CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CG Challenge XVI - Grand Space Opera - 2D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 01-06-2005, 08:11 AM   #46
AirbORn
kicking and screaming!!

portfolio
Marek Okon
Motion Graphic Designer
Toronto, Canada

Very ncie feeling to your piece. The atmosphere feel nice too

Old 01-06-2005, 01:03 PM   #47
GaeasHerald
Storyteller

portfolio
Gerardo Lin
Montevideo, Uruguay

Good call on the color issue. It has the good features of the yellow one, but since it's more saturated it doesn't have its drawbacks. The clouds also help. Nice to see you back!

DOMINANCE WAR IV

DOMINANCE WAR V

Old 01-06-2005, 03:29 PM   #48
andreasrocha
Crazy Fool

portfolio
Andreas Rocha
Freelancer
Queijas, Portugal

Very nice! Those greenish lights really spice up the image. I don't know about the "speeder's" blue lights. They somehow detract... Or else introduce some other blue lights. It's going to look great in the end, definitely.

Old 01-06-2005, 06:22 PM   #49
NathanielWest
Know-it-All
portfolio
Nathaniel West
Los Angeles, USA

Thanks for the comments! I appreciate everyone's thoughts on the painting.

Andreasrocha-Thank you for your input. I personally don't think that the blue is too overpowering, but I'm assuming you'd rather have your eye wander around the background a bit more, rather than be drawn to the foreground. I do want your eye to wander around, and now that I look at it in that light, the painting is not about the car, it's about the environment. The car should only support the overall piece. Ok, good call on your part. I'll work on toning down the brightness of the lights so that your eye doesn't go straight to the car. Thanks so much for the critique!!

Old 01-06-2005, 07:12 PM   #50
YeeWu
Frequenter
Donald Phan
USA

I think this looks a lot better. The placement of the buildings and scale are much easier to read now I love those windows. The warm pinks in the background were a nice touch. This is just random speculation, but maybe the light could build up in the sky towards the horizon more? Like maybe they can glow or something (which you already have. Just thought maybe the effect could be stronger?). Just a thought Hmm...what would happen if you kinda darkened the clouds up towards the top a little? This could be another personal thing, but I feel like it's a very open piece, and maybe it could benefit from being a little more closed in? Ah, more rambling from me (-_-)' I think I should just stop now and watch for your next post :P Great work!

Old 01-07-2005, 06:17 PM   #51
NathanielWest
Know-it-All
portfolio
Nathaniel West
Los Angeles, USA

Thanks YeeWu, I'll work on the sky a bit, and I need to work on the feeling of depth. Right now it's not working in my opinion. I'll definitely be making some of those building look as though they are made of glowing glass. We'll see how it all turns out I guess. If anyone has any idea of what area is not working at all, please let me know. Thanks!

Old 01-08-2005, 09:12 AM   #52
NathanielWest
Know-it-All
portfolio
Nathaniel West
Los Angeles, USA

Coloring WIP: A little further...

I've been working on adding more windows, and trying to make this whole thing work. Please let me know what you think needs attention. Thanks!

Old 01-08-2005, 09:13 AM   #53
Aethyrprime
Dead Man Walking

portfolio
Alaric LaBrie
Musical Composer / 3D / Gaming / L & NL Video Editing
Invisionary, llc.
North Palm, United States Minor Outlying Islands

Send a message via Yahoo to Aethyrprime
Beautiful work man. This is a great entry.

Old 01-08-2005, 10:06 AM   #54
cgkrusty
Know-it-All

portfolio
Ken Henderson
Freelance Illustrator / Concept Designer
Home Studio
Comox, Canada

I'm just curious how you're going to treat the FG people... I think they'll need some focus / light shining on them, otherwise this will be just a beautiful cityscape image.

It's gorgeous, don't get me wrong, just wondering how you will show the story of the piece...

Nice job so far!

my GSO entry | my M&S entry | my PORTFOLIO |

Old 01-08-2005, 12:27 PM   #55
ecura
Frequenter

portfolio
Eric Truong
Sydney, Australia

Well done with the lights, it looks great and fits in well with the style you have. I do agree with cgkrusty, you probably need to feed back some of that light to the people. Its important to have that connection between the people and the cityscape, its part of the story right. BTW the mood and atmosphere is working really well. Keep it up.

Old 01-08-2005, 04:08 PM   #56
MDN67
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Laurent Mordin
gueret, France

Hi, the ambiant of your project is very good i love the ligthing. The building are vary beautifull. It's a "blade runner" ambiance, i like this, good work

Old 01-08-2005, 07:08 PM   #57
NathanielWest
Know-it-All
portfolio
Nathaniel West
Los Angeles, USA

Thanks for the input. I'll begin working on the foreground so that we can all get an idea of how it's going to relate. Besides that I'm still looking at it and I feel as though the buildings don't have enough form...each side is so close in value that it's looking cartoony to me. Does anyone feel this way, or is this a convincing 'real' space? If you have any input, please don't be shy. I really want to know what you feel, even if you hate it and think I should change everything. Thanks for the previous responses, and I'll be back later on with an update.

Old 01-08-2005, 10:09 PM   #58
se7en-z3r0
Frequenter

portfolio
shay casey
Illustration + Design by Se7en
www.weapon-x.net
Cornwall Bridge, USA

Send a message via AIM to se7en-z3r0
Looking great so far. I like the buildings right now - the way they fade into the sky makes it feel very large. Not sold on the foreground yet though cuz I cant really tell what it is : )

Old 01-09-2005, 03:57 AM   #59
NathanielWest
Know-it-All
portfolio
Nathaniel West
Los Angeles, USA

Coloring WIP: More windows...

I've been adding more windows and trying to refine things such as colors, values, etc. I'd really like to know if you all think the more saturated sky is better than the previous image. I'm not sure if this is working still.

Old 01-09-2005, 04:23 AM   #60
YeeWu
Frequenter
Donald Phan
USA

I'm in favor for the more saturated sky. I think it might be a little too saturated, but I think the value range is working a lot more. Not sure if this is what you intended, but is that a face in the building in the distance on the left? Kinda reminds me of an Easter Island head

Those windows are looking really good! Maybe the lower left parts of the city could do with some of the brighter lights (like the one behind the car)?

Is it the color palette and values that you're not sure are still working?

Thread Closed share thread