Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Maciej Kuciara

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2004   #1
Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Maciej Kuciara

Maciej Kuciara has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: The Messenger

Ok here's the final image. I won't have time to work on it tommorow and the final tif have to be uploaded :(
Thanks for all the comments you gave me!

Cheers,
Maciej

Old 11 November 2004   #2
Concept Sketch: The Massanger

Salut,
I've entered the challange with few hopes to finish this artwork. The main idea of the picture is to show a messanger arrival (lets say his rather important guy ;) I've got few inspirations from both Star Wars, antic Greek civilization and vienna-stadt opera. Hope I won't change whole the sketch too much (first idea before drawing was to put whole the stuff in deep dark space with lot of stars here and there and so on). There was also an idea to show not messanger but a parade, but I think I'll drop it and stay with what I have now...
Anyway, wish me luck ;)

Old 11 November 2004   #3
beautiful - absolutely gorgeous love the concept though personally i'd be extactic with that as my final work =)

anyway great stuff cant wait to see it as it progresses from here

Old 11 November 2004   #4
about the messenger

What I most love in an image, is that it can tell a story, and thats what yours do. Great suspense. One thing: the buildings dont look very well to me. It is just a sketch, I know, but they look a little bold, not very mpressive as the roman empire ones. About the ship, talking about a messenger, I imagine someone who made a very long trip to carry his message, so I think the ship must transmit this idea: dust, scratches, smoke, bruises, etc. Nice work. Keep on it!

Old 11 November 2004   #5
Powodzenia

btw, i'd redesign that spaceship, from the scratch most likely - as now the impression of 'slave 1' from SW is bit too strong

Old 11 November 2004   #6
Hi Tiger1313 - just wanted to say: amazing start. The architecture and the statues really give off a sense of established culture, the desert setting is classic, the ship has been very nicely rendered, though it is a bit Slave-1 ish. Can't wait to see more!

Steampunk - my entry

Old 11 November 2004   #7
hello buddy!!!
nice to see you here^^
good luck honour to be challenge with you

really cool first sketches

My Journey Begins Challenge Thread:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=328222

Old 11 November 2004   #8
This is a great sketch (to me it looks like almost final!!!) lone the view angle & colors. can't wait to see this getting along.

Ronen

Old 11 November 2004   #9
Thanks guys,
For the ship, as I look on it now, yeah, it's to slave-1-ish
See ya til next update.

cheerio!

Old 11 November 2004   #10
Very nice composition. I really like the angel you have on this piece. However, I feel as if the lack of people and the massive architecture in the deep background makes it feel as if you are taking the audience out of the action, or "grand" civilivation that it is. Perhaps more people in the middle ground?

I hope you do not take this negativly, the way it is right now is beautif, I just though I'd mention what I think.

Keep up the awsome work.

Old 11 November 2004   #11
i would change the composition a little, dark ship is much too close to the right edge of the picture. i think.
rest is very promissing. keep up a good work. powodzenia

Old 11 November 2004   #12
I can definitely see the inspirations in this piece. It looks fantastic, I really dont have any ideas on what would improve it. Look foward to seeing more progress .

Old 11 November 2004   #13
wow your first sketch really reminds me of the castel saint angelo in Rome! (with teh bridge lined with statues leading up to a massive building) great job so far! i can't wait to see more!

Old 11 November 2004   #14
More, and more painters with god like skills, enters this challenge. I guess, I'm going to be at the bottom, when it comes to judges.
Nice consept, those colors look so real, and harmonic. And the composition is great.
Though only criticue I have is that it would've been nice to see some progress pictures. But since this is some old consept, I guess you don't have any..

Old 11 November 2004   #15
Great start...although it's starting to look finished already. Perhaps that is one of your main problems...it is looking to defined.

What you could improve, in my opinion, would be to leave some of the Star Wars inspirations behind. The city looks too much like Naboo; you already know about the spaceship; the statues also look Naboo-like...and those red figures to the right look like the Emperor's guardians (I might be exaggerating with this one!). But that is where you could make your work stand out. Make something Star Wars like but completely new!

Your image looks clean and crisp, quite different from what is being posted here in the 2D section, which is good.

And the three figures you have in your setting work out nicely.

Really good start!

Thread Closed share thread