Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Richard Dumont

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2004
Concept Sketch: Clothes research through magazine

These little sketches are copies I've made of clothes found in fashion magazines. It would have been easier just to scan them or use them as references instead of drawing them. But, drawing them allow me to memory details and general shapes that I don't instinctively know. It's an exercice that I will do for any project that I don't know well. It's not about drawing the exact shape and respecting the anatomic rules, it's about going fast and seen the more you can. It's a kind of survey.

This step is crucial for me if I want to improve my chance of getting an outfit a little bit more original. It's quite boring, bu it's really worth the time on the long run!

fewlines.com

11 November 2004
Concept Sketch: Identification of the characters

I've put the titles of the characters which I'll have to design to help you understand a litle bit more about the concept. It's quite hard (even for me...!) to see at this stage what's going on, so the legend may be usefull I thought.

fewlines.com

11 November 2004
Sorry for the double post of the research clothes... That sucks!

fewlines.com

11 November 2004
It's looking good so far. I'm looking forward to seeing it develop.

11 November 2004
Concept Sketch: Designing the characters

Here's a concept for the elite guards that will try to stop the commando from getting in.

Tips about how I proceed for characters:

First of all, I set the race and the genre. That decision will have a uge impact on the posture of the character and on his shape.

Next, I'll have to decide his function. Once it's fixed, I have already a better idea about the elements of his costume, his equipment, his health condition, etc.

And after that comes the personality, the emotion and the body image a character should transmit. This step may not be usefull for tertiary characters or those who will have to wear an helmet (like in this case). But it's sometimes not true, if you have to design an helmet that look mean... It's important for this step to determine the facial expression and the traits of the character. It gives us hint about his personality and his age.

The last step should be to decide the art directions, the style that will help getting the characters in context and identify his appartenance. The guide lines I've taken for this elite guard have been to mix Antique and futuristic elements. I set these guides as large as possible at the beginning of the process to be able to experiment and get inspire by mistake.

So now, there some traits I like on it qhich will influence the others characters to come. For exemple, the helmet make me think about roman, but it is not too much like it. So, I'll have to keep that in mind for the other members of the group, to keep a certain unity. He's far from been over, but I have a better idea of where I am going. I'll have to push it farther again and determine his weapon.

fewlines.com

11 November 2004
Concept Sketch: character design

I'm presently working on the swordmaster, trying to find what she will look like. I think I prefer a mix between the two last one. I would like her to have a warrior look but also a touch of feminity.

I'm open for suggestions about which look seems more interesting than an other and for why.

I'll post a selection of the elements I prefer...

fewlines.com

11 November 2004
Hi Kraull,
You know what ? I think you're my favourite painter of that site.
I get this impression when I see your last sketches, also your machineflesh entry : the way you rendered muddy water, lights coloring the skin of your creatures ... Elegant, subtile, imaginative : hats off !
more ! more ! more !

My space opera

11 November 2004
good job on your character designs i like your idea for a female warrior nuthin wrong with girls in cool fightnig clothes huh. i think to keep the feminity in your warrior you should use a blend of the middle one and the second to last youre gonna come up with some cool stuff any way so i hope i gave you somthin good luck

11 November 2004
Character looks great. Nice progression

Facebook

11 November 2004
I like the top on the #5, I think it's good to show the arms it thins the character out nicely.

I like the legs on #4. Again it thinns out the character, but doesn;t make her look to girly.

And I like the hair on #4. Just the right femine touch, yet practically pulled back for battle.

It looks great!

11 November 2004
Hi Kraull,

I very much like your character research work. Very loose and rough but also with specific information about the cloth-style. The stepwise differentiation is also a good comparison feature. The proportions look convincing.

Greetings
Fahrija

11 November 2004
Thanks a lot for your comments and to have shared your opinion with me. I'll try to post the new composition tonight, regarding what you've said and what I prefer. Thanks again everyone!

fewlines.com

11 November 2004
Dragongirl, I agree with you that showing the upper part of the arms is a good option to give a little bit more of feminity to the character. The hair/hat seems to be a plus too. For the legs, I'm not so sure. I kind of like the shape of the last one. Anyway, at this point, I think it's more about taste, but if she turns out to be too much manly, I'll keep this option.

fewlines.com

11 November 2004
Walrusmann, thanks too for your comments! It confirms what I thought would fit best.

fewlines.com

11 November 2004
damn blink and you miss stuff in here
I'll just second Arctis to start with, I adore your painting style.
I'm sort of caught between 3 and 5 for those character designs myself

Thread Closed share thread