Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Ken Henderson

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2004
Hi cgkrusty!

I like a lot your sketch stile. You have a very strenght line but in your final sketch it seem to loose some of it. I like a lot the kind of rock landscape you were working before, with those strange monoliths. It has a more alien feeling than the final one. Make me remember "Arzach" of Moebius. It will be great that you keep something of it. Perhaps the takeover platforms in foreground could be stone alien structures... I dont know.The ships designs is really cool. Very dinamic. Perhaps I am a little prejudice but I can't avoid Arzach, so I am imagining the color palette in this way, more warm. Also the blue one you are managing is more cold, and it tends to remove a little the "heat" of the battle.

12 December 2004
Thanks for the comments Kaparo...

Yah, great point about the monoliths... I think I will work that into my landing pads and will warm up the landscape. The photo manipulation is just for layout purposes... to get my space and composition settled... I love drawing the old statues, sculptures and stone work so I appreciate your encouragement there!

Appreciate the feedback!

my GSO entry | my M&S entry | my PORTFOLIO |

12 December 2004
Thumbs up Wouldnt you like to fly

Great Idea for the photo referencing there mate, ships are lookin snazzy to.

12 December 2004
Nice! I am not sure why wolud aliens shot at mountain but it looks interesting indeed I think that distant cityscape could give Your composition a punch. I like Your fighter ship. I think taht changing daytime to dask is good idea. Looking forward to next update!

12 December 2004
I just want to tell you I realy enjoyed your early drawings- photo source hides that quality, but it sounds like you're only using photos to block in the concept. Great drawings! (not that there's anything wrong with the rest, I'm just a fan of drawing )

12 December 2004
KaleN;

They're shooting at it to start a seismic reaction on the planet. Why go to all that effort to build a planet-destroying weapon when you can coax the planet into doing itself in? That's the concept anyhow...

I've also slightly modified the concept as per kaparo's comments. The Mountain / Volcano is now going to be a massive ancient temple built on and around a Volcano. So not only are the Aliens targeting the core of the planet through the Volcano, they're also wiping out one of the most scared icons of this planets civilization... rotten scoundrels!

ebrowning;

Thanks for the kind words. Have no fear... soon that photo ref image will be a distant memory and it'll be back to doodles!

Thanks for looking guys!

12 December 2004
Concept Sketch: mountain temple sketch

As noted, I'm creating an ancient temple around the Volcano that is being activated by the Alien attacking ship. Here's a first pass at it.

I'm happy that kaparo lamented the fact that I had got away from these ancient iconic images. I was worried when I did defending planets fighter ship that I might be getting two cultures that looked too similar. By adding back the ancient ruins I can key off those elements to create two unique cultures and that "clash of civilizations" that I was originally shooting for.

12 December 2004
Concept Sketch: overall mock-up with temple added

Still using the photo (I know...) but have comped in the new temple concept. My concern with it will be apparent scale and level of detail, but I'll figure that out when I get down to painting.

Still have a lot of work to do but it's getting there. We'll see where the palette goes with this. With the addition of the temple it allows me to warm it up a bit but I don't want to go all desert... hrmmm.

I'll be playing with this all week. I hope to have the final line work done by this weekend so I can get down to doing some final painted work.

Thanks for looking!

12 December 2004
Hi cgkrusty.

It looks really good! I love your ship designs.

I'm not much of a 2d artist so I couldn't offer many crits, but I think it looks very good so far. Keep it up!

12 December 2004
Thanks Eagle_e7!

12 December 2004
I'm affraid that this tample add stands from the rest of the image. It seems to be lightened in different way. I suggest changing colour balance a little bit to fit bluish bacground better.

12 December 2004
KaleN;

Yah, it doesn't really fit in but, it's just a composition sketch... no colours are set, not even sure if I'm going with the blue BG or not.

That being said I have modified the composition and will be posting a revised layout in a day or so. This one is just too convoluted, too much space and detail to make up... too straightforward.

The new composition is much more dynamic, more involved in the moment and I hope it's my final take on this idea.

We'll see..

Thanks for looking!

12 December 2004
Ok, it's a miscallenous between matte painting, and brush's draw, it's goog, i wait the final result

My challenge page

12 December 2004
MDN67;

You got it... it's a collage of images to feel out the composition.

A new one is coming soon... thanks for looking!

12 December 2004
Your techniques are awesome, the ideas are pretty classical though. It would be nice to read a little story from the image. Or see something unusual in the classic environment, maybe something funny. Originally space opera was introduced to public as an alternative to "boring" sci-fi, to attract younger auditories. Well it's just a personal opinion though.
And... did I mention, that your techs are ultramega awesome ?

Thread Closed share thread