Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Michael Dashow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2004   #31
Congratulations on the lucrative and lauded "avatar" milestone

As far as the character sheet goes, I would like to mention one thing that kind of struck me as being consistent with the way you've designed them so far. If you're going to go with a thicker neck, be sure to include ears since they appear to be important for setting a reference point to where the head stops and the neck starts. Just something I noticed. Skinnier necks don't have that issue because the change in width is obvious.

[bitterly jealous whine]I'm about to utterly scrap my current direction I think. I just don't see much more potential and nobody's commenting so I'm going to try a new one instead.[/bitterly jealous whine]

Old 11 November 2004   #32
Thumbs up well impressed!!!

ok, so I'm kind of repeating what the other guys have said, but Jeez, they're good. I like all of them! Given the high number of players you've got in your scene, you could use all of them I like the comic book style of them.... are you going to do them more realistically or keep the animated look? either way... superb stuff!
Good Luck

Old 11 November 2004   #33
Concept Sketch: Further alien (hero) concepts

Thanks for the comments, guys. Good call, Russell, on the ears. I've been going back and forth about that: The ears help balance the head, like you said, but I'm also trying to not make them look too obviously cat-like. But I think I've failed that one anyways! (But, hey, I've got an avatar now so who cares! :-))

Daxcat - Thanks for the kind words. My proportions will stay a little more on the cartoony side of things but my rendering is a lot more painterly. It certainly won'
t be a straight-up cartoon in the traditional sense, it'll feel more like a painting when all is said and done.

Anyhow, here's some more explorations on the hero theme. What do y'all think? Too terrestrial or tigerlike still, or acceptable? (And keep in mind, these aren't anywhere close to final, still on the very rough scale of things...) Anyhow, looking forward to hearing from folks...

-mike

Old 11 November 2004   #34
Just go the Star Trek DS9 route and give 'em Farengi ears. Human-shaped and oversized, always good for a laugh!

Old 11 November 2004   #35
looking great! Its nice that u didnt use people but trying to add some more imagination characters to ur piece. Im voting for no.5 alien

DW V 2d

Old 11 November 2004   #36
you have awesome character concepts. a great amount of detail and a wonderful style make the characters truly amazing. i definitely want to see the sketches come together and for your full comp studies. can't wait for more.

Old 11 November 2004   #37
You have a great style for drawing characters! Good job!

Old 11 November 2004   #38
great job dude!

Nice job, i love it!
Nice idea that lio-like-humanoid. Maybe the toon style is too much "childly" (especialy the eyes of your character). Thought you may make it more "mature" or serious (to improve the "grand/opera" feeling)

Good luck to you friend!

Old 11 November 2004   #39
Concept Sketch: Another rough layout

Thanks for the notes, folks! Here's a revision of the layout I was working on earlier. I think i've coverred a lot of NinjaASSN's (and some others') points and it's made it a better piece so far. A little less uniformity of bad-guys in the foreground, a better sense of them being on a hill and shrinking gradually into the distance, a bit more ominous with the spaceships abovehead, and showing the unfolding huge bots in a different way. I'm getting happer with this (though it's still really rough, just a thumbnail!)

Starbuck - Thanks for your comments. I agree that more realistic and less cartoony means more dramatic, and a lot of that I will TRY to balance in the final line art and paint stages. But then, if it were too realistic and grim, it wouldn't be me! Above all alse, I have to please me before anyone else. Hopefully some others will come along for the ride, and with luck, I'll strike the ideal balance (if there is such a thing!)

-mike

Last edited by walrus : 11 November 2004 at 11:49 PM.

Old 11 November 2004   #40
Oh, very promising concept! A battle between two alien breeds, ships... are great, and the cartoonish style at first sight maybe don't be good idea for an epic scene, but I think that if you paint it with good lightning and texture without changing characters style it works well

Old 11 November 2004   #41
Thumbs up cool creatures

hey walrus i like that user name alot. the creatures you have in the first sketch are very cool i like the design you used for that battle scene with them serounded like that. the tenecal creatures do remind me of some thing from the matrix but that is totally cool man cause who doesnt like the matrix any way right? keep em comin

Old 11 November 2004   #42
Liking your concept and illustration. To make it look more dramatic and grand, I think if you could try placing your camera on a low angle looking up, it will make the monster and the spaceship bigger without losing too much focus on the fight scene. Looking good so far! keep up the good work.

Old 11 November 2004   #43
That last one is a great one!

DW V 2d

Old 11 November 2004   #44
Looks good dude. I can see you're starting to think colors (with the red eyes and such) and I'd like to see a lot more in the next iteration of this image.

That being said however, I wonder if you've noticed the frequency of "last stand" scenarios in this challenge. I think that the range of possibilities with a scene as complicated as you're developing could expand to include "ambush", or "premature victory celebration"... ...something to suggest more than desperation against overwhelming enemies. Either way I'm happy, but I wanted to make sure to suggest the ideas if you hadn't considered them yet.

Old 11 November 2004   #45
Great one the last one and really nice concepts for the characters.
Indeed it's nice to not use humains as specialy.
For the last image i think that those characters on the foreground could be a little bit bigger to get even some more feeling of deepness in the image.

Later

y grint Spacebra 2D:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=184953

Thread Closed share thread