Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Patrick Jensen

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Patrick Jensen

Patrick Jensen has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Final Image

THE DRIGGER INVASION

"Amongst a time of peace and prosperity,
The lost Driggers appear out of legend,
To Illuminate the sky with their renewal of power."

Greetings All,

I've had such a great time working on this one. I thought I'd share some of the goals I wanted to shoot for:

- To paint an advanced civilisation from the air.
- To achieve a cloudscape that advances towards us in depth.
- To put the viewer on a ship, watching this horror take place.
- And to try and achieve a look that in say 5,000 years, with you on that ship too, a photograph from yourself might capture this scene.

The city was a fun challenge, and a large body of water was on the list of things to try and render. The explosions too are a new thing for me, and have been a blast, heh, to have a go at. And getting the viewer on this ship has been fun as well.

When I first thought Grand Space Opera, I compared painting this scene to that of conducting an Opus - Throwing in space ships, an epic landscape, a setting sun, mass explosions and lots going on. All in all, I'm glad to have been part of this challenge, and have greatly appreciated your feedback and help during this process. I've sure enjoyed seeing the variety of work everyone's been posting. Great work!

Hope you have as much fun viewing this work as it was to create it.

All the best,

- Tonsen

Last edited by PatrickJensen : 01 January 2005 at 06:31 AM.

10 October 2004
Hmmm. The goal of this was to see if I could get a camera's lens to give the kind of scale I rendered below. Might use it, not sure yet. Just showing another thought here,

Last edited by PatrickJensen : 10 October 2004 at 05:52 AM.

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: Concept Sketch in Progress

Hey everybody!

Stole an hour tonight to rough out this concept. Got the basic direction I'm wanting to go. Not sure how far I want to put the viewer off the planet, so the foreground elements are really rough right now. Got the preliminary pallette down though....and I think there needs to be more ships, heh. So, I'll post more as it comes!

Thoughts, suggestions, always welcome

Cheers!

- Jensen

10 October 2004
The scetch has great mood and much density. The shapes are to loose yet to evaluate the image accurate. Looks promising > I´m looking forward to see further development.

10 October 2004
wow! I love the scale and direction you are taking. It reminds me of pirates ships but in space.

10 October 2004

Truely good colors in here, maybe the greenish tint on the right is a little "out of place" in the reds, oranges, and blacks, but overally a good mood!

10 October 2004
*twitchdie* That's about all I can do. So awsome. The colors and light and the composition too. I love it, just like that. So that's a garuntee the finished product will blow me away.

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: Concept Sketch Getting there

Thanks for the critiques and enthusiasm! Lessening the green was a good choice there. This is just an idea for the bottom half of the piece. It'll be fun refining structures once I lock down a concept. Still might try some other options, so we'll see what happens.

Gotta run, and thanks for the input!

- Jensen

10 October 2004
wow, very dynamic, very strong. This is going to be great

10 October 2004
That's awesome. Great perspective.
<mutters something about competition and goes to work on own piece>

10 October 2004
That's great!
esp the depth and the color!
Hope to see the final!!!
M&S 3D (3rd Ru.. Up) Hi-Res l Detail l WIP
Journey 2D unfinished

10 October 2004
The colors used in the sunset, explosions (?) are beautiful. Almost looks like the sky is on fire. The cityscape gives a look of a city built around a beach. Good progress.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

10 October 2004
Cool

Very nice indeed, i like that yellow it makes it stand out

10 October 2004
Oho! Very strong atmosphere! I like the mood of destruction and burn-everything-you-see

10 October 2004
Great one! I also like the atmosphere very much so dont wast it (yea right... as if that is possible ) Keep that contrast of an orange and green color, which gives that apocalyptic feeling of last days of the planet. Maybe just add some spaceships or other flying object way in the back, like if they r pulling off, trying to escape from this mess. Only my opinion
I must also say that the way that u started, with 3d render is a smart move!

DW V 2d

Thread Closed share thread