CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CG Challenge XVI - Grand Space Opera - 2D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 01-14-2005, 01:39 AM   #61
PatrickJensen
pixel pusher

portfolio
Patrick Jensen
Visual Development Artist
DreamWorks Animation
Redwood City, USA

Coloring WIP: Ship Overhaul

Hey everybody,

Getting a bit more stylistic with this update. Not sure if it will be the final look, but it's always easy to pull it back in the end. What do you think?

More ships are coming, and the top ship will be better defined as well as some of the details on the main one.

Most importantly...I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks again for the comments and critique, and as always, keep up the amazing work.

- Jensen

Old 01-15-2005, 07:30 PM   #62
PatrickJensen
pixel pusher

portfolio
Patrick Jensen
DreamWorks Animation
Redwood City, USA

Coloring WIP: Talk about a step backwards...

Howdy!

Your silence on the last update reassured my feeling that I took a step backwards with that last revision, which is probably the best comment I could have gotten at the time, heh.

Hopefully I've brought back some of the successful elements and made some improvements. The main smoke trails have still yet to be addressed.

Your feedback would be most helpful as I wrap this one up, thanks!

Old 01-15-2005, 07:37 PM   #63
MDN67
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Laurent Mordin
gueret, France

It's again me, i prefer this style of ship, the pic is... incredible, i like the ambiance, clouds, light, sky, all the élément, for me it's th best project of this challenge, very good work, no,... amazing work

Old 01-15-2005, 08:03 PM   #64
6800AD
Veteran

portfolio
Mike McGregor
design company / conceptual design
creativeboy
Brussels, Belgium

No silence from this quarter looks fab....great ambiance and lots of punch...great work all the way through.

(My Grand Space Opera Challenge Page)
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge...challenger=5117

Old 01-15-2005, 08:12 PM   #65
walrus
I used too many monkeys

portfolio
Michael Dashow
Art Director / Illustrator
Oakland, USA

Patrick - This is the strongest image by far. I like the original spaceship that you've reverted to much more than the temporary replacement. The warmer tinge on the engines/lights works much better than what you had earlier, 'though i still find them drawing the eyes a lot because they're so glaring. The explosion in the lower right isn't quite reading as powerful yet, mostly because it's so transparent. But I assume that you will work on that more along with the smoke trails that you said you still wanted to touch.

Not much else to add: Good luck finishing it up, and have a good weekend!

-mike

Old 01-15-2005, 08:12 PM   #66
MDN67
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Laurent Mordin
gueret, France

Oh one thing, at the right, on the ship, before you added a metal reflec, You removed it to put it other than I find less well

Old 01-15-2005, 08:56 PM   #67
Falcorr
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Juha Kämäräinen
Graphic artist
Vantaa, Finland

Tonsen thats pretty clever to be able to achieve improvements by just looking at the thread reply response time

Next time ill be using that technique also! TRRT time.. yeah

Blueish hues really did nothing for your piece. It only broke down the illusion of the horizon and colors.

Look out for the lower right corner. Flames or smokes look messy not cool at all.
Smoke needs to have some feeling of opaque not just transparency. Big buffy smoke not let colors eminate from behind.. They should only gather colors from ambience only.

Old 01-15-2005, 09:39 PM   #68
SideAche
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Cliff Cramp
Illustrator
Cliff Cramp Illustration
Buena Park, USA

Beautiful Work, my only crit is to say that the large smoke trail divides the illustration in half. Great technical skills here

Facebook

Old 01-15-2005, 10:19 PM   #69
Fahrija
pain_emplifier

portfolio
Fahrija Velic
Industrial Designer
NR21 DESIGN GMBH
Berlin, Germany

Hi Tonsen,

I breathe again I love this version very much!

I know I should have posted that I personaly thought the new development wasn´t so strong Will not happen again.

Fahrija

Old 01-15-2005, 11:00 PM   #70
PatrickJensen
pixel pusher

portfolio
Patrick Jensen
DreamWorks Animation
Redwood City, USA

Hah! I'm so glad you people are enjoying this. I always laugh when I make mistakes or take a tangent to an ugly direction. Always makes getting back on point seem that much more rewarding than straight linear progress.

MDN67: Thanks so much! I tried simplifying the metal's specular, and will see what it looks like adding a bit of it back in.

6800AD: Glad you like it, thanks!

Mike: Thanks, man! I didn't even notice how transparent it was getting on the bottom right explosion. That area will soon be remedied. Have a good one too!

Falcor: Got it. Should be fun refining that area, heh.

SideAche: I've been aware of the trail seeming to divide the piece. I still haven't found a better solution, but as it still gets notice, I'll keep at it and hopefully find an answer, thanks!

Fahrija: haha, glad you're breathing again. And no worries about not posting. Looks like you've been busy enough with your painting (which is looking great!)

Any other comments would be heaply appreciated. Thanks for your time,

- Tonsen

Last edited by PatrickJensen : 01-15-2005 at 11:04 PM.

Old 01-15-2005, 11:32 PM   #71
weirdworm

Red face

so this is why i havent seen you lately!

haha i keeed i keeed. jeez its looking good there Mr. J. i cant wait to see it all finished!

Old 01-16-2005, 12:17 AM   #72
Jezzarts
antipodean
-
Australia

Hey there... wow, looking good so far. Nice balance of colour throughout. The spikes really give the image that edge although I'm not entirely sure whats happening... I am pretty tyred though ; )

Did you use reference for the landscape and skyline?... I imagine so as it's spot on. Great job mate, look forward to the final opera, fat lady and all!

Old 01-16-2005, 11:39 AM   #73
sidchagan
Frequenter

Sidharth Chaturvedi
Coral Gables, USA

Send a message via AIM to sidchagan Send a message via MSN to sidchagan Send a message via Yahoo to sidchagan
As far as I can tell, this doesnt need any more changes. Maybe I'm missing something, but as it stands, it looks awesome- fantastic colors, details, everywhere, and definitely a very grand feel.

Old 01-16-2005, 01:44 PM   #74
ecura
Frequenter

portfolio
Eric Truong
Sydney, Australia

This is looking good, the colours has turned out well. Its got good action and a nice scenic view. Be quick to put your submission through. It would be a dissapointment if it isn't in. Good luck.

Old 01-16-2005, 05:34 PM   #75
PatrickJensen
pixel pusher

portfolio
Patrick Jensen
DreamWorks Animation
Redwood City, USA

Line Art: Cloud Foundation "line art"

I've been wondering what to use for my line art milestone since I don't use lines when constructing a painting, as you can see from the process. I suppose the concept sketch was closer to a line art foundation than what reference photos you use, but since some of you were wondering about those clouds - Here are the pictures I took around Florida and above Italy that helped define the sort of cloud formations I was looking for. After heavy tweaking and painting, the results are as you see in the painting.

Speaking of painting, I better get back to it! Thanks very much for the comments and feedback. I should have a final up tonight (Sunday).

Cheers!

Thread Closed share thread