Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Peter Johansson

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2004   #1
Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Peter Johansson

Peter Johansson has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: The sunny little doomed planet

This is it, the final one, time is running out. I added some more detail as well as another ship, ive been thinking of adding more debris like a smashed ship but i figure its going to be too much stuff, at this point im still as pleased with the composition and the impression as i was on the initial concept, as you can see i also brightened up the colours quite much sice the last step, i seem to have problems with that generally making the images too dark and low contrast, this way it may seem more cartoonish though but im very pleased with it. I also saw your point on flipping the image, it do tend to create less tension if the ship faces the right side, it cind of litteraly escapes the painting. Thanks for all your comments, i hope i have some chance in this competition, it was fun and challenging as well as motivating.

Old 12 December 2004   #2
Concept Sketch: The sunny little doomed planet

The images multiplied somehow, but now its gone

Lp

Last edited by Lillpeter : 12 December 2004 at 02:28 PM. Reason: The images multiplied somehow

Old 12 December 2004   #3
Concept Sketch: The sunny little doomed planet

The images multiplied somehow, but now its gone

does anybody know if i can remove these junk replies somehow?

Lp

Last edited by Lillpeter : 12 December 2004 at 02:31 PM. Reason: The images multiplied somehow

Old 12 December 2004   #4
Angry ?

Whats happening?, the post seems to multiply! stop with that!

Old 12 December 2004   #5
Looks very impresive and amazing. Good composition i think.

Good luck.

Old 12 December 2004   #6
very dynamic. I like it! I wonder what is the stoty behind that piece?

Old 12 December 2004   #7
great composition. Look forward to seeing how this progresses.

-g

::: unit - concept art, illustration & design :::

:: Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite ::

Old 12 December 2004   #8
Hi Peter,

great concept sketches. Looks very big and destructive. I prefer sketch 6 and also the flipped version sketch 5.

Maybe I would change the shape of your present spaceship because the design looks more like a little fighter ship than a big mothership absconding with thausends of civilians

Greetings
Fahrija

Old 12 December 2004   #9
Talking Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies, the story behind the picture is roughly that of an idea for a game ive had for some time, the last people escaping a doomed planet in a primitive ship (something patched together, no great federation ship), although i had to redesign the ship for it to fit the epic theme of this challenge.

About the size of the ship, i agree that it need too look larger than it does in the concept, i could add some cind of passenger module or something maybe, anyway the lights on it at the moment are way out of scale, and im also going to add a ton of stars and planets in the background to enforce the epic theme.

I guess i could go with the flipped number 5 sketch but i think the ship gets out of focus since we read the picture from the top left corner towards the lower right.

Thanks

Lp

Old 12 December 2004   #10
I'm impressed by the 3rd sketch, though I don' t know what it is.
I'd really like to see it developped !
Good luck.

Old 12 December 2004   #11
Ditto for me about #4. What are all those things floating up there? Drones? Destructobots? A massive fleet? Anyhow, it intrigues me....

The one you're working on now, #6, is nice too. Strong perspective. I really hope you push the parts where the planet seems like it's flying apart at the seams, as I find that a really interesting aspect of the piece. Either way, it'll be nice to see how this coms along. Best of luck with it!

-mike

Old 12 December 2004   #12
Post Early steps

The firtst sketch shows my initial space ship design (somewhat related to the millennium falcon perhaps) but i soon gave it up since it wasnt very epic, but ill probably develop that one some time.

The second one is just the very first pathetic attmpt to depict a meteor about to crash into a planet to get a feel for the whole thing.

Sketch numer 3 is depicting the meteor coming in through the atmosphere just before hitting the planet, but it didnt show off much action (more like the calm before the storm maybe), i later expanded that one into sketch 4 as you can probably see if you look close at it, and the idea was to make a ship or space station in shadow beneath it

Sketch Number 4 is simply supposed to depict the meteor crashing through a big space station built up by modules before it hits the planet.

And the fifth, well its just the step right before number 6 came to kick its ass.

Walrus, the seams in the planet was just supposed to be lights as in roads or cities but your idea is much better, im definitely gonna go at that, as if the meteor as it pushes down the surace it pops up and apart elsewhere because of the pressure, thanks alot, this ones gonna be soo sweet when its done.

Lp

Old 12 December 2004   #13
these sketches are really nice. Number 6 is cool, and I like number 4 as well, I think there might be some interesting possibilites if you developed that one more. I like your idea of a patchwork ship design though, it highlights their desperation.

Old 12 December 2004   #14
yea could feel that #6 like a punch !

4 and 5 are cool too

Old 12 December 2004   #15
Really nice sketch Peter! Lots of dynamism in the compostion. It'll be great!

fewlines.com

Thread Closed share thread