Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Pierre Droal

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2004
hi Pierre..
really great surrealistic stuff !!!

looking forward to see development !
cheers..

11 November 2004
Thanks for your reactions !
About the city lights, I understand that some of you don't recognize it, because the object doesn't have the look of a city, but that's not so important. The essential for me is that the picture makes you dream - I hope it will...- , make you imagine something I haven't thought about.
The first time I saw StarTrek the movie - a shock, I was 8 - I thought there were inhabitants in the V'ger ship, because of the little spots of light. I misunderstood what was V'ger - no aliens on board !- But that mistake gave me a lot of ideas before I realized I was wrong.
That's the reason why It is not really a problem if my picture looks a little bit abstract.

Later ! !

11 November 2004
Arctis, thank you for your comments!

teknotek83 stole the exact words I thought when I first came to your page, "holy crap!"
I really enjoy your imagery, very beautiful and inspiring! it is also a concept that you will be able to create many original paintings from in the future if you develop the story!
One thing I'm not clear on though, you said you wanted this to be a snapshot of the first contact between humans and aliens... but I'm not sure I see the connection? Where are the 2 races and where/how are they contacting?

it's very hard to critique something of this nature! very nice, good luck!

11 November 2004
I agree with Newport, it's kinda hard to read your snapshot idea, maybe because you are still working on it. A great rendering, very organic, almost slimy looking. I guess I have to wait and see

11 November 2004
Hi Steve & 2kre8,
The contact will not appear on the picture, the picture IS the contact ( or the proof of it). It's only a visual contact, a "close encounter of the first - or second- kind", and not of a third kind -communication-.
As I said in my description, we see with the eyes of an isolated satellite, which sent these pictures to earth before it disappeared. Through this fugitive vision, I want to suggest regrets of what could have happened - if we had time to communicate with them -, but unfortunatly will remain impossible.
It's like when you pass in front of Disneyland by car, without entering : it's frustrating !!!
I'll give the look of an old snapshot to the pict at the end. For the moment it's still the clean image.

11 November 2004
Very promising picture! Lots of dynamic what I like the most here and its big so there is no question about its grandness. Im still missing some action or life going on here, but i see u r planning doing that later. Maybe the color scheme is too monochromatic at the moment, but thats just my opinion. Keep up the good work!

DW V 2d

11 November 2004
Don't worry, Ninjassn, I will add more colors, to make it less monochromatic. The global tint I'm looking for is between mono and polychromatic, like a faded color photo.

My website

11 November 2004
hi, a little off the subject, but just viewed your website and also the trailer.... my god will i love a render farm that will allow me to do graphics like that... its like i try to get my PC to render a non textured/bumped hi res model takes like 24hours and then scenes takes more or less years... lol
Anyway, that trailer is awsome..... though sorry to be picky, the one thing i didnt like is the close up of that persons face right after you see the hands... but not saying its not good, just not as high quality as the rest is what im trying to say :P
its a BIG wow to see that... your now my new idol! lol :P

11 November 2004
Thanx alot, Daadaa,
Well I don't know what kind of PC you have, but mine was a XP1800+ (1,5 Ghz) to make to whole film. It's not a fantastic engine but that's enough.

11 November 2004
.... i got amd64 oced to 2.8 + 1gig ddr400 ram + x800xt.... and max is sooooo slow to work with (max7)... :(

11 November 2004
Daadaa, you need to optimize!!! There must be some Faq about optimization (work on low res, hide object, etc...). Personnaly I did a lot of compositing, to avoid heavy scene in Max.
Good luck !

11 November 2004
lol one of my weak points is litriture and any sort of reading what so ever... im at a quite high level of modelling and only done one tutorial.... rest is learn as you go... lol so faqs arnt my cup of tea i have to say.

i do optimise some... i do have most things set as "display as box" ... but its that i go into LOADS of detail on single components.... and a single part of something can reach up to around 20k... lol, im still a noob i guess.... :P

11 November 2004
arctis, I kind of understand what you are trying to achieve, but I still look at your image and I could not see that simply by looking at your image without it being accompanied by your words. What I would normally percieve if I had, for the first time, looked at it is, "wow, very nice rendering of a city in some sort of mountainous or rocky terrain. Beautiful and grand" but I would have no clue of a story or the reason for the birdseye view of this otherworldly sight. I might just think it's a concept image to illustrate an idea for a movie backing or something. I have no suggestions, but for this challenge I think you need your image to completely illustrate your thoughts and story in itself. So whatever it is your thinking, try to incorporate it into your image rather than just an aerial view of an aliean city. As it is a 'grand' view, I believe what the judges will be looking for is a well illustrated 'grand' story to be able to be read from it as well. A picture of a mountain is grand, or niagra falls, but a picture of that alone would not be fitting for this challenge, there would need to be a reason for it to be featured in the image and the reason would need to be clearly illustrated within the image.
hope I made sense! take care man

11 November 2004
Wow, Arctics, your pic has some kind organic feeling, so unique . Great image..have a high potential on it. I'm looking forward to see yours!!

11 November 2004
Originally Posted by Arctis: Hi Steve & 2kre8,
The contact will not appear on the picture, the picture IS the contact ( or the proof of it). It's only a visual contact, a "close encounter of the first - or second- kind", and not of a third kind -communication-.
As I said in my description, we see with the eyes of an isolated satellite, which sent these pictures to earth before it disappeared. Through this fugitive vision, I want to suggest regrets of what could have happened - if we had time to communicate with them -, but unfortunatly will remain impossible.
It's like when you pass in front of Disneyland by car, without entering : it's frustrating !!!
I'll give the look of an old snapshot to the pict at the end. For the moment it's still the clean image.

GREAT!!! simply great idea man! now i like it even more!
keep it going this way!

Thread Closed share thread