CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CG Challenge XVI - Grand Space Opera - 2D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 11-02-2004, 03:39 PM   #16
Squibbit
Dude

Panu Uomala
Helsinki, Finland

Send a message via MSN to Squibbit

megan ewing...sweet...

Old 11-02-2004, 05:53 PM   #17
deaderthanred
the girl from the well

portfolio
Michele Chang Wei-Fang
Freelance Artist
United Kingdom

Concept Sketch: Primary character rework

A new take on the girl, thanks kaparo for the suggestion!

Squibbit: yep, I only wish I'm talented enough to actually capture her beauty, but this is the best I can do for now XD

Sketch recording:
Download WMV (338kb)

More updates soon when I finished work today :) (if only weekends last longer)

Last edited by deaderthanred : 11-02-2004 at 05:55 PM. Reason: link fix as always.. silly tags

Old 11-02-2004, 06:49 PM   #18
elmasfeo
the real one

portfolio
Fernando Garcia
Madrid, Espaρa

great sketches deaderthanred! your style looks very good, it's going to be a geat piece of art!

do you always work in opencanvas? how do you convert your wpes to video? the idea of posting the making-of is very good, thanks for sharing your process!
oh, and do you continually blur the image and de-blur it or is it just something with the video?

Old 11-02-2004, 07:17 PM   #19
deaderthanred
the girl from the well

portfolio
Michele Chang Wei-Fang
Freelance Artist
United Kingdom

Smile

Thanks elmasfeo! I normally work piece by piece and expand the image as I go along, instead of a big overall concept all at once.

I only downloaded open canvas 1.1 four days ago actually lol (found it in a link in the daily sketches) I got my first tablet on the same day and was hunting around for something with a watercolor effect (photoshop and paint shop pro didnt quite cut it). Before that i mostly only work with an optical mouse.

I use Easy Video Capture to record the open canvas WPE playback, then save it out as a WMV (AVI size is too huge.. up to 200mb per session).

And yes, I continually overpaint areas to refine it, with the "watercolor" brush, so it's basically blurred out, then I use the pen/pencil thingie to draw finer lines. I'm a messy painter lol

Old 11-02-2004, 08:59 PM   #20
giza-di
Frequenter

G. Dimitriou
...blip
Greece

the character concept 2 looks very moody, it really has a sense of drama in itself...i would be tempted to build the composition around this figure , but this usually ends up bad...try it though

Old 11-04-2004, 02:48 AM   #21
shadowstarre
Naomi Chen
Whiner, slacker, emotional sea lamprey, Trillaem concept artist
USA

Send a message via AIM to shadowstarre Send a message via MSN to shadowstarre
Very cool sketches you have there, I only wish I could see what you could do with more time... the sketches suggest you are very capable. ^^

Kudos to you for using a reference, I'm guessing it'll help a lot?

My only advice is to maybe try some more contrast in your lighting to bring out the three-dimensional forms of your figures: darker shadows and lighter highlights. Yum.

Old 11-05-2004, 03:22 PM   #22
robinayles
Dizzy Brunette

portfolio
Robin Aylesworth
Bit Pusher
Carrollton, USA

Send a message via AIM to robinayles Send a message via MSN to robinayles Send a message via Yahoo to robinayles
WOW - she is looking beautiful! Thanks for the .WMV's - that's such a great idea instead of .WPE's.

Just a thought - earlier there was discussion about changing what she is holding and you also mentioned droids laying around dead in the background. I was thinking she could be holding some kind of smoking plasma gun and one of the droids in the background would have a big smoking/smoldering hole in his chest.

I really like this idea, good work!

Old 11-05-2004, 04:00 PM   #23
deaderthanred
the girl from the well

portfolio
Michele Chang Wei-Fang
Freelance Artist
United Kingdom

Thanks giza-di, shadowstarre and robinayles! and sorry about the lack of updates..

I'm still banging my head for ideas on the environment first (taking giza's advice), so I'm kinda stuck until I figure out what kind of setting this scene is going to be.

References do help alot, but only to determine shapes. Lighting is the tough one in building a scene.. I'm still doodling in maya for some 3d reference for the environment tho.

Going to try my very best to get an update in today

Old 11-06-2004, 01:43 AM   #24
deaderthanred
the girl from the well

portfolio
Michele Chang Wei-Fang
Freelance Artist
United Kingdom

Concept Sketch: Tesseract Mayfly - messy preliminary concept

Beware of uber ugly sketch lol

This is the layout of what I'm going to start to build upon:

The primary character on a mid-stride pose on the left, bloody with weapon in hand, secondary character faded out in the background sky/landscape, some ships in the sky, and an organic city sprawling below smouldering in the wake of a massacre.

Colors and cleaner version soon (just posting this yucky sketch to show my noobie workflow lol)

Gonna be calling this entry "Tesseract Mayfly".. might even write a short story if I have time much much later on.

Old 11-06-2004, 01:54 AM   #25
deaderthanred
the girl from the well

portfolio
Michele Chang Wei-Fang
Freelance Artist
United Kingdom

Don't know why anybody would want to see how i made that sketch, but I got this habit of saving WPEs in case I need to backtrack anything, so here's the sketch recording as always
Sketch recording:
Download WMV (1.1mb)

Old 11-06-2004, 02:03 AM   #26
elmasfeo
the real one

portfolio
Fernando Garcia
Madrid, Espaρa

so, are you changing your composition? I'm not sure about the new main character's position and pose, but I think I'll wait for your promised cleaner version to comment more about it...where will be the city you mentioned?

(btw, thanks a LOT for your vote on the Daily Sketches)

Old 11-06-2004, 02:09 AM   #27
deaderthanred
the girl from the well

portfolio
Michele Chang Wei-Fang
Freelance Artist
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmasfeo
so, are you changing your composition?

yep! I've tried to make the first one work, but it just lacks that space opera "feel".. it was going into game-art territory (which is usually what I do lol). Going to try my best to post an update before I go to bed today. the daily sketch thingies can be quite a fun distraction heheh

Old 11-06-2004, 04:38 AM   #28
Ilikesoup
Soupy all night long

portfolio
Christopher Perdigao
Customer Service
Valspar Paint
Andover, USA

dead --
I really enjoy your Daily Sketch entries, so I'm eager to see what you do with your Space Opera. A few thoughts:

You asked for similar sci-fi storylines (compared to your first concept). The film Blade Runner involves androids with a short lifespan who commit murder as they search for somebody to help them extend their life span. And La Femme Nikita (Point of No Return is the US remake) involves criminals who are forced to become assassins by a covert govt. agency with no hope of ever quitting. Don't worry about being totally original -- most stories have elements of others built in, whether intentionally, subconsciously or merely by chance. My own concept draws from "Little Shop of Horrors" and Asimov's "Foundation" series.

I think your first concept could work if, as your character falls apart and begins to regain her memory, she tries to take down the organization that made her an assassin. Perhaps she enlists the help of some of her fellow assassins? Sure, easy to describe but difficult to capture in a single picture.

Old 11-06-2004, 04:58 AM   #29
deaderthanred
the girl from the well

portfolio
Michele Chang Wei-Fang
Freelance Artist
United Kingdom

Concept Sketch: Tesseract Mayfly - semifinal messy sketch

Fiddled around some more with some concepts, changed a few small things. No sketch recording wpe this time since I used a combination of PSP7 and Open Canvas 1.1

More updates to come. No more sketch recordings from this point onwards because OC does not record for images not made from scratch in the program itself, but I basically use the same crappy methods as my previous recordings lol

Old 11-06-2004, 05:08 AM   #30
deaderthanred
the girl from the well

portfolio
Michele Chang Wei-Fang
Freelance Artist
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikesoup
I think your first concept could work if, as your character falls apart and begins to regain her memory, she tries to take down the organization that made her an assassin. Perhaps she enlists the help of some of her fellow assassins? Sure, easy to describe but difficult to capture in a single picture.

thanks Ilikesoup

I'm more going for the storyline of her being altered by a rebelling employee of the organization in such a way that (spoiler, but i probably will never be good enough to finish writing the story anyway lol) the memories that she "think" are her past, are merely fake memories. The conversion procedure is fail-safe, memories cannot be regained, but false memories can be implanted.

She goes about searching for her past rather than taking down any organization, only to find the cruel twist in the end that her memories were false, and she was used all along to accomplish someone else's agenda to cause some big huge galactic catastrophe that I have no idea about yet

Thread Closed share thread