Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Michael Dashow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2004   #61
Originally Posted by walrus:
please don't let your appreciation for one color palette over another tint your views. -mike

LOL!
But seriously, I love the way this concept is developing. The point of view rocks and I like how the heroes have the bright highlights while the evilbots are an enclosing darkness. The skyline in the bg gives a nice sense of place. I like the moon's placement, but don't understand why it's falling apart. If you can make that clear I'd keep it. Otherwise you could have the sun in its place, its light being choked off by wave after wave of evilbot ships. I can envision you doing things differently (armor on the characters, bigger guns, etc) but can't imagine this being done better. Really nice job so far.

Old 11 November 2004   #62
i agree with ilikesoup i think you should make clear a reason for the moon falling apart but the characters are just fine i think so keep it up youre doin great man

Old 11 November 2004   #63
I agree with Ilikesoup because i too like soup! (sorry)

The moon does not sem a great idea to me. If you can make it work then it could rock, but ilikesoup's idea of the sun being blotted out is a good idea and i would like to see that.

Yes keep the eye contact! Add's alot to it. More please sir!

Old 11 November 2004   #64
Concept Sketch: 3D reference work - alien starships

Wow, thanks all for the big number of responses... And amazingly unified, too. Gee, I really liked the moon falling apart just from the coolness factor, but no, i didn't totally have a reason for it. But obviously no-one else did! :-)

Haven't posted anything in a few days because I've been advancing towards that 'Final Line Art' milestone, and it's a slow slog. Not a painful nor arduous one, there's just an incredible amount of detail that needs to be precise in it, it's a heavy composition! (But no complaints, that's what makes it feel epic, to me anyhow.)

I'm a little stuck on the mass of alien 'bots in the foreground: Do you think it'd be better if they were all the same "model" or if I had just all different kinds of alien robot forms, each specialized for a different kind of ground assault (while still looking like they were the same tech.)

Anyhow, in the meantime, I've also been working on reference models for some of the trickier parts of the alien tech. Here's a shot of the alien starship, modelled in Maya as a reference that I will draw over. The outer parts are a chitinous, carapace-like hull, very organic looking. That black part on the insides won't necessarily be black, but it will be all wires and veins and intestines, and gunk like that, again, very bio-mechanical/organic. You can see hints of what I'm talking about in the thumbnails that i posted on page 3... Cheers!

-mike

Last edited by walrus : 11 November 2004 at 05:38 PM.

Old 11 November 2004   #65
i like your idea for the biomechanical type robots and ships and i also think that for the ones on the ground you should have three or four variations of attackers with same tech nice work so far

Old 11 November 2004   #66
Hey Mike

Well, first of all cheers for your critique on my thread. it was really helpful.

Second of all im going to attempt to give you a helping hand as you did me.

The main figures should be slightly above the rest of the enemy. I once saw a great painting of Custer's last stand against the indians. i think raising the heroes in the scene will really add a point of interest. make them brighter and moree contrasty to the dark beasts.
Then move them to the 1st third of the page. leaving two thirds to the right. this leaves space for some big creatures and also some of the enemies rushing in viciously fromt he right in full motion as if they were some sort of ravenous beast joinin the rest of the creatures in the final clawing attempt at the heroes.

It's a bit vague but i think that by developing the composition into thirds like so and having the points of interest scattered in such a manner the eye will be drawn and the character of the antagonist will be shown with those below the heroes andthose barbarically rushing forward to join the onslaught.

PS i was thinking of this with a slightly more perspective view, looking up slightly

Regards and good luck

Mike

my 2d space opera: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.ph...=omega+freefall

Old 11 November 2004   #67
Line Art: Massive Bot-bardment: Line Art

Thanks for your comments, Mike. I think you have some good points, but they unfortunately came after I pretty much finshed the line art. Oh, well, it's not set in stone, and there are definately some areas that need so reworking (like the tip of the sword and the main hero's back leg.) But most of this should carry me on through most of the coloring... It's on to that today!

-mike

Old 11 November 2004   #68
hey walrus i like your newest design the guy getting attacked in the corner is really cool the chaos around him fits perfectly keep it up cant wait to see your final work

,Justin

Old 11 November 2004   #69
Wow, this truly is a space opera, but why are the cat-like-being forming a line when the attackers come from all sides? Normally they would be forming a circle in this situation. Only if there was something to defend behind them they would form a line I guess...
But again, I like your picture very much, the line art is excellent and it fits the theme pretty well.

Old 11 November 2004   #70
Michael,
i love the alien post. It is great seeing how this is progressing.

Jill

Old 11 November 2004   #71
nice work. keep it up. i want to see the finished result.
MY DEVIANT ART- click here

Old 11 November 2004   #72
It looks very good! Maybe its been already told, but coz of my short time, i didnt manage to read all posts... So, the left standing cat-warrior has its back leg too long and lower than his front leg, which is a bit disturbing... but nothing serious and easy to correct
And Freefall Omega gave u some good advices. I agree with his post. Good luck with the painting process!

DW V 2d

Old 11 November 2004   #73
really like all the designs and everything, but only one thing that bugs me a little, just that the scene looks a little too cluttered..? and i know you are trying to say that the kittys are being overwelmed, but as for the painting is conserned it just looks a little messy.. thought i might be all wrong, cus im not exactly the most able to talk.. :P but thats just my suggestions and i hope they are helpful

Old 11 November 2004   #74
You've been busy I see...! Your new lineart is just so clean! Can't wait to see the colors! You've added some actions, it's just keep improving!

fewlines.com

Old 11 November 2004   #75
Hey, all, thanks for the comments! I'm still working on the coloring to have something to show, but there's a lot to color here! I once swore I'd never again do a composition this complex, but looks like I'm up to my ears in it again! :-) It'll be a few days 'til i have it even rough enough to post. But in the meantime, thank you all for all of your input!

Daadaa - Yes, it is a busy composition, but that's exactly what I was shooting for. Simpler shots didn't read as 'epic' enough to me: It's the feeling of chaos and commotion, the confluence of actual combatants on the battlefield that I'm shooting for. In the lineart, everything has the same weight so there's nothing to draw the eye anywhere, but I'm fairly confident that once the colors start plopping in, things will be clearer.

coCoKNIght - I sort of do see it as a circle, albeit a rapidly contracting one. We're just seeing it from edge-on, and with the 2 main heroes doing more than others to push out the boundary. But I do see them pretty much surrounded on all sides, including above!

NinjaASSN - Thanks for the note on his leg. I am pretty unhappy with it myself at the moment, so i'll have to revise it some more.

...and it's back to work I go! Too bad the holiday vacation here is almost over.

-mike

Thread Closed share thread