Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Teemu Rajala

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2004   #16
For your second piece I say: YES!

That's it. No crits.

Old 11 November 2004   #17
i really like the first concept. it looks like a futuristic/.victorian age. you have a really nice sense of scale, there. the concept is pretty original and i can image this being painted in a whole bunch of ways. good luck!!

Old 11 November 2004   #18
Line Art: Ship crash 2

I did the first concept a little bit further. I was trying to find right kind of lighting. I noticed that it's quite hard to find good balance for this pic. Next time with this concept I'm going to try some colors.

-My Grand Space Opera-

"
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!" -Faithless

Old 11 November 2004   #19
Thanks you for the kind words. I appreciate it! I'm going to play around with the spacepilot concept also... I'll try to do dynamic variation of it.

Old 11 November 2004   #20
Hi Teemur. I like your idea a lot! I agree with you it is hard to find something really new about Space Opera since it is the most common place in sci-fi world. Anyway your idea is quite great and the fix of old-fashion ambience with huge spaceships is great. I like the entire composition, the dramatic light over all, but there is something with the airplane. It looks right over the heads of the people in the first place. It looks... uncomfortable there, too dark so the sense of deep get lost a little. I think you could make it a little less black, separating it from the foreground, giving more atomosfere bettwen them. Another thing: The person in the foreground is looking to the right side with his spyglass. It keeps my attention off the main subject wich is the crashing ship. I prefer he will be looking in that direction too.
Well, just a couple of ideas.
I am thinking now, looking again to your composition in a new movie "Sky captain and the world of tomorrow". It could be quite inspiring in your direction. Good luck!!

Old 11 November 2004   #21
I really like the second concept. Reminds me of Frank Herbert's Dune. Looking forward for character desings!

Old 11 November 2004   #22
That's what I call a poerfull composition! I just love it!

fewlines.com

Old 11 November 2004   #23
'poerfull' mean powerfull in a long time foreigned english...

kuf kuf kuf

(without comments...)

fewlines.com

Old 11 November 2004   #24
Thumbs up

Really love the first concept. However the mountain doesn't look quite right. It's angle -looks as though it is toppling over if you tilt your head- and scale -looks too small in relation to city- make it look unreal somehow.
Lovely image though.

Old 11 November 2004   #25
Thumbs up

You have a very good sense for a striking composition. Be careful not to overdo it with this concept. The angle is very challenging to draw and I think your perspective is off a little. screamingwing already mentioned the mountain, but the balloon-driver also seems to stand in an odd angle. He looks like nearly falling over. It makes me dizzy looking at this picture for too long, but on the other hand it conveys a feeling for the height. Maybe you should experiment with that a little to balance it out. But you definitly have a good concept going here. *thumbs up*

Old 11 November 2004   #26
Thumbs up

this is simply outstanding composition and lighting Teemu! top notch!

great work mate! very, very expressive!
congrats man with already great work and looking forward to see development!
keep this coolest stuff up mate and the best of luck!

P.S. halo atko raha vajtaa? (...i'm pretty sure that i'm messing some words but i haven't had a chance to speak finnish for more than 15 years so forgot it totally although my english is not better )

cheers

Last edited by greentek : 11 November 2004 at 03:37 AM.

Old 11 November 2004   #27
It's a big adventure! Great composition and a mix of old and the new.

Old 11 November 2004   #28
Line Art: Pilot 2

Well, I tried to do a little bit more dynamic variation of the pilot concept.

-My Grand Space Opera-

"
you don't need eyes to see, you need vision!" -Faithless

Old 11 November 2004   #29
Whee! So much constructive crits!

KaleN, Kraull & ecura: Thank you

kaparo: You're right about the plane. I'm going to be carefull with that.. Hmm.. and about the spyglass.. you might be right about that too.. I'll see what I'm going to do about it later on. Sky captain and the world of tomorrow is on my most wanted list! I've high expectations about it! I hope it's going to be good.

Screamingwing: Yes, there's definately something odd going on with the mountain.

t.fadrus: Thanks! some good points there! I'll try to do some experiment.

greentek: hehe! are you asking me "do you want to change some money?" if so then it should be written: Haluatko vaihtaa rahaa?"

Old 11 November 2004   #30
Wow, that's gorgeous, go for it!

Thread Closed share thread