition where its headed. Any critiques on the placements of figures and the explosion would be great. The explosion is only a temporary fix and is just a smeared photo off the web. The final explosion will look something like this but, hand painted. Any comments on color combinations would be a help as well. Thanks.

Old 01 January 2005   #2
Concept Sketch: concept sketch

Hello every one this is the first time I have ever been involved with cgtalk and cgnetwork, other than to look at all the beautiful artwork. Personally this will be the first finished piece of art I have completed in a very long time, and the first full Photoshop painting I will have ever attempted.
My concept is simple, on board the mother ship a remote control pilot shows an uncanny ability to fight beyond typical human and even computer aided capabilities. The other pilots have lost all their space ships and are now transfixed by this lone pilot's daring abilities. Can he stop the impending evil, or will his people's cause be for nothing?
on the commander's large screen to the right I will showcase different views of the raging battle that is taking place thousands of miles away. This will show multiple space ships and dogfights. Being in space the ship designs will be completely unaerodynamic and resemble shoe boxes with rocket thrusters and rail guns and fuel pods.
Here's hoping for the best, and good luck to every one.

Old 01 January 2005   #3
Wow, your first full completed Photoshop painting and you're only giving yourself 5 days to complete it?! Good luck!

-mike

Old 01 January 2005   #4
I'm with Walrus... let's see how fast you can paint!

Good luck!

my GSO entry | my M&S entry | my PORTFOLIO |

Old 01 January 2005   #5
thanks for the luck, I'm gonna need it. Both of you guys have awesome art already submitted. Terrific action and composition in both scenes. See ya at the finish line.

Old 01 January 2005   #6
Concept Sketch: vehicle concepts, blocking of scene

I hope this is not too large a file. The vehicles are as basic as possible to allow the most compact design to be stowed away in vast numbers. The scene is coming along. I think the ships could be black as space (2001 monolith style) and you can see them only when there are nearby explosions, or when they fire rockets or block out stars. the ships will appear on the screens in the final painting.

Old 01 January 2005   #7
Concept Sketch: costume designs

these are the costume designs. the commander resembles a falcon with a helmet shaped like a falconer's hood. The "muscle style" suits worn by the pilots are going to be brown and blue, with the muscle shapes being brown.

Old 01 January 2005   #8
Daring attempt

If you really havent done many paintings with photoshop. Just skip it all together. Go with the regular medium. Use pencils and real paints.

Paint the picture and do a quick retouch and finish up tuning in photoshop.

That's my 2 cents. Howd ya like that?

Old 01 January 2005   #9
Smile

Thanks Falcor, that sounds like terrific advice. But, I really want to learn how to paint with Photoshop. I know there are thousands of tutorials out there, but, do you know of any one that is indispensible, especially for a beginner. I have used photoshop for its editing ability but, never its art creation painting aspects. Any tutorials would be nice. Thanks.

Old 01 January 2005   #10
Line Art: Almost there

This is the first phase of the line art process. I still need to add in the ships and odds and ends. Next I will try and learn Painter in 2 days. I just received my new Intuos 3 tablet and love it, makes Painter quite a bit easier. I have been thinking about several titles for this piece, including "My Youniverse", however a google search turned up lots of other Youniverse titles out there and I felt a much less original after that. This piece tells the story of the last pilot with a functioning remote controlled gunship who just saved his homeland, or is about to, I am not sure, kind of forgot to really think about the story too much, oops! "Last Hope", "You", "High Score", "All Time High" are some other titles. Right now I just hope to finish a nice line art piece, maybe without color. The much larger TIF file has a great more detail in the faces which is completely lost in the JPEG. Thanks for looking and any comments are welcome.

Old 01 January 2005   #11
Coloring WIP: painting is underway

This is my first ever attempt at using Corel Painter, the new Wacom tablet is a massive help and I can't understand how any one paints with only their mouse? I have submitted a close up version of the painting to show the little bit of detail which is completely lost in the wide shot. I hope everyone enjoys this.

Old 01 January 2005   #12
Coloring WIP: close up of faces

This is the close up. any tips on how to quickly and easily smoothe out the values and hues of the face would be a big help. Maybe its the small size of these distant guys faces, but, its extremely time consuming to try and gradate their face colors. Any simpler way?

Old 01 January 2005   #13
Interesting poses : I really enjoy your anatomical approach.

Old 01 January 2005   #14
Line Art: city ship

This is part of the enemy city ship that will be superimposed on the large screen on the right side of my scene. Part of the right side of the cityship will be engulfed in a circular nuclear blast much like in Akira. The top part of the city is where all the wealthy citizens live and the poor live below the city ship in slums and decrepit conditions. Ironically the thick section of steel and sewers and pipelines separating the two halves actually ends up saving most of the poor from the nuclear blast. The wealthy are not so lucky.

Old 01 January 2005   #15
Thank you very much Arctis for your comments. It really means so much to me coming from an artist with your ability. I love your tutorial on cgnetwork and all your work I saw. If only I had known all those tips before I went and winged it on the fly, maybe there would have been fewer bumps in the road.

Thread Closed share thread