Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Ken Henderson

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2004
u got some great lookin sketches there dude , can't wait to see more

12 December 2004
Concept Sketch: No title yet - just a sketch

Concept change, I just didn’t feel my last images hit the “think big, really big” – “grand Space Opera” feel. So… here’s the new as-yet-unrefined sketch.

Basically, massive Alien attack setting off volcanic eruptions across the world. Fleets of ships scramble to defend the planet as thousands of citizens flee. I want the Alien ships to be creating a vortex, sucking the atmosphere up into them as they start the seismic chain reaction that will destroy the planet.

Thanks for looking…

my GSO entry | my M&S entry | my PORTFOLIO |

Last edited by cgkrusty : 12 December 2004 at 08:34 PM.

12 December 2004
Really dig your sketches, the last one rocked my socks off... very innovative method of
world oblideration. My advice for now is go with this idea :]

12 December 2004
Red face

I like this new idea!

12 December 2004
Thanks Ganthu and B.E.L!

It's a much more complex and involved image and I'll need to refine it so that I don't loose my eyesight trying to finish it. I think it's dramatic enough and compelling story-wise as well. Now I have to get some good landscape ref and work on my enemy ships and the defending planet ships, inhabitants. Should be fun... Once I nail the look of the combatants then it's off to refine the final line-art...

Thanks for the kind words!

12 December 2004
Concept Sketch: Alien weapon study

A study of the seismic disruptor weapon that the attacking race will use. A quick marker sketch that I worked over a little in Photoshop. I wanted to get a sense of the hardware look of the ship, a sense for that race's style. Much more work to be done on the ship itself but I'm happy with the menace this portrays.

12 December 2004
lots of potential, I really like the latest concept. very good design, looking forward to more of the overall image...

12 December 2004
Thanks Bolchover!

I'm doing some concept montage-ing to nail down my final image set-up. It's changed a bit (mostly the foreground). I should have some images of the near-final direction later today.

12 December 2004
Hi,
I discover your work difficult all to see there is much
participant, your work is interesting and the design are very good,
good road for the continuation.

12 December 2004
Smashing! Somehow though when looking at it the word "dentist" pops in my head.
That to show how menacing it looks :]

12 December 2004
Great start, looking forward to more updates. Do you have a story established yet?

12 December 2004
Tranchefeux:

Yup... it can be a little daunting to try and find peoples specific entries with all the great work going on. It's fun searching though, lots to be inspired from. Thanks for the comments!

Ganthu:

Giant Alien warships descending down on a planet to disrupt its natural seismic patterns with massive weaponry reminds you of the dentist? Yeesh... no wonder that profession has one of the highest suicide rates; they must have left some emotional scars on you Ganthu! I'd try and use that pain and suffering in your Opera Challenge piece... if you can achieve that you'll be set!

AirbORn:

Thanks for the comments! As far as story goes... well, I haven't named the planet, the races or any of the ships (or titled my entry for that matter) but... The basic story line is that one race is being attacked by another in what I'm sure is the culmination of many centuries of warfare between theses worlds. This scene is a depiction of the final battle for planet (TBD) as they muster all of their forces to try to stop this new lethal threat to their existence. These Seismic disruptor weapons from (TBD) are heavily fortified, almost like aircraft carriers. Their smaller fighters will be quelling any resistance as the larger machine focuses on its task.

This image will depict that battle, with planetary defense troops jumping into their fighters to engage both the enemy squadrons and the seismic disruptor gun-ships.

My next mock-up / sketch will show this a little clearer.

Thanks for asking!

12 December 2004
Concept Sketch: Planetary defense fighter-sketch

Here’s a back view of what will be my Defending fighter ship. I spent the day searching for reference and then got down to doing a doodle. I’m happy with the wing / engine area but we’ll see how it evolves. Still have to do a profile and front view.

Did the sketch with markers. Digitized and quick colour in Photoshop.

12 December 2004
Concept Sketch: tentative -

Here’s what I hope will be my final composition. Basically I searched the web for some mountain range images and found a GREAT site to rough out my composition. (see link / credit below)

http://www.clasohm.com/ (Cartsen Clasohm)

I’m a big fan of photo reference; from there I can take that real world scene and make a more dramatic illustration with the base composition I’ve created with photos as a reference. It also allows me not to get hung up on making a perfect, for instance, mountain.

Now, I’ve got a good image that I can work with and build on.

Once I got the scenic photo ref I modified the angle and comped a few of the photos together to get the scene I wanted.

Then I brought in my Seismic disruptor machine illustration and dropped it over top. Threw in a beam and found a volcano reference from one of Dylan Cole’s GREAT matte paintings for Lord of the Rings. (again… only using this as reference, will be painting my own).

http://www.dylancolestudio.com

I tweaked all the colour balances and saturations so everything seemed to fit together. That gave me my alien attack.

Then I threw in a rough planet shape using a sphere and a light fill in Photoshop.

From there I added my foreground elements (ships, landing pads). I took my defender ship illustration and dropped it in over my mocked-up landing pads. Modified the angle, sketched in some thrust for liftoff and some engine glow and was off.

From there I copied that same ship numerous times and scaled it, rotated etc. and placed those ships throughout the scene to flush out the attack composition.

Once I was happy with the placement (for now) I added exhaust, missiles etc. I also added smaller dots in the background around the Alien attacking ship to give the illusion of a massive battle. I continued on that idea by adding explosions on the surface of the Alien ship… really quick ones, just to get an idea.

Still missing is the city on the mountain top (between the two landing pads) and attacking alien ships… explosions within the city etc. Also the atmosphere vortex around the Alien ship. Massive scope is what I’m going for without losing focus of the big event. (aren't we all?)

:thumbsup:

You know that scene in Independence Day when Will Smith is getting the paper in the morning and he looks up to see a helicopter-flying overhead. He then fallows the helicopter as it flies towards downtown L.A. only to have the Alien craft revealed to him.

THAT’S the feeling I’m trying to get… we’ll see.

Thanks for looking. Hopefully the two guys whose artwork I used for ref imagery are cool. Thanks guys, your work is amazing!!!

Whew… that’s a long process explanation… hope it gave y’all some clarity!

Thanks!

Last edited by cgkrusty : 12 December 2004 at 09:33 AM.

12 December 2004
One more thing... the above compositions colour palette, time of day isn't set. I may take it a bit more towards dusk or back towards daylight.

We'll see...

As well... the landing pads are ROUGH! I know, I know... they're just sticking out their like columns for no structure...

I'll make them more purposeful... and will more than likely have some ground crew milling around.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by cgkrusty : 12 December 2004 at 09:17 AM.

Thread Closed share thread