Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Jaime Jones

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2005   #31
Coloring WIP: More progress

Starting to really focus on bringing the faces to life, and the clothing on the children.

Old 01 January 2005   #32
You're back! I'm glad that you resumed work on this piece, as I've always like it. I hope a few days is enough for you to polish it off! I like the new character, and the multinational feel that you seem to be going for. I also like the chnage of the window/forcefield border from green to gold. Can't offer any helpful crits, aside for the fact that two of the children's bodies are all black. ;-)

No, but seriously...
The only little itty bitty minor comment that I would have is that, with such a beautiful, naturalistic rendering style, the line defining the whole left side of the lower left character feels out of place. I could buy its being a hilight on the spacesuit, but it doesn't quite read as a hilight on the hair. You could get away with lightening the background in the lower left and thus eliminating the need for that outline... But then, finishing everythign else is more important at this point, so never mind. Good luck!

-mike

Old 01 January 2005   #33
Coloring WIP: more progress

made some anatomical tweaks and worked to devide the interior from the exterior with color and value. Removed most of the long highlight along the left side of the closest figure.

Old 01 January 2005   #34
Hi Cicinimo, I'm liking it a lot. You've got a good range of colour here, an interesting angle and very strong characters. When I first saw your latest entry it reminded me very much of the book 'Ender's Game' which is spot on for the challenge. The only things I would say is that the interior walls seem a bit too high a value compared to the sun shining on the planet in the background, and the corner of the space station could do with contrasting a bit more with the planet and space by being darker, almost a silhouette. I imagine that the window is some kind of forcefield because of the light around the edge, but it would be lovely to see a faint reflection of the two characters closest to it. Keep it coming, I'm looking forward to seeing it develop.

Steampunk - my entry

Old 01 January 2005   #35
Coloring WIP: refinement

Just more refinement and painting

Old 01 January 2005   #36
wow, that is a superb painting, i cant believe i hadn't noticed it before. breathtaking imagery and an amazing mood. absolutely nothing to crit, you're definately in with a chance and im looking forward to the finished piece.

a simple truth about life

Old 01 January 2005   #37
Thanks for the reply in my thread, man. I haven't seen you in ages. You've been busy with school i guess. Great to see your piece too, and it's looking really nice. My only advice would be to really consider what it is you want to emphasise in the fore-ground. Right now, I think the characters aren't really in focus since the lighting of the background is so spectacular.
I can't give you any direct hints, since it's up to you to decide what you want to bring forth in the pic.

None the less I wish you the best of luck!

Old 01 January 2005   #38
Final Coloring: The Urchin

Nearing completion now. Reworked a few areas and finished up the kids on the left. I Also painted reflections of the kids. I\\\'m really pleased with the reflections, as they give an impression of the smallest child\\\'s facial expression. I feel like that subtle element helps infuse the painting with a the sense of narrative I\\\'d like to imply.

Would still love to hear any last minute critiques!

Old 01 January 2005   #39
I'd love to see you lessen the detail on the inside of the compartment. Because of the amount of detail we loose the sense of scale for the rest of the ship / space station in the BG.

The kids look great and I love the subtle reflection on the glass!

Great work...

my GSO entry | my M&S entry | my PORTFOLIO |

Old 01 January 2005   #40
Crusty, thats definately a reasonable issue, and I think you're right. I've made some effort to reduce contrast and darken the foreground interior over the course of this painting's development. I probably wont be able to bring myself to take down much more detail though, just because it hurts to paint over my hard work. Its such a bad attitude, but I'm working on it.

Old 01 January 2005   #41
I like it alot.

In terms of criticism I cannot say much but I wanted to pose an interesting question. It almost looks in the painting as if there is an atmosphere in space. I assume there is none in the real world but how does one work with there being no atmosphere and still getting the proper sense of depth?
On earth depth can be seen partially because of the atmosphere which renders the distand objects less saturated, lighter and greyish. But how does that look in space? Wouldn't it be logical if there was no such effect?

Just something to think about...

Old 01 January 2005   #42
Final Coloring: Thriving Outskirts

Whew. Huge overhaul at the last minute. I just wasnt happy with the figure closest to the viewer, so I did an overpaint with a photo of my girlfriend as a reference. Also flared up the drama of the background and brought even more foreground/background seperation.

Old 01 January 2005   #43
Belisarious, I considered the exact same thing. I wasnt really sure, and photos of planets didnt help me much. I figured astmospheric perspective would help me compositionally, so halfway ignored science.

Old 01 January 2005   #44
Dude. This is awesome. Having children for subjects really adds a different dimension to the space opera theme.

Old 01 January 2005   #45
Smile

im really speechless at how brilliantly this turned out, great emotion and drama backed up by some amazing technical skill. im already looking forward to the "making of", thanks for some really inspiring work, good luck

a simple truth about life

Thread Closed share thread