Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Ken Henderson

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2004   #61
Line Art: Final Line-art for Temple city

I copied the 3D ref sketch onto a piece of large paper and began the process of sketching the final line-art. Basically I pulled the 3D rendered image into Photoshop and sized it to fit the image size I was drawing. From there I measured where each object was in Photoshop and recreated that placement on my paper (laborious isn’t the word for it… yikes).

This took me a day or so working with Verithin blue pencils. Once I was happy with it I took a few hi-rez digital photos of the image and cleaned it up a bit in Photoshop.

I’ll be drawing the attacking ships on a separate sheet of paper and comping them in on layers in Photoshop later. The Mother ship will be created using a Maya ref base and then painted from that base in Photoshop as will the planet.

Still deciding if I want defending ships… I think the image may have more impact if it is just a relentless, ruthless assault by the attacking civilization.

We’ll see… if there are to be defending ships I’m thinking very low-tech… the home world is not a warring one…

my GSO entry | my M&S entry | my PORTFOLIO |

Old 12 December 2004   #62
Coloring WIP: Starting in on final work

Here’s a quick 1st pass at colours, and some detail work. The Temple area will be this base colour. The orange-lit windows are all “apartments” or transportation tubes. This is an ancient civilization that has built onto its temples to accommodate the population growth.

The details in the Volcano temple, the attacking Mother ship and the planet, clouds etc. will all be worked out in the painting, in Photoshop.

Hope y’all like it.

Any comments are appreciated!

Old 12 December 2004   #63
I like your vulcano city style and perspectice, think you will give more shadows-contrasts to the differents elements... perhaps I will put the foregorund ship most little and "more of them".

Old 12 December 2004   #64
Nice "aquatic/ocean" touch with the pics, and what makes it even more interestingis the fact that it seems to be happening in dry and hazardouz place Nice nice nice!

The squid and other sealife designs look really good. It should come out as very impressive image at the end I think.

Have u used 3D in that big spaceship?

Old 12 December 2004   #65
stefgrafx:

Thanks for the comments! The image you're reffering to has no shadows, colour treatments to break up objects or anything of that nature. I will be focusing on keeping everything coherent and easily read (within the greater context of the image that is).

In regards to the ships... I'll have them on separate layers so scaling them to suit the composition won't be an issue. Good point though!

ElFuego:

Thanks for the comments! I became attached to the "squid" motif from one of my earlier sketches and thought I'd run with it. Everything is beginning to feel pretty "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" though... but I'm happy with it.

The Mother Ship (as seen in the above image) is purely a Maya model with a grid texture so that I can have a ref in my Photoshop scene to paint from. I will be modifying it in Maya to get it a little larger, more menacing. But the final ship will be all 2D in Photoshop.

The attacking fighter that is close to the viewer is all 2D, as will all of the fighter images be. No 3D ref used at all in that sketch. I did create some dummy fighters in the 3D composition ref in a previous post but I made that after I designed / illustrated the fighter.

Thanks for looking guys!

(wahoo... my 100th post)

Last edited by cgkrusty : 12 December 2004 at 12:09 PM.

Old 12 December 2004   #66
Coloring WIP: Colour update - 1

Just digging into the temple city a bit. Added some roughed in shadows, some textures and some colour treatments. I'll post my pallette as well...

Old 12 December 2004   #67
Coloring WIP: palette

My base colour palette for the image.

Old 12 December 2004   #68
Coloring WIP: Colour update - 1 (no fighters)

So that you can see the detail and progress work on the temple city...

Old 12 December 2004   #69
Coloring WIP: Colour update - 1 (detail)

A detail of the temple city colour work in progress.

Old 12 December 2004   #70
this reminds me moebius art.
great lineart and colors. keep it up!

Old 12 December 2004   #71
Thanks kengi!

I'll try to steer away from Mobius style colouring so as to distance myself from his amazing work... but a nice compliment regardless. I didn't have him in mind when I was creating the work but a few people have commented that it does remind them... again, I'm fattered!

Old 12 December 2004   #72
Thanks for posting that detail image. I really like your colors and style. Good work

Facebook

Old 12 December 2004   #73
No worries SideAche!

I always like to see how people do their work, see it up close so I can try and deconstruct it... I'm a big fan of the process it takes to create a piece of art. CU's help me to show my process more.

Thanks for looking!

Old 01 January 2005   #74
Master cgkrusty!
You have shown series of outstanding 2D artwork.
Guess you wanna get placed high in the end

Althought everybody will tighten up madly towards the last actual week.. Be prepared.
No crits since you already know everything i do.

Old 01 January 2005   #75
Thanks Falcor_ !

I'm excited about everyone tightening up their entries and look forward to seeing the culmination of everyones efforts. There are so many wonderful entries that the challenge will be tough but the work, regardless of who wins, will justify the efforts put in. I'm just happy and excited to be a part of this diverse and talented group... and even more excited to be making and talking about art again.

I just want to make sure that I put in the effort to put my best work out there because I know everyone else will be doing the same.

Thanks for the comments and Happy New Year to everyone!!!

Thread Closed share thread