Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Patrick Jensen

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2004   #31
Coloring WIP: Coloring WIP

Thanks very much for the kind words.

So here's what I have so far, the whole piece as it stands right now. It's very much still in progress, but I wanted to show you waht the whole thing's looking like. I've been messing with the clouds for a while, and as you can see they're still very very rough. Once I figure out shapes and colors I'll get in there and refine them to look more like clouds. I'm not sure about the explosion on the bottom left, because I want the focus to be up there on the ship's explosion. So I might get rid of the lower one. And the idea is, maybe we're on some kind of building watching this horrible and spectacular event take place, or we're on some kind of ship fleeing the scene. You can notice the redish hint of a cloud layer above the city, which will get more refined to look more like clouds and less like Photoshop, heh. A lot of changes to come, but mainly the struggle to keep it from getting too messy, yet pull it into refinement.

Definitely a fun one. And great job to everyone else!! There's some mighty fine work being made here.

Cheers!

-Jensen

Old 11 November 2004   #32
you've got the fish eye lens going there. its working great.

Old 11 November 2004   #33
This is looking quite good. Love the perspective. I really like the loose brush work going on. Very painterly.

Old 11 November 2004   #34
Coming along perfectly so far. I really have nothing constructive to say, great work

Old 11 November 2004   #35
Hi Tonsen, just gotta say it's really working for me. Impressive field of view, good strong subject matter. If I could make a suggestion, it would be to tone down the saturation as it seems to be pretty full on all over. I might also lower the overall values so that you could really focus on the upper ship's explosion by giving it more contrast and saturation than the rest of the pic. At the moment it's struggling to appear as a centre of interest. Generally though, great stuff, I'm enjoying watching this pic develop.

Steampunk - my entry

Old 11 November 2004   #36
Hi,
it's an impressive scene you have ! I really like the city and its blending lights : it's striking !
Good choice of lens : fish eye is ideal for hudge scale.
I am just disturbed by the way the ship upleft is binding : it seems elastic. Maybe the nose of the two ships in the sky need to be higher, to respect fish eye deformation.
anyway, beautiful work, Mr Tonsen.

My space opera thread

Old 11 November 2004   #37
Lightning and perspective are great. The lower city and the sun reflection in the sea likes me very much. But maybe the upper right clouds nearby the explosion are too much round. Impressive work!

Last edited by LuisNCT : 11 November 2004 at 06:53 PM. Reason: correcting

Old 11 November 2004   #38
Hey Tonsen,
Nice development >I really like this image.

The two explosions have nearly the same size but they refer to different scales. The profound impact is that one in the background. Maybe the front explosion could be turn into a bunch of little fires accrued by little fighters. Just to accentuate the big explosion again.

Greetings
Fahrija

Old 11 November 2004   #39
Miker, SideAche, and sidchagen > Awesome. Glad you like it! Thanks very much.

Speaky > I definitely agree, and once you said that, I made some quick changes and color overlays to push the rest of the image back a bit, and it's much more enjoyable, and less punchy now. Nice!

Arctis > You're not liking that left ship either. Glad you think that too. I'll work up some different options and get em up. I might have to quickly model a ship and paint over it to get things more accurate. Should be fun nonetheless. Good spot.

LuisNCT > Nice and round and fluffy doesn't = nasty explosion. I agree, heh, those will get more varied and more cloud or ploomlike with refinement.

Fahrija > It's amazing how when I paint, i reference things in the image. I'll paint a cloud and it'll have the same silhouette as a ship, or paint a tier in the city, and it looks like a spike on a ship. This is probably on of the biggest things I'm learning on this one, is consciously struggling with making things not line up with eachother, make things more organic, less predictable, and resultly more interesting and natural. I feel the explosion is weak too, it was a device to take up some space, and I'll definitely try out your suggestion, because I think it would be a fun one. And I'm also really enjoying your work Fahrija! Keep it up!

Welp, these were some great suggestions people. Thank you very much. I'm very eager to continue working on this one. Cheers!

- Tonsen

Old 11 November 2004   #40
composition

Hi. You have a great developing work in here! I thin as you: the bottom explosion do not help. If you remove it, the composiotn will gain. Besides I think the little ship in the background looks a liyttle lose there. Perhaps is the trail, as it is a white strong curve. Having an important point of perspective in the sun you could direct its move like the ship is coming from there, or something like that or you could remove its trail, too. Well, just ideas, you know. Kepp going!

Old 01 January 2005   #41
Coloring WIP: Coloring WIP

Happy New Year everyone!

Having a great and restful break, I came back to this project last night with a fresh outlook on what it could become. The original composition just wasn't working for me, and the original intent was to have the viewer somehow stuck in the middle of this epic battle, which led to the formation of the ship and ultimately this new composition.

**Note: More ships are coming, heh. Just trying to get the composition and main action locked before I keep adding extras and mayhem, (while keeping the whole thing from getting cluttered), all great challenges I look forward to.

I'd be greatful for any comments or suggestions you have. And keep up the amazing work I'm seeing around here!

Best,

Jensen

Old 01 January 2005   #42
Heh he he he *

I just knew things would go crazy during the last few weeks.
I thought you had quit allready! There goes my chance for even honorable mention.

Is that sky from photoref?

If not it might be the best one so far!

Old 01 January 2005   #43
This is wonderful, Tonsen! I agree with Falcor...it must be the best sky around. Simply stunning. The spaceship in the foreground looks wonderful, and those spikes pointing out worked out perfectly! I would like to suggest two things, that I think might improve your work:

1. The planet's horizon seems too curved. If possible, try to straighten it a bit, so the planet doesn't seem so small.

2. The rocket's trail is calling too much attention. Try to make it less obvious, or remove one of the trails.

This entry is one of the best, definitely.

Keep it up!

Old 01 January 2005   #44
Hi tonsen,

really beautiful picture. Outstanding what you conjured up in final lap. The atmosphere is great.

Just a question. How did you make the metal texture of the right spaceship in the foreground?

Best wishes
Fahrija

Old 01 January 2005   #45
Great job indeed! I just love Your colour scheme! Can't wait for finished piece

Thread Closed share thread