Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Thomas Wendtner

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2004   #16
Concept Sketch: Return Of The Gods

Here is a refined Sketch. Details still missing.
Coming up next!
The Spaceship isn't final yet... still thinking about the size and positioning.

Cheerz

Old 10 October 2004   #17

Here is the sketch of a detail:
The Lighthouse

Old 10 October 2004   #18
cool stuff, reminds me of them great adventure
games I love so much !

Old 10 October 2004   #19
Hi Tommy, I was hoping that you enter the challenge but thought you probably won't be able to... Good to hear that things went better for you.
As for your sketches... dammit, your new avatar already kicks ass... but those sketches are godly and it's about the return of the gods... hihi, almost all cg gods have entered this challenge...
I wish you all the best!

Old 10 October 2004   #20
Interesting idea. Will love to see the final pencils (and then colors) on this. Nice ships concepts too.

Old 10 October 2004   #21
Smile

Thank u very much guys!

I decided to draw around 5 Concepts to this theme("Return of the Gods") and'll go from there.
New Sketches soon.

@coCoKNIght: U made me blush(and my day )!

Cheerz

Tom

Old 10 October 2004   #22
Heee Tommy!
Great to have you back here
Good luck with the challenge my friend.

Old 11 November 2004   #23
Tommy ... I really hate having to say this all the time, but "welcome back!" I understand how things don't always go as we want them to, but damn I wish you were around to post your stuff more frequently.

Good luck on the challenge. I'm liking your concepts so far, except for that 1 point perspective on your mothership. (bleah ... go 2 or 3 point please ) Actually, the last sketch has a really nice look to it, but I think an up-shot would do better to convey the grand scale of the spaceship.

I'll be checking your work. Keep going my friend.

Old 11 November 2004   #24
Hey Tommy!

I love the character sketch! The environments are cool too. I agree with Kirt about an upward-shot conveying a grander scale...but, I think it could also be more interesting to see the downward view.
Glad to see you back and good luck!

Old 11 November 2004   #25

A few doodles. Playing around with some ideas...

Old 11 November 2004   #26

And another concept doodle...

Old 11 November 2004   #27
Talking

Sorry for not updating so long...

Any way here you go. I am still far away from knowing, what I wanna do in the final concept, so I keep on doodling.
The most important point for me is to add also a twisted feeling. But that's hard for this subject(Especially for my style). I think that's the reason I take so long to come up with something usefull.
Any way... I will finish this challenge that or that way

Now to your replies:

@jeroen: Thanks mate! Love to have u in this one too

@Kirt: And I am glad to be back. If everthing works out fine, I'll be able to stay. I hope to get an industrierelated job. That's why I also working on my new website, Paintings, Concepts and an entry for the Expose 3.
About the perspective. You're absolutly right. It's boring. I think, in the end I will go with a twisted, Tim Burtonesque perspective(If possible). We will see,... my brain is cooking!
Thanks for your post and nice words... cheerz my friend!

@wildsheepchase: Thank you very much rachelYour questions/suggestions are answerd in Kirts reply. Thanks for stopping by. Cheers dudette!

Old 11 November 2004   #28
Tommy, good to see you in this challenge, I really enjoyed your Machineflesh thread. Those last sketches rock, man!

Steampunk - my entry

Old 11 November 2004   #29
Some may argue that post #10 & #16 are boring perspectives, but I think it's fairly fitting for the feel I'm getting from your concept. The idea is Return of the Gods, and the 1-point perspective gives the intimidating dynamic of something large and unknown coming straight towards you (in this case you are the small birdlike aboriginees). It might even be worth your while to add an altitude perspective to enhance the intimidation factor as the aboriginees seem to be fairly small in size

Looks like your characters are coming along very nicely, but why did you choose birdlike creatures? What's the story behind the aboriginees and why are the Gods coming back? And are the natives expecting the return?
I think I like your first character sketch best of all... the latest one atop the flea-like labor animal feels too human to me, I believe it is because of the long legs. I feel with your concept it might be best to stay away from anything human as it will enhance the fantastic feel of your other-worldy inhabitants as well as give more credit to your creativity, which will, in the end, be the biggest factor in who is most noticed.

I'm sorry, I havn't seen any of your other work, but based on your primitive sketches, I'm sure you're very well known and established in the field, I anticipate good things from you, good luck and take care

Last edited by SteveNewport : 11 November 2004 at 12:14 AM.

Old 11 November 2004   #30
I think I like the most recent one the best. It has a nice sense of drama to it. Alien designs are pretty cool too. Very intersesting ideas you have.

Thread Closed share thread